The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

scho

Those of you with an Rx1:

1. Lens shade. It's frustrating Sony doesn't include this in a $3k+ camera, and their after market version is wayyyy overpriced ($180!??). How many of you are using the shade (either Sony's a far cheaper 3rd party)? Do you find it necessary for flare reduction? Is the front element recessed enough to provide some shading and protection? That's what I use shades for mostly - protection.

2. Manual focus - is it friction or by wire?
I've been using the Fotodiox Pro lens shade made for the RX1 on my RX1R. It is light weight metal, rectangular, & vented. Does the job, $70 from Amazon.

V

Vivek

Those of you with an Rx1:

1. Lens shade. It's frustrating Sony doesn't include this in a $3k+ camera, and their after market version is wayyyy overpriced ($180!??). How many of you are using the shade (either Sony's a far cheaper 3rd party)? Do you find it necessary for flare reduction? Is the front element recessed enough to provide some shading and protection? That's what I use shades for mostly - protection.

2. Manual focus - is it friction or by wire?
I do not have a RX1.

1. eBay had a listing for "Gariz" hood ($14 shipped, eg: # 181706713183 - bought in anticipation of my future RX1 R II). Some use a 49 ->37 step down ring as a "hood".

2. fly-by-wire.

jim251

I use a Vello LHP-1, identical to the Sony, matte, $57. Nice piece. It's always on with a BW filter and I never use the lens cap. I like this setup so much that I also have it on my FE55. At 49mm the hood fits a couple others as well.

dandrewk

Pre orders for this camera start 11/05. Has it been announced when the camera actually ships? I can't seem to find that info.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Pre orders for this camera start 11/05. Has it been announced when the camera actually ships? I can't seem to find that info.
Interesting.

My dealer had the RX1R II in their ordering system two weeks ago and was able to place my order then.

biglouis

Thank you for the nice compliment. The thing about it, the Rx1 makes these kind of captures easy, and they happen on a regular basis.
And even easier with the tilty-flippy screen, which is an essential addition, imho.

LouisB

drofnad

I could have gotten closer but I only wanted to get so close to her, as she wasn't very happy.
I appreciate the sentiment in "to HER" --"creepy crawly" (unluvable baddies) so commonly given as "him"s--, but had the opposite gender come to mind here for both the seeming leggy thin proportions AND the daylight jaunt --more typical of males? (Though I read somewhere that it's a decade before gender is readily evident.) Had one (or similar) as a pet, in a different age; then one of those orange-legged ones for a long time, and so gentle.) How nice a photo, and that you thought to do that and not grab a killing implement ... . :)

-d.

Last edited:

drofnad

I asked a rep at Sony if the EVF cavity represented an egress point for dust and his answer was "no less than the pop-up flash on the original".
Maybe it's a fanciful perspective --and not diction--, to see of-what-we-are-made (dust) escaping reality into imagery, with a happily matching answer ("no less than"), but I think that the intent was "an ingress point" & "no more than" ! But the fanciful trip is fun. :D
-d.

dandrewk

Those of you with the Rx1: Is an add-on grip necessary? Do you have one?

Amazon has a bundle deal, the Fotodiox grip + lens hood for $100. I already know I want a hood. Not sure about a grip.

jkjod

Amazon has a bundle deal, the Fotodiox grip + lens hood for $100. I already know I want a hood. Not sure about a grip.
I find the Fotodiox grip improves the handling 10 fold of my RX1r - so for me, yes absolutely worth it. I have a cheap eBay hood that was similar to the Fotodiox hood, but i find myself not really using it. So for me, grip yes, hood no. Hope this helps.

Zony user

The camera is front heavy and desperately needs a grip.

And a soft-release button is also recommended. It enables me to shoot with 1-1.5 stops worth of slower shutter speeds.

dandrewk

Doing some Bokeh tests with the FE35/2.8 + A7rII.

I does well when stopped down (7.1) for a landscape type shot:

Going to F2.8 for tight focus... not so good. Very bad bokeh, imo:

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

It is better with a grip. I use the RRS L bracket with grip if I expect to use the RX1R on a tripod plus it's basically body armor! For a smaller set up I use the Garitz case which has a small grip built in. Without anything the camera is a bit 'slippery slab' IMHO.

Never needed a soft release though plus I always seem to lose them anyway.

dandrewk

It looks like the new camera is just a hair larger. I emailed Fotodiox about compatibility. I'll post their response.

scho

I have an old RRS L plate that was made for the Panasonic G1, but it fits my RX1R perfectly. Full access to battery and SD card.

Last edited:

ramosa

That just about put me over the edge right there. Luckily the next few months are my(me, I can actually put gear money aside from prying eyes) money months. I will sell my 35 1.4 and get this. I know I said it does not make the best business sense and looking back at the beginning of this thread 4 or 5 folks said no than ordered it. I maybe joining them. Here is the thing outside the extra 2000 dollars buying and selling the 35. 1.4

Here are the Pros.

Maybe the best 35mm lens i can get my hands on
Exactly the same sensor as my A7rII so my files will be identical
Same AF module built in
Same uncompressed file
I can use my current Nissin and my studio strobes
Backup to my system
Serve as my 35mm lens
Serve as my get my *** out the door and go shoot. I actually need this one for my head. You get lazy after 40 years
My vacation camera which when I bring my system I wind up never even using it. No excuse camera
My grandson. Enough said
One in the oven. Grandkid, sex unknown. LOL
I never buy a camera for me personally , I have no real Guy toy its all business gear. Hard to explain
One thing my system DOES NOT HAVE. A leaf shutter, thats freaking huge for me.
Maybe even smaller than my single 35 1.4 lens

Cons there is really only one that smacks me immediately cost. My ultimate answer to that. So how many lives do you have i get one not sure about anyone else. ROTFLMAO
Guy:

One comment and one question. I smiled when, rapidly reading this thread today, I saw you progress from an initial "no" to a "likely" (in terms of purchase intention). Also, is the autofocus in the Rx1r II the same as the A7rII? (I don't know, but want to double check.)

Thanks for any help you can provide--and for keeping this thread moving forward.

ramosa

Gary: I may have just answered my prior question. Not the best source for cameras, but ...

CNET: "Autofocus system. One of the biggest issues with the earlier RX1 models was Sony's poorly performing 25-area contrast autofocus system. The RX1R II inherits the much-improved hybrid system -- 399 phase-detection points in addition to the contrast AF -- that's in the A7R II."

karlfoto

Re: Rx1r2 and RX100 IV Frankencamera

Not sure where this could go.

Is there a demand for a an RX1rii style camera (size, weight, evf, 42mp) with an improved 24-70 zoom (ono;y because of the bigger sensor) similar to an RX100 IV on steroids?

I would love such a camera for lightweight backpacking?

Last edited: