The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

ohnri

Cheers, Robert!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, The Hague

(This is as close to Austin that I could find here. :) )

The RX1R II is the best camera that I have owned/used thusfar.

Those who were lucky enough to get one, enjoy! :)

Others, sorry you missed out early but more will show up soon.
Funny how many photographers are finding one of the new Sony cameras to be the best they have used.

My A7r2 replaced my Nikons as my best ever.

I also love my RX1 and will consider the RX1r2 next year, depending on what other tempting gear is available.

-Bill

I've been wondering why my dealer hasn't come up with an R2 for me, and I'd concluded they're only on Sony's B or C priority list. But yesterday I saw a SonyAlphaRumor that shipment has stopped while Sony fixes a bug. If that's true, then I guess some/many of us will have to wait a while.

But I don't really mind – my M-E isn't quite old enough to retire. (Digital retirement age seems to be about 3.5 years?) :facesmack:

Kirk

V

Vivek

But I don't really mind – my M-E isn't quite old enough to retire. (Digital retirement age seems to be about 3.5 years?) :facesmack:

Kirk
Don't be so sure. Isn't this one of the Leica machines with a self destruct sensor cover plates? Dump it now before it is too late. :lecture:

(that is besides the fact thatL is a good 50-60 years behind Sony in camera tech).

mandonbossi

Hi,
I recently posted the following in the Sony forum with regards to possible future crop modes on Sony A7 series cameras...

" I recently contacted Sony Artisan Brian Smith with regards to this issue, thinking he may have some influence in influencing Sony firmware...

He got back to me which was very cool of him and I will post his responses below..

" More crop options have been a request of mine for quite some time. RX1R II is the first Sony camera to add 1:1 and 4:3 crops. I know that's not exactly what you want but It's a great compromise between 4:5 and 5:7.

I hope that will be added to future cameras."

and another later response when I asked about having the viewfinder crop to a format but leaving the whole sensor capture area to then later crop in post...

" Yup. That's how Sony crop ratios work in Raw. While Jpegs crop pixels, Raw is the full image that simply shows up with a crop applied (in Adobe & Phase One software too), but no pixels are lost. "

So can anyone confirm that the RX1R2 has a 4:3 crop mode and that it does somehow mask it off in the viewfinder but leaves the whole sensor capture area to then work with in post?

Thanks so much in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add if you guys thought there would be a chance of a Sony A7RII firmware upgrade to include this?

Please, Please, Please....... "

Can any owner of the new Sony RX1 mk2 confirm that it does have a 4:3 mode and that when capturing it does actually save all the information (the 3:2 sensor data) and enables you to crop later in post?

jim251

Can any owner of the new Sony RX1 mk2 confirm that it does have a 4:3 mode and that when capturing it does actually save all the information (the 3:2 sensor data) and enables you to crop later in post?

It does... See my post #721 in this thread.

mandonbossi

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the reply back, much appreciated!

Now I just need Sony to offer it on my newly purchased A7RII....

:D

PCinAZ

Actually I think they're right about using the same little battery across all their models. Many have more than one Sony camera and with one interchangeable battery it makes life much easier. Also bear in mind that bigger battery means inevitably bigger and heavier camera. Unless you're a machine gunner, 300 shots before stopping to change a battery; what, 30 seconds? Can't be such a bind.
With 35mm film it was every 36 shots, medium format, even more frequently. I do think popping a couple of small batteries in a pocket is well worth the difference.
It's a common meme to complain of battery life. The beauty of this camera is the size and having an extra battery in your pocket vs a larger camera should be an easy decision. Don't people have to charge their cell phones every day?

V

Vivek

Don't people have to charge their cell phones every day?
No. Mine (a Samsung) does not need to be charged for a few weeks and is tiny.

The battery life on this cam is pathetic and no one can deny it.

JMaher

No question about the Sony - I always carry 2 batteries with the RX1 and think about maybe carrying more.

However I need to get one of your phone batteries. I have a Samsung phone as well and it doesn't always make it through one day. It would never make it through two days.

Jim

Tim

No question about the Sony - I always carry 2 batteries with the RX1 and think about maybe carrying more.

However I need to get one of your phone batteries. I have a Samsung phone as well and it doesn't always make it through one day. It would never make it through two days.

Jim
I was able make mine last about 5 days, if I turn off wifi, GPS, BT, 4G/3G data and switch it back to 2G and I don't use its camera or music player and just answer texts and calls. Also turning off the display as soon as possible after use.
If its just used as a phone it will last, its all this other computing that eats the power.

I've changed to a Mi phone and their power management is one of the best.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Mine has been on order for so long, and now there's the manufacturing delay. I've banged in a best offer on eBay for a used Leica Q and if I get it, I'll go with that instead. I had a play with one in a shop a couple weeks ago and it was so nice that I've been torn ever since and it may well be that I have enough 36mp cameras already!

I've also been a bit put off by some of the things Lloyd has been saying. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I like his work, he's thorough, and he has identified some issues.

alba63

It's a common meme to complain of battery life. The beauty of this camera is the size and having an extra battery in your pocket vs a larger camera should be an easy decision. Don't people have to charge their cell phones every day?
I tend to see it the same way. One could see that battery life as a call for quality over quantity.

Only a few years ago it would have sounded completely lunatic to get a camera this tiny that can go into MF territory with it's excellent lens and sensor performance. Sony decided to keep the size that small and leave it slightly underpowered for today's standard where hundreds of images in one day seems the rule rather than 2-3 rolls of film max (2 or 3x36 shots) . If one shoots carefully (which for me means to carefully compose and select the right moment) and carries that extra battery it should be a non- issue.

V

Vivek

His reviews. They're thorough and once you know which bees are buzzing in his bonnet (all reviewers have them) and can decode them accordingly, you learn thorough and insightful things.
I will give you a tip:

Check here (appropriate section): https://community.sony.com/

to read about the issues with various Sony gear.

Real users based on actual experience reporting and it is for free. :)

For example, have you heard of the "Star Eater" issue with the A7s?

algrove

Mine has been on order for so long, and now there's the manufacturing delay. I've banged in a best offer on eBay for a used Leica Q and if I get it, I'll go with that instead. I had a play with one in a shop a couple weeks ago and it was so nice that I've been torn ever since and it may well be that I have enough 36mp cameras already!

I've also been a bit put off by some of the things Lloyd has been saying. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I like his work, he's thorough, and he has identified some issues.
If you get that Q, you won't regret it.

JSRockit

Mine has been on order for so long, and now there's the manufacturing delay. I've banged in a best offer on eBay for a used Leica Q and if I get it, I'll go with that instead.
It's really sad when Leica can deliver and Sony can't... I'm starting to think your move may be the best one to make. Sony not speaking about the issue isn't helping people feel good about the delay.