The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

eleanorbrown

Well I called B&H earlier today and asked if my RX1rII could be shipped today (overnight) and the person in customer service said "sure". However my order status has not changed in my online account....still says "processing" with no UPS track number. Wondering if B&H just won't ship until the official release date on Wednesday....??? eleanor

Jeff Kott

....but it seems that the lens is struggling a bit with the increased resolution.
Are you able to tell whether it's struggling with the resolution as opposed to being slightly misfocused. A lot of early users of the RX1 thought their lenses were slightly soft when relying on autofocus, but when they tried manually focusing using magnified view found there was no problem. I'd bet the DPR testers use AF.

dandrewk

I've been looking at those. Thankfully they are better than the lab-samples, but it seems that the lens is struggling a bit with the increased resolution. Som CA is clearly visible and DPR has a camera with a soft left-hand side at the wider apertures. Oh well, I'm not cancelling my preorder yet. By the time we get delivery on these shores, members here will no doubt have posted their impressions. Looking forward to that.
There is no issue that I can see regarding any left side softness. If you are referring to the image of the leaf on cement, it's shot wide open and the camera is not 90 degrees with the ground. This is the expected result.

CA - I found one image, the one that has a small bridge over a creek. It's deliberately underexposed by 2.5 stops, and there is purple fringing where the shadowed branches are silhouetted against a bright sky. This will cause CA with any lens. However, even though this image is jpeg only, 30 seconds with Lightroom removed all traces of fringing.

I've processed most of RAW images. I am indeed seeing what everyone else saw with the RX1/r - the images just explode off the monitor! The DPR images aren't show stoppers or award winners, but they do show what the camera can do.

I'm sure we'll see lots more in the next few days.

dandrewk

Well I called B&H earlier today and asked if my RX1rII could be shipped today (overnight) and the person in customer service said "sure". However my order status has not changed in my online account....still says "processing" with no UPS track number. Wondering if B&H just won't ship until the official release date on Wednesday....??? eleanor
I suspect the B&H reps are as confused by the policy as we are.

Does your status show "new order processing"? Some are showing "sent to warehouse", which is the next step after "new order processing". These might be only orders that don't have overnight shipping.

stephen.s1

On vehicle for delivery today. The spare battery. The rest of the order is in warehouse.... evidently waiting for release date.

eleanorbrown

Just spoke with B&H again this morning...they confirmed they can't ship until Wednesday. Eleanor

I suspect the B&H reps are as confused by the policy as we are.

Does your status show "new order processing"? Some are showing "sent to warehouse", which is the next step after "new order processing". These might be only orders that don't have overnight shipping.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have not been pre-ordering from B&H lately. Too many people and they wait till d-day. I go to the small brick and mortar places more now.

Arne Hvaring

There is no issue that I can see regarding any left side softness. If you are referring to the image of the leaf on cement, it's shot wide open and the camera is not 90 degrees with the ground. This is the expected result.

CA - I found one image, the one that has a small bridge over a creek. It's deliberately underexposed by 2.5 stops, and there is purple fringing where the shadowed branches are silhouetted against a bright sky. This will cause CA with any lens. However, even though this image is jpeg only, 30 seconds with Lightroom removed all traces of fringing.

I've processed most of RAW images. I am indeed seeing what everyone else saw with the RX1/r - the images just explode off the monitor! The DPR images aren't show stoppers or award winners, but they do show what the camera can do.

I'm sure we'll see lots more in the next few days.

As for left side softness: take a look at DSC00481. Shot at f2,8. Pin sharp in the center, falling off more and more to become rather blurry at the left edge. The right-hand side keeps sharpness visibly better to the edge.
Regarding CA: Look at DSC00523, shot at f4,5. Windows (to the right) and flagpoles and black pylons to the left, it is really all over the place. Easy to see, and easy to remove, but it's there. And I can point out others.

However I think one should not read too much into this, after all we have a sample of just one, and as Jeff points out above, some slight focus error might influence the results.
Impressive shadow-recovery btw!

dandrewk

As for left side softness: take a look at DSC00481. Shot at f2,8. Pin sharp in the center, falling off more and more to become rather blurry at the left edge. The right-hand side keeps sharpness visibly better to the edge.
Regarding CA: Look at DSC00523, shot at f4,5. Windows (to the right) and flagpoles and black pylons to the left, it is really all over the place. Easy to see, and easy to remove, but it's there. And I can point out others.

However I think one should not read too much into this, after all we have a sample of just one, and as Jeff points out above, some slight focus error might influence the results.
Impressive shadow-recovery btw!
Keeping in mind that DSC00481 is shot at f2.8, I only see a tiny amount of softness on the extreme left hand side. Oddly, this doesn't seem to affect the foreground bridge. From playing with all of these files, I see the well known field curvature of a wide angle, fixed lens. I also see that Adobe's lens profile is not up to the task of fixing it. The shadow recovery image I posted above (DSC00583) initially looked like it was shot with a mild fish eye. The tree on the left was shaped like a left parenthesis, and I had to manually fix it in LR. I expect the profiles from DxO and C1 to do a much better job.

I looked at DSC00523 - I really don't see any, and believe me I tried. I went all the way to 3:1. Did you download the images? Part of this could be due to DPR's image viewer, which I have never liked. Particularly the loupe view mode, as it seems to introduce its own distortion. From reading the comments to the DPR gallery, it seems others are in agreement.

I totally agree, this is not even a mild tempest in a teacup. I predict, in another week, we will see thousands of images - along with detailed pixel peeking analysis.

