The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R2 - Firmware update available (14-bit uncompressed RAW)

Knorp

I'm opting for lossless compressed ... 😜
But no it's not there ...

This page provides instructions on how to update the firmware for camera ILCE-7RM2 to version 2.00.

Benefits of Update:

Uncompressed RAW format is available (*).
HDMI output is possible when using Remote Camera Control. (Only Still Mode)
*Applications of PlayMemories Camera Apps do not support uncompressed RAW as of October, 2015.

tn1krr

Has anyone updated yet?
What are the options ?
Is lossy compressed still available?
TIA.
Just updated, took pretty long time. Lossy compression is still available, there is menu option to to select "RAW File Type" with options "Uncompressed" and "Compressed".

k-hawinkler

Just updated, took pretty long time. Lossy compression is still available, there is menu option to to select "RAW File Type" with options "Uncompressed" and "Compressed".
Many thanks! Excellent!
In which menu panel is the selection? TIA.

PS: It's on the first panel. Comes up with set to Compressed. √

I updated to 2.00 with the last beta version of El Capitan. Went very smoothly, takes 15 minutes as the instructions state. Thanks Sony!

Last edited:

dandrewk

Now for the exhaustive "here is the image with compressed RAW, and here is the same shot but with uncompressed RAW". Now, let's deliberately overexpose by four or five stops and see which version holds highlight detail better.

IOW... I'll gladly do the update, just to have the option. But I doubt there will be many circumstances that I will opt for uncompressed RAW.

Even in an age where we can buy 3 TB ultra fast external drives for less than $100, I'd rather not have to process/copy/backup arbitrarily large files unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

k-hawinkler

I copied Uncompressed files to my Mac and opened them with Iridient just fine.
C1 8.3.3 doesn't seem to be ready yet.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Quick, dirty, unscientific test on kitchen top bottle labels indicates to me that it looks a bit cleaner, as if it has slightly finer resolution and slightly more 'real' looking edges, with the uncompressed. I will probably have a closer and more scientific look later. I like.

V

Vivek

Any word on updates for A7, A7R, A7s (as well the NEX')? All these are still current cameras and being sold spanking new.

Updated successfully on my El Capitan system. Turned compression OFF.

Uncompressed files open properly in Lightroom (2015.1.1). All good.

I can now proceed to not think about it any more.

ShooterSteve

I certainly want to update but have to make sure it doesn't break anything. One person has mentioned C1 not working with it? Good that Lightroom works, but so far the output from LR seems to be inferior to what C1 produces from the Sony. I can't consider upgrading if C1 isn't ready...

Sonycamerarumors:

Those are the new features:

- Adds the selectable feature for uncompressed 14-Bit RAW image capture.

- Adds support to output video via HDMI during use of the Remote Camera Control software (still mode only).

UPDATE: There seems to be an issue with the firmware update. If you have APS-C mode on “Auto” than once you install the firmware update you can only shoot pictures at a max resolution of 18 megapixel. You can still change the settings after the firmware update so don’t worry. But just in case you can’t take any 42MP pictures any more know it that the firmware seems to activate it as default! (Thanks Mirrorlessons for the tip).

Sonycamerarumors:

UPDATE: There seems to be an issue with the firmware update. If you have APS-C mode on “Auto” than once you install the firmware update you can only shoot pictures at a max resolution of 18 megapixel. You can still change the settings after the firmware update so don’t worry. But just in case you can’t take any 42MP pictures any more know it that the firmware seems to activate it as default! (Thanks Mirrorlessons for the tip).
I have not seen anything like that, APS-C is on Auto but the resolution is 42 Mp as before the upgrade.