The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

biglouis

We'll have to meet up so I can take a gander.

I am afraid to announce that I have moved to the dark side since my original liking for the RX1Rm2 was enthused...

LouisB

dandrewk

Picked up the new RX this morning and headed right to a local street fair. I brought along a couple of spare batteries and lens shade, along with a remote cable release.

Initial thoughts:

The popup EVF is really nice and very functional. I tried to use it without the eyecup, but found the front lens of the EVF picks up too much skin oil. I'll keep the eyecup affixed, but it really isn't hard at all to install and remove.

After the first few shots, I thought "Hmmm, I thought this was supposed to be a silent shutter." It was noisy! Yes, there IS a setting for it. Whisper quiet now.

The Fotodiox grip for the Rx1 works, but does not fit very snug. After trying it for awhile, it really didn't make the camera any more/less comfortable to hold, at least for my hands. I'll be returning the grip.

The AF works fabulously well. In fact, when I attached the Sony cable release (yes, it DOES work! :)) for some stealth, I got a huge percentage of keepers.

It eats through the batteries. I got maybe 90 shots from the first battery, but I didn't do a very good job of turning the camera off between shots.

I'm posting a few images in the other thread. So far... Wow!

V

Vivek

Congrats, Dandrewk!
You had good light to play with!

The quiet shutter (it really is) comes into play when you turn off the fake electronic sounds! Then one can hear the lens focusing (in AF mode).

Battery is amazingly poor. I have been preparing for that with a Panasonic GM1 but it really did not help at all.

Picked up the new RX this morning and headed right to a local street fair. I brought along a couple of spare batteries and lens shade, along with a remote cable release.

Initial thoughts:

The popup EVF is really nice and very functional. I tried to use it without the eyecup, but found the front lens of the EVF picks up too much skin oil. I'll keep the eyecup affixed, but it really isn't hard at all to install and remove.

After the first few shots, I thought "Hmmm, I thought this was supposed to be a silent shutter." It was noisy! Yes, there IS a setting for it. Whisper quiet now.

The Fotodiox grip for the Rx1 works, but does not fit very snug. After trying it for awhile, it really didn't make the camera any more/less comfortable to hold, at least for my hands. I'll be returning the grip.

The AF works fabulously well. In fact, when I attached the Sony cable release (yes, it DOES work! :)) for some stealth, I got a huge percentage of keepers.

It eats through the batteries. I got maybe 90 shots from the first battery, but I didn't do a very good job of turning the camera off between shots.

I'm posting a few images in the other thread. So far... Wow!

eleanorbrown

Whew! been a testy day....pun intended. First let me clarify....I LOVE my RX1r...always have...it is so good wide open I mostly shoot at f2 as it is as good wide open as it is at other apertures...sharp sharp and incredible micro contrast. I point, auto focus and know it will be in focus at f2...period. Also, I am not a professional tester...but I've been photographing all my life so usually go by what I'm seeing. With this said I got my RX1r2 at noon today and have been testing ALL afternoon and into the evening. My 35 lens on my RX1r2 can't provide a decent match to same lens on the RX1r....I figured either it was my technique or more pixels are too much for it. All tripod mounted during testing. Options for moire all turned OFF.

Soooo, I went to my A7r2 with my Zeiss 35mm 1.4 lens and compared both lenses at f2. See samples. Still my RX1r2 35 lens is still soft wide open. I don't think I remember ever sending back a lens because I didn't think it met the expected standards but I'm actually considering sending this camera back to B&H. Because so many errors can come into play in comparing...focus off every so slightly, etc etc etc I have been testing for hours. I will try more tomorrow but things are not looking good for this particular camera lens combination. I'd rather shoot with my Rx1r which I know I can trust. I'm also waiting to hear what others are saying about their RX1r2 wide open also. My camera sharpens up nicely at 2.8 but that's not good enough for a camera this expensive. (samples at 100 percent, RX1r2 on top in both images)....If I'm hearing others are finding this lens to be stellar wide open I will re order (if I decide to send this copy back).....time will tell. (RAW conversion in C1 at default sharpening 120 .8 1. Yes I could sharpen more but this is about comparing these lenses) ISO 100..... eleanor

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

dandrewk

Eleanor - I'm sorry to hear this. I'm not sure what is going on with your camera. I went through all my shots today taken at f/2.0, and can't find any issues with them. You may have a bad lens. Bummer.

Here are couple I took today at f/2.0. No processing outside of lens profiles:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Eleanor different sensor all together. When I got my A7rII I noticed immediately it has a much softer look to the files and to get the pop I increased the sharpness. With the A7rII it just needs more and I got over that right away that I had to sharpen more. In C1 I use 280,.5,.5 to get the level my A7r was, I say try that on the RX2 what I call it than compare to the Rx1 at your current levels they are just different sensors that need different levels. I actually like this because if I want that softer look it's already there in the file but if I want the higher level I have to go over of what I was used to. Try those levels see if it kicks up. It maybe just that or you may have a issue too. But give that a try.