Arne Hvaring

Keeping in mind that DSC00481 is shot at f2.8, I only see a tiny amount of softness on the extreme left hand side. Oddly, this doesn't seem to affect the foreground bridge. From playing with all of these files, I see the well known field curvature of a wide angle, fixed lens. I also see that Adobe's lens profile is not up to the task of fixing it. The shadow recovery image I posted above (DSC00583) initially looked like it was shot with a mild fish eye. The tree on the left was shaped like a left parenthesis, and I had to manually fix it in LR. I expect the profiles from DxO and C1 to do a much better job.

I looked at DSC00523 - I really don't see any, and believe me I tried. I went all the way to 3:1. Did you download the images? Part of this could be due to DPR's image viewer, which I have never liked. Particularly the loupe view mode, as it seems to introduce its own distortion. From reading the comments to the DPR gallery, it seems others are in agreement.

I totally agree, this is not even a mild tempest in a teacup. I predict, in another week, we will see thousands of images - along with detailed pixel peeking analysis.

CA in DSC00523: have a look at the JPeg (at 100%) where it hasn't been removed.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was hoping they would ship today. Good to hear and photos please. LOL
My local bricks and mortar store called me today to tell me that my RX1R II was due for delivery tomorrow afternoon at the store. It's on the Fedex truck apparently. :thumbup:

Jeff Kott

I have not been pre-ordering from B&H lately. Too many people and they wait till d-day. I go to the small brick and mortar places more now.
I prefer to order from my local bricks and mortar store too, especially if I have actually gone into the store and handled equipment before I have decided to buy it. It's only fair to buy from them in that situation.

However if I decide to buy something without any information from or handling of equipment at my local store, I like to support certain websites that provide a lot of free information that I find valuable. The best way to support those websites is by using their links to B&H, Amazon or Adorama.

I'm also hesitant to buy lenses at my local store, although I have bought plenty from them. The problem is that I have bought bad copies of lenses and my local store does not have a huge inventory. So if I get a lens and it's not a good copy, my local store may not have one on hand to make an exchange. That is never a problem with B&H.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jeff,

I completely agree.

I don't tend to test lots of lenses but if I did then it's true that using someone like B&H would be the best way to do so. I always wondered how folks were able to return so many lens copies and maintain a good relationship with a local store. That would be difficult for me to do with folks who have to order in specially many of the lenses I've bought.

For the bodies it's a no brained for me because whenever I've had any issue with repairs or warranty they have always gone the extra mile for me. Perhaps recognition of the amount of gear and loyalty over the years. I'd rather order locally at my favorite dealer and wait for the items to come in for me. Small stuff though that they don't have in stock I'll buy online for the convenience though.

TBH they make their margins on trades and consignment much more than new gear. It works for both of us. The RX1RII should only cost me a net few $'00 by the time I've rationalized some of my other Sony gear towards it. They'll make their 30% on resale of my trades and a few % on the new item and I won't have to bother with the hassles of private sales that I have little time to handle.

Pradeep

I prefer to order from my local bricks and mortar store too, especially if I have actually gone into the store and handled equipment before I have decided to buy it. It's only fair to buy from them in that situation.

However if I decide to buy something without any information from or handling of equipment at my local store, I like to support certain websites that provide a lot of free information that I find valuable. The best way to support those websites is by using their links to B&H, Amazon or Adorama.

I'm also hesitant to buy lenses at my local store, although I have bought plenty from them. The problem is that I have bought bad copies of lenses and my local store does not have a huge inventory. So if I get a lens and it's not a good copy, my local store may not have one on hand to make an exchange. That is never a problem with B&H.
I used to support my local Brick & M store here but realized that the so called 'new' item was often the one that was shown to customers who were allowed to handle it. Even if they did not put in a card and try it out, it still becomes a 'demo' in my opinion, but was sold as new to me. Then one day I bought a lens which did not change its aperture at all, realized that the blades were stuck and the lens must have been sitting on the shelf for months if not years. Of course they changed it for me, but by then the damage was done.

I've ordered from B&H many times and have gone and bought stuff in person too, but found that a lot of their items are returned by others and a few times key pieces were missing. That is always going to be the issue with such a huge store and large inventory with buyers returning/exchanging stuff all the time.

I now support a dealer in PA that many here are familiar with. They have given me great service over the past 8 years and often get me items earlier than I could anywhere else - unless I am the first in line at a major store.

I agree completely that if I've gone to a local store to try something out, fairness demands I buy it from them, but these days who gets to 'try things out'? We are all too caught up in the mania of the latest and greatest and buy even before major reviews are out, based simply on anticipation! Hedonism is here to stay..........

V

Vivek

We are all too caught up in the mania of the latest and greatest and buy even before major reviews are out, based simply on anticipation! Hedonism is here to stay..........
While I do not give a hoot about the "major reviews", I will have to say, speak for yourself. :LOL: :salute:

Jeff Kott

While I do not give a hoot about the "major reviews", I will have to say, speak for yourself. :LOL: :salute:
I actually prefer the "minor reviews" from forum members here and on FM. :D

Although with respect to the RX1Rii, considering the proven sensor and proven lens, I don't need any reviews - I'd rather review it for myself.

And as far as waiting, I've been waiting for this camera for 18 months since I rented version 1 and used it on a trip. I would have bought a version 1, except for the hassle with the external EVF. When the first RX100 came out with the pop up EVF, my first thought was I hope they do this on the RX1.

V

Vivek

In my case, I do not give much creddence to T* or the presumed Zeiss lens. i wanted a compact cam with an EVF and articulating LCD. i am OK with a tilt only LCD. Would have preferred the RX1R2 with a 24mp sensor or even the A7S' sensor.

Yes, it has been a long wait.