The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

tashley

Subscriber Member
:thumbup:
Thank you Tashley:

What I meant was that I open them in Lightroom, and beyond cropping, I prefer not to do much of anything else. It's Open, Maybe Crop, and that's it...
Just to be clear: opening the raw file in LR, OR in Capture One, or in anything else, is effectively 'developing' it. They all apply their own blend of profiling and noise reduction and so on, all of which you can then change. But there is no such thing as an 'out of the camera' RAW file other than as input fodder for a demosaicing algorithm. In terms of what you, as a human, can actually get a visual on, it doesn't exist - unless you read code... It's really important to understand that LR or anything else is making just as many decisions about how the file looks to you as the camera does when it spits out a JPEG. The only difference is that the RAW file still contains options, and the raw developer lets you exercise them with a degree of flexibility denied you by a JPEG file.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Good luck Guy. I hear they are heavily constrained. Hot seller.
No, not for immediate delivery. Heck, I got given a tease that mine was arriving on 11/27 and let down and still waiting, and I'm the only guy on my dealers list and one of their cash cows.

btw, I'm not so sure as whether it's hot selling or just limited supply because I'm sure that sony hardly expect this camera to be a blow out seller TBH.

dandrewk

More anecdotal experiences with battery life: Today I went out and shot 149 images. I started with a fresh battery - 4 bars. Three hours later I ended up with 3 bars.

The key (for me) is to turn the camera off between shots (when possible and feasible). The camera turns on so quickly, I won't miss many (or any) shots.

monza

Is there interest in a battery grip? Or a grip that has a storage compartment for a spare battery perhaps?

Brian Mosley

More anecdotal experiences with battery life: Today I went out and shot 149 images. I started with a fresh battery - 4 bars. Three hours later I ended up with 3 bars.

The key (for me) is to turn the camera off between shots (when possible and feasible). The camera turns on so quickly, I won't miss many (or any) shots.
Perfect example - the official (CIPA) battery life for the RX1RII is 220 shots. According to your own shooting experience, you'll get >420 shots over a 12 hour shooting day on one (tiny) battery.

And yet we read reports of the RX1RII "chewing through batteries" from other users.

One simply has to consider many anecdotal reports, and tune into the reliable sources when one can find them.

Kind regards

Brian

dandrewk

The act of actually snapping the shutter doesn't require much power. It's all the stuff leading up to the shot that drains the battery. Just turning off the camera as much as you can will o a long way towards eliminating battery issues.

Sometimes it's not easy though. Pure street shooting often necessitates leaving the camera on for long periods. I'm guessing I wouldn't get anywhere near 400 shots... or even 200. But that's still more than plenty, and batteries are cheap.

Brian Mosley

The act of actually snapping the shutter doesn't require much power. It's all the stuff leading up to the shot that drains the battery. Just turning off the camera as much as you can will o a long way towards eliminating battery issues.

Sometimes it's not easy though. Pure street shooting often necessitates leaving the camera on for long periods. I'm guessing I wouldn't get anywhere near 400 shots... or even 200. But that's still more than plenty, and batteries are cheap.
That's really what bugs me, to be honest - it should be possible to put the camera into 'low power sleep mode' whenever the camera is between shots, without you having to switch it off and on again.

Sony really need to invest more effort in software design - from user interface to functionality.

Maybe we'll see strides being made if Samsung team up with Nikon?

Cheers

Brian

Pradeep

Mine is coming in today (hopefully).

Some questions.

1. Does the existing camera plate for the Rx1R fit the newer model?

2. Anybody know if the wired remote RM-VPR1 (or its cheap clone) works with this camera?

3. Is it really necessary to get the lens hood for general purpose shots in sunlight? And if so, is it big and cumbersome?

Thanks

Jeff Kott

Maybe somebody said it already, but turning on airplane mode (i.e., turning off WiFi) and having LCD set to standard are both settings that significantly improve battery life.

Brian Mosley

from where?

- - - Updated - - -

This is always the key...and I find that most cameras wake up faster from being turned on than from waking up.
Waking up from low power sleep mode should take milliseconds - no idea why this isn't the case in practice, other than underdeveloped software :banghead:

Switching off wifi and turning down the lcd brightness, plus using MF to reduce focus racking are all steps we take to reduce power usage - again, these and other reductions could be automated.

This is really important, but shouldn't detract from the genius of such an outstanding camera. I guess it's like the window which has been cleaned to perfection... You notice the single spot of crap all the more clearly :lecture:

Cheers

Brian

Jeff Kott

Switching off wifi and turning down the lcd brightness.....
Just so everyone is clear, I was suggesting setting "Display Quality" to "Standard" rather than "High." This is the default setting and different than turning down the LCD brightness. When I first got my A7R, I changed to "High" thinking "High" is better than Standard. But, whatever gains there are from going to High are offset by the battery hit IMO.

Try it, I think you'll see battery life improve and I don't think you'll see any material degradation of the LCD image.

Brian Mosley

Yes, thanks for the tip Jeff... I have my display quality set to 'Standard' and can't tell the difference.

Cheers

Brian

dandrewk

Mine is coming in today (hopefully).

Some questions.

2. Anybody know if the wired remote RM-VPR1 (or its cheap clone) works with this camera?
Yes, the Sony remote works flawlessly.

3. Is it really necessary to get the lens hood for general purpose shots in sunlight? And if so, is it big and cumbersome?

Thanks
The way the element is situated, it would be a rare instance where the hood makes a difference for sun glare. However, it does provide good protection for that expensive lens! It's quite small and light as you can see from web photos. It's not the cheapy/plastic hoods you normally see, instead using lightweight aluminum. It's also very pricey - Sony list is $179, although B&H has it marked down to $79. The Fotodiox version I have is $69 and works/looks great.

I think it looks cool on the camera, adding to its somewhat retro look. I keep it on permanently and don't use the lens cap.

dandrewk

Yes, thanks for the tip Jeff... I have my display quality set to 'Standard' and can't tell the difference.

Cheers

Brian
I can see the difference. Comparing the two, "standard" is a bit darker and shows more aliasing (jagged lines). It's still more than acceptable, so it depends on how important a crystal clear EVF is to you.

"3. Is it really necessary to get the lens hood for general purpose shots in sunlight? And if so, is it big and cumbersome?"

"....It's also very pricey - Sony list is $179, although B&H has it marked down to $79. The Fotodiox version I have is $69 and works/looks great."

I can't understand the need for a vented lens hood on a mirrorless camera – those are designed for looking through viewfinders that would be blocked by a regular hood, aren't they?

You can get a serviceable 49mm WA lens hood from Heavystar or a number of sources on theBay for under $10.

Kirk