V

Vivek

Eleanor, I mentioned this in the other thread that it is going take some "adjustments" interms of handling as well as post processing to come to terms with the RX1RII. The differences in sharpness i see between the RAWs and the in camera jpegs is huge. The jpegs appear very crisp and sharp (did Sony figure out Barry's processing secrets? :) ).

eleanorbrown

I will definitely do this Guy but why does this lens/ camera combination sharpen up VERY nicely at 2.8 with same default sharpening I mentioned. One would think other f stops might also have the softness issue too??? How would this sensor effect the lens at f2...not only sharpening but micro contrast ???. I hope this (the sensor) is the issue and not a bad copy of the lens on my camera because I really don't want to send it back. Thanks for you help!! PS...doesn't the A7R2 also have the same sensor and software as in the RX1r2?? Eleanor

Eleanor different sensor all together. When I got my A7rII I noticed immediately it has a much softer look to the files and to get the pop I increased the sharpness. With the A7rII it just needs more and I got over that right away that I had to sharpen more. In C1 I use 280,.5,.5 to get the level my A7r was, I say try that on the RX2 what I call it than compare to the Rx1 at your current levels they are just different sensors that need different levels. I actually like this because if I want that softer look it's already there in the file but if I want the higher level I have to go over of what I was used to. Try those levels see if it kicks up. It maybe just that or you may have a issue too. But give that a try.

Guy Mancuso

Yes the A7rII and Rx2 are identical sensors why I mentioned the sharpening values it should carry over exactly to match the A7rII..

Also check in you menus if you have some defaults on you don't want like NR and stuff like that. Lens corrections as well. I wish I had one in hand to help.

Guy Mancuso

I will definitely do this Guy but why does this lens/ camera combination sharpen up VERY nicely at 2.8 with same default sharpening I mentioned. One would think other f stops might also have the softness issue too??? How would this sensor effect the lens at f2...not only sharpening but micro contrast ???. I hope this (the sensor) is the issue and not a bad copy of the lens on my camera because I really don't want to send it back. Thanks for you help!! PS...doesn't the A7R2 also have the same sensor and software as in the RX1r2?? Eleanor
Also fast lenses usually are best one stop to two stops down than wide open. But it should be a small improvement not a big jump .

eleanorbrown

Guy......the sharpening as you suggested helps a lot...thanks. Yes I realize most lenses are better a stop or two down but I was initially comparing the same lens on my RX1r...both at f2 and got very very different results. But as you mentioned they do NOT have the same sensor! The out of focus areas are downright dreamy at f2 on the RX1r2 however and I'm sure the same will be true at 2.8. Really lovely bokeh!!! Thanks again! Eleanor

Also fast lenses usually are best one stop to two stops down than wide open. But it should be a small improvement not a big jump .

Guy Mancuso

Guy......the sharpening as you suggested helps a lot...thanks. Yes I realize most lenses are better a stop or two down but I was initially comparing the same lens on my RX1r...both at f2 and got very very different results. But as you mentioned they do NOT have the same sensor! The out of focus areas are downright dreamy at f2 on the RX1r2 however and I'm sure the same will be true at 2.8. Really lovely bokeh!!! Thanks again! Eleanor
Check that Low pass filter setting as Suggested I forgot all about that. Yes your just dealing with different sensors so one immediately thinks something is wrong. I did too until I realized how much smoother this 42mpx sensor is.

Try testing with LPF off for now until you feel the lens is reacting better wide open. Than adjust by taste later to your shooting. There making a big deal out of this setting, I'm not as I would just run it off anyway.

Eleanor said in her first post that the moire/LPF options were Off. Folks are reporting that the middle choice does not degrade sharpness and deals well with moire. So only if it were on the highest setting would it have degraded sharpness?

I wonder if some unintended default sharpening is occurring in the A7R2 files? IMO it would be most revealing to see files from both cameras without any sharpening at all.

And/or compare f2 on your RXR1 and RXR2, instead of the Zeiss f1.4 @ f2?

Kirk

PS, sorry to suggest more pixel-peeping, but I confess I have a vested interest: My dealer isn't on Sony's A list, and my A7RII arrived later than other folks got theirs. So I have a time-lag of a week or so to see how issues like this turn out for RX2.

I recall that in the DPR tests (that weren't set up very well) I thought the RX1's raw file resolution, both center and corners, looked a little better than RX2.

Last edited:
Check that Low pass filter setting as Suggested I forgot all about that. Yes your just dealing with different sensors so one immediately thinks something is wrong. I did too until I realized how much smoother this 42mpx sensor is.

Try testing with LPF off for now until you feel the lens is reacting better wide open. Than adjust by taste later to your shooting. There making a big deal out of this setting, I'm not as I would just run it off anyway.

In the crops above, Eleanor was comparing to the a7RII with FE 35/1.4 @ f/2 wasn't she? Same sensor.

Eleanor - Definitely check the LPF setting but it shouldn't be that drastic of a difference - although I hope it is.