The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

Arne Hvaring

DPR have got their hands on a production model and performed their usual resolution test. The results are looking terrible...

V

Vivek

DPR have got their hands on a production model and performed their usual resolution test. The results are looking terrible...
From the tester (check out the other posts from him as well) at DPR-

By Barney Britton

We're shooting a flat field, here, from relatively close range. With cameras of this type we always expect edge performance to appear poorer than center. The Leica Q does well but bear in mind that you're seeing its files after automatic corrections are applied by the camera.

Sample images of normal subjects, at normal focus distances are sharp edge-to-edge. We'll post a sample gallery as soon as we can.

Brian Mosley

Where can I put in an advance order for an RX1R3? :grin:

Completely redesigned lens to match the sensor, hypersonic focusing motors, built in ND filter :thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

dandrewk

From the tester (check out the other posts from him as well) at DPR-
Yeah, it scared me at first until I read further. It was especially alarming to see the RX1r seem to do much better in the corners. But that went away when changing to comparable resolution.

Does this tell us anything we didn't already know about these types of cameras?

V

Vivek

Not really.

I do wish that there was a 24mp RX1R II with a better sensor -ie., with much better high ISO performance.

In my case it is the tilt LCD and (to a less extent the EVF) the flash hotshoe that makes me want the RX1R II despite the 42mp sensor.

Brian Mosley

Not really.

I do wish that there was a 24mp RX1R II with a better sensor -ie., with much better high ISO performance.

In my case it is the tilt LCD and (to a less extent the EVF) the flash hotshoe that makes me want the RX1R II despite the 42mp sensor.
Snap! :thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

Jeff Kott

Yeah, it scared me at first until I read further. It was especially alarming to see the RX1r seem to do much better in the corners. But that went away when changing to comparable resolution.

Yes, this tells us several things.

1. If you're looking for a tool for fine art photography or other close range flat field photography, the RX1 isn't it. Of course, the lens designers could have corrected for this, but any such corrections would have probably had negative effects on other qualities of the RX1s' sonar lens that are more important to us.

2. DP Review should have a warning on its studio shot comparison tool that says don't compare the results of the studio comparison test done with wide angle lenses, such as a 35 mm lens, with the test images shot on cameras that used longer focal length lenses, like the 55 mm lens on the A7 series cameras or the 85 mm lens used on the D810. Because, of course, since they fill the test scene with the image, the wider focal length lens is much closer to the test scene target and, therefore, the difference between the distance of the sensor from the center vs. the edges of the target are relatively greater on the wider lenses.

I could probably think of a few more things. :bugeyes:

This scared me too! 'Terrible' is the right word for corner softness/smearing on the paint tubes – worse than anything I clicked on for comparison. It doesn't seem to improve over the RX1R.

What could have gone wrong? Does Jeff's point #2 above, that a wide angle was bound to do this at a closer distance, explain what happened? If so, Leica Q should have done worse with 28mm, and new sensor should at least improve upon RX1R? When DPR saw these results they should have re-tested and probably should have asked for another sample. Did they perhaps get a decentered copy of the lens?

I was on a list for one, as a pocketable companion to A7rII that I use for landscapes. But now I'm thinking wait-and-see.

Kirk

Last edited:

dandrewk

This scared me too! 'Terrible' is the right word for corner softness/smearing on the paint tubes – worse than anything I clicked on for comparison. It doesn't seem to improve on the RX1R.

What could have gone wrong? Does Jeff's point #2 above, that a wide angle was bound to do this, explain what happened? If so, Leica Q should have done worse, with 28mm, and new sensor should at least improve upon RX1R? Surely when they saw results like this they must have re-tested carefully. Did they perhaps get a decentered copy of the lens?

I was on a list for one, as a pocketable companion to A7rII that I use for landscapes. But now I'm thinking wait-and-see.

Kirk
Really, I am not in the least bit "scared" anymore. Shooting a wide angle lens on a flat field close up will alway yield the same results. They had to get about four feet from the subject center, and at that distance the edges of the frame are significantly farther from the sensor than the center. The edges aren't "soft", they are just out of focus. Choose a focus spot at the edge and the results will be different.

The Leica has lens corrections baked into the RAW file. The Sony does not.

The DPR testers commented that "real world" tests confirm the RX1rII is sharp edge to edge (shooting at normal distances). More samples are promised to be published soon.

Jeff Kott

Kirk
If you want to get comfortable with your decision to get this camera for landscapes, look at the RX1(R) image thread on Fred Miranda. Ronny Olson's Iceland images are among the many spectacular images in the thread.

