The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

tashley

Subscriber Member
So, mine has still not arrived and I speak in the hypothetical sense, plus in the 'Should I maybe buy a Q instead" sense.

Back in my reviewing days I wrote a 3 part review of the RX1. When it came to the lens, I was pretty much as smitten as everyone, with one exception, which was that it had an odd mid field weakness which I put down to complex field curvature. Now Lloyd Chambers is finding odd and inconsistent results with his RX1R II, yet to be bottomed out in terms of what is causing it but speculating that the lens may not be as impressive on the higher mp sensor.

Now this will be fine for most subject matters other than those requiring flat field works, such as landscapes etc - and its not as if the lens on the Q is perfect either, but I wonder if anyone here who has the camera has run any simple flat field tests to see what's going on?

Pradeep

So, mine has still not arrived and I speak in the hypothetical sense, plus in the 'Should I maybe buy a Q instead" sense.

Back in my reviewing days I wrote a 3 part review of the RX1. When it came to the lens, I was pretty much as smitten as everyone, with one exception, which was that it had an odd mid field weakness which I put down to complex field curvature. Now Lloyd Chambers is finding odd and inconsistent results with his RX1R II, yet to be bottomed out in terms of what is causing it but speculating that the lens may not be as impressive on the higher mp sensor.

Now this will be fine for most subject matters other than those requiring flat field works, such as landscapes etc - and its not as if the lens on the Q is perfect either, but I wonder if anyone here who has the camera has run any simple flat field tests to see what's going on?
You mean a landscape at infinity? That would be a bummer but even then, this camera will mainly be a travel, people and street/candid camera for most of us. What I am seeing is great results wide open when photographing people at an event. The 35mm seems to me the perfect focal length for this.

I don't know that the higher resolution of this sensor should demand greater performance from the lens if the size does not change.

For dedicated landscape work, I would probably be using the A7R2 anyway, along with all the WA choices it offers.

tashley

Subscriber Member
@ Pradeep, that is what I mean - it was one of my main use-cases for the RX1. But I'm afraid higher resolution sensors need higher resolution lenses, even when the sensor size is constant.

Pradeep

@ Pradeep, that is what I mean - it was one of my main use-cases for the RX1. But I'm afraid higher resolution sensors need higher resolution lenses, even when the sensor size is constant.
Yes, that sounds logical in a way although again, the difference would probably be obvious only at 100% or when printed large. Nobody views images on the web at 100% and very few people print larger than 13X19 (at home at least).

That brings us back to the old question of 'at what print size does the difference between MF and a point and shoot become obvious?"

Still, there is a point in what you say and I think it becomes most relevant when you have to crop into a frame, for you could end up losing half the resolution or more that way.

Jeff Kott

Now Lloyd Chambers is finding odd and inconsistent results with his RX1R II, yet to be bottomed out in terms of what is causing it but speculating that the lens may not be as impressive on the higher mp sensor.
I find this comment by Lloyd to be a little strange based on my limited experience. I took a couple shots of a building from quite a distance on Friday pretty quickly and when I got home realized that I had forgotten to stop down from F 2.0. Now this was not a flat field scene, so no comment on that, but at 100% magnification all the details in the scene were quite crisp. For example, at 100% view I could clearly read all the details on a "No Parking" sign from more than 1/2 a block away. So, even at F2 I don't see the lens struggling with the sensor. I respect Lloyd and he's a very nice guy, but he seems to have problems with things that nobody else does.

dandrewk

Why does anyone care anymore about what Lloyd says, especially if it has anything to do with Sony (and Leica, from what I hear)? If it wasn't some nebulous, anecdotal, unconfirmed "issue" with mid field sharpness, he'd find something else. He'd spot a spec of dust on the LCD screen, flick it off, and then write several paragraphs about how "unacceptable this is for a high priced camera".

I have real difficulty believing how this lens could be outstripped by ANY sensor. That sounds like an imagined problem is search of reality, with nothing but 100% speculation as the only result.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm being good here. Looking for a big fish in a small bowl. Or better said all the more reason for me to buy one.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Why does anyone care anymore about what Lloyd says, especially if it has anything to do with Sony (and Leica, from what I hear)? If it wasn't some nebulous, anecdotal, unconfirmed "issue" with mid field sharpness, he'd find something else. He'd spot a spec of dust on the LCD screen, flick it off, and then write several paragraphs about how "unacceptable this is for a high priced camera".

I have real difficulty believing how this lens could be outstripped by ANY sensor. That sounds like an imagined problem is search of reality, with nothing but 100% speculation as the only result.
I'm not batting for Lloyd here but in my tests on the original rx1 the mid-field weakness was there, and from memory on both sides i.e. symmetrical.

DougDolde

I can't see owning such a tiny camera seems absurdly small. If I wanted a small camera it would be a Nikon D810 or its likely soon to come successor

Last edited:

Jeff Kott

I'm not batting for Lloyd here but in my tests on the original rx1 the mid-field weakness was there, and from memory on both sides i.e. symmetrical.
Tim, now I'm curious. I guess I'm not a sophisticated enough lens tester to find the mid-field weakness. I've taken some well focused images with lots of detail and am checking all around the images at 100% looking for the weakness and can't seem to find it. Would it only manifest in certain types of shots?

eleanorbrown

I know I know.... this kind of stuff probably won't be popular as it's got digital manipulation with the addition of the water (breaking the rules ;-) with my RX1r2. Fort Travis, Texas....(now barred off so had to put the tiny lens through the bars to shoot). iso 100...great shadow detail in darkest part of image. wonderful color in the file processed in C1 v.9. I have an abstract artistic series called "Portals and Hidden Dimensions" which this will be part of....this little pocket camera is far more that a "point and snap" camera...can do interesting stuff!..... Eleanor

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Pradeep

I think it was mentioned here somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Does anybody know where I can access the RX1R2 manual online in pdf format? I hate to carry the paper manual with me.

Thanks.

JeRuFo

V

Vivek

Cheers, Robert!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, The Hague

(This is as close to Austin that I could find here. :) )

The RX1R II is the best camera that I have owned/used thusfar.

Those who were lucky enough to get one, enjoy! :)

Others, sorry you missed out early but more will show up soon.