Lucille

I remember some of this same rhetoric when the original Rx1 was released, and the test charts show this and show that, soft here, fuzzy there. I remember a lot of Fuji folks claiming the Rx1 wasn't as good as the Fuji offerings, ect. I read it all, and even tried some other gear to see for myself, needless to say, I got rid of my Fuji gear rather quickly when I compared them on the big monitor, as for my eyes, the Rx1 killed the Xtrans APS-C images in a rout.

The Rx1r MII might not live up to the hype, I don't know yet, until I get the files on my screen. But when you pair a world class sensor with a world class lens, I have to think it will be incredible, but time shall tell. Don't sweat the test charts folks, they only tell part of the story, some of us will bring you real world images, using the camera as it should be used.

I have said this repeatedly, the Rx1 needs to be shot in full manual mode, you must have full control, that's where the magic files happen. If you shoot this in automatic, yeah, some of the other camera makers files are not far from it.

The color, the pop, the richness, comes from large apertures and that Zeiss Sonnar.

World class IQ in a tiny footprint that one can hold in the palm of their hand. A camera that is easy to take with you everywhere you go and not give up a thing in IQ to any other full frame offering out there...

Lucille

We early buyers hope.

You can take it to the bank and book it!

the Mark II will take the Rx1 to another level, which that in and of itself is outstanding.

You will still have to have a 'eye' for photography, you will still have to see a scene, you will till have to compose, to decide how much depth of field you need, but once
you get those files on the monitor, you will see a look, a richness, a depth, even if the scene is simple. The original RX1 had me taking the simplest of images, just to see
how they come out, and they came out with a special look in my eyes, others often accusing me of photoshop trickery or some other forms of sorcery..

I am not a photoshop person, I spend around 3-5 minutes in post, in fact I could use some photoshop lessons from some of you more experienced photographers then me.

I capture, I add some contrast, some brightness as I tend to underexpose on purpose, I resize and upload.

Sony Rx1, 35mm Zeiss f/2, ISO320, 1/200sec

Pradeep

You can take it to the bank and book it!

the Mark II will take the Rx1 to another level, which that in and of itself is outstanding.

Great image Lucille, thanks for sharing.

I've been debating getting a second A7RII as backup or the Rx1R2 (rather strange and long name, must admit) for an important trip next month to India where I will be shooting the Taj and other places. Since I will be traveling a lot I've decided to just go with the Sony instead of my Pentax or Canon gear.

I was on the fence a bit but finally opted for the Rx1R2, have booked it.

My reasoning is

1. It would be great to try a smaller package - I'm constantly on the quest for the best IQ in the smallest form.

2. The 35 lens sounds fantastic. I've shot a lot with the 35 2.8 on the A7R and it is the perfect FL for general purpose use. However, IMHO the current version is not the best and I am loathe to get the 1.4 as it is so much bigger.

3. No dust spotting, that is a benefit nobody seems to talk about but it is quite a time saver.

4. Even though it would make more sense to just get another A7RII for ease of use with multiple lenses, there will be times when I need to be more discreet or simply need a smaller package and the fast lens on this one would be very useful. If the sensor is as good as the bigger siblings (and I see no reason why not), then low light imaging would be great even without IBIS.

5. Imagine a small camera like this one with silent shutter enabled, review turned off - total stealth mode as long as you don't bring it up to your eye. With the huge resolution, you can crop and rotate to your heart's content. Candid photography will never be the same.

I know it sounds like a costly experiment, but I don't like rentals. For a two week trip you are better off either buying new/used and reselling if you don't want to keep it. From what I've seen of the first gen model this may well be a keeper.

V

Vivek

Pradeep,

#3 is mostly a non issue if you are careful.

#5 could be disappointing if you have too high an expectation. The camera really is not an impediment.

Last edited:

Pradeep

Pradeep,

#3 is mostly a non issue if you are careful.

#5 could be disappointing if you have too high an expectation. The camera really is not an impediment.

Vivek, true, but sometimes even when you are careful those dust bunnies creep in and there are almost always a few to spot out. Minor annoyance perhaps but occasionally it can get to be a pain.

I am not a street photographer at all and hardly do 'candids' either. However, it is all about perception. When you are shooting people, the bigger the camera/lens, the more conscious people get and you don't get natural reactions that easily. I am bad at formal portraits, I prefer taking a picture of the person when they are not aware it is being taken, brings out their true personality much better. The silent shutter is great in this regard, even when the person is aware, they don't know the picture has been taken and sometimes they relax a bit more.

Almost everyone I've shown the silent shutter mode to (even pros), is blown away with the possibilities.

Finally, yes, the camera is never an impediment, circumstances are and most of all it is your own personality and abilities. I just am not the 'in your face' kind of photographer, find that hard to do with strangers in strange places :)