The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it crazy to buy a Rx-1 now (version 1)?

JMaher

The Rx1 II is all the talk today but the Rx-1 still seems like an excellent camera. As said above would this be a crazy purchase at this time?

I don't need one. I have a great A7RII (that I really like) and a backup A6000 but at current prices the RX1 seems to be ab attractive proposition for a second camera. The new one would be nice but too many $$ for what I would use it for.

Mine you, I haven't made up my mind and I have never even held one. But...

Jim

dandrewk

Me too, to all of the above. The used prices are around what a new FE35 1.4 sells for new. The major difference being... the FE35 1.4 doesn't come with a great camera attached.

jim251

I would say that if you're thinking about a toe in the water on an RX1/R then now (or soon) may be a good time to try one out as I'm sure there will be plenty available. Prices for them are probably stable so even if you decide it's not for you the damage will not be to great. Personally I would not consider buying a new one, only used (clean/perfect.)

I will say that if you already have an A7R2 then the niggles of slow-ish AF and the screen/evf operational issues will be further magnified, if only by comparison...

Why not rent one for a few days? In the last few years I've almost always rented before a major photo purchase to be sure I was making the right decision.

Good luck deciding.

dandrewk

I've got a feeling the prices will edge down slightly once the Rx1r2 is officially released, especially if the reviews are glowing.

V

Vivek

Brand new prices from Asia have plummeted.

Although the RX1 (v1) is not in my consideration, this price plummet has me thinking about when to purchase the RX1R II.

JMaher

For reasons beyond reason I seem to have an aversion to renting for the person of used equipment although I have done it once or twice.

I think prices many yet drop a little on used. However I have already seen them for $1200-$1500 listed. New will certainly go down but I think an excellent condition used one would be the best choice if I get crazy.

I have heard the AF wasn't the best but how slow? I had not heard of screen/evf issues. What are they?

I don't really need speed but I don't want it be like the proverbial EOS-M (1st edition - original software) I once tried and the first picture I took was of the person following the person I focused on :)

Jim

olegkin

I did not find focus speed to be an issue but more than once my rented rx1r could not focus at all in very simple conditions with enough light and contrast. Several times I had to turn it off and on to make it work again. Usually I get next to 100% in focus pictures. Rx1r number was less; I did not count, but I feel it was about 90-95%.

V

Vivek

Jim, Leaving the price aside (a big factor I know, still..), would you not have the chance to use your Nissin (and other) flashes on the camera while having the possibility to use the EVF?

JMaher

You are correct that using the EVF makes using a flash an impossibility. That would be a problem for me.

Perhaps I should take out my A6000 more and play with it but somehow it hasn't held the same fascination for me. Logic versus emotion.

Jim

jim251

Re the EVF - first of all it's a separate piece giving you 2 pieces of kit to manage, not to mention the small (nice) case for it that you'll likely want to use. The EVF also does not lock onto the shoe mount - it just slides in and leaves you missing the reassurance. Thirdly there is no way to adjust the tension on the 90-degree vertical "flipability." If you use it at any position other that straight ahead you can move it just with the pressure against your eye. It's just "fiddly." But all that said, you'll definitely want to use it when conditions are bright and it does work.

OK, the screen. The screen is fine for image review etc. but if you want to shoot with it there is only one position, your favorite distance in front of your face. Vertical positioning is limited if you still want to see even the focus box. Try shooting your A6000 or A7R2 with the screen and keeping the screen in stored position. It might not limit you but it did me.

In the end it's just a camera you have to be a bit more deliberate about. For run & gun it would trail your other 2 cameras, believe me.

But then at night when you load the days images and see them on the big screen, well, it's just soo easy to sit there and stare...

Hope this helps.

V

Vivek

To add to that, the RX1 feels VERY differently than the NEX-6/6000. I was pleasantly surprised when I first got to fondle a RX1.

JMaher

Ok - just took out my A6000. I have it for a backup - just in case. It's a great size - it works well. I don't really like it :) It's not that its not a great camera it just doesn't bond with me. On the other hand I love my A7RII.

I guess I need to find an RX-1 to see and feel. Any of you on the west coast of Florida with one? I am pretty sure the answer is no but...

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For some this maybe a great idea. If I went this direction more my purpose would be replacing my 35 1.4 so I would want the exact sensor as the version 2. I want no difference from the A7rii. But I still see a lot of value here on the RX1 as we will see a lot for sale.

Tim

Jim,
I think its a fab idea and one I am looking into and considering.
I'd like to see a price drop but as the RX1rII is some much more technology I suspect Sony see the old model as priced ok.
I am liquidating some unused items to perhaps afford either one.

Lucille

For reasons beyond reason I seem to have an aversion to renting for the person of used equipment although I have done it once or twice.

I think prices many yet drop a little on used. However I have already seen them for $1200-$1500 listed. New will certainly go down but I think an excellent condition used one would be the best choice if I get crazy.

I have heard the AF wasn't the best but how slow? I had not heard of screen/evf issues. What are they?

I don't really need speed but I don't want it be like the proverbial EOS-M (1st edition - original software) I once tried and the first picture I took was of the person following the person I focused on :)

Jim

the Rx1 is excellent. I often read it has slow focus or misses, I honestly don't have this issue. I DO NOT find focus slow and I do find it very accurate, and I mainly do lowlight shooting.

I have a A7S, A7, A7R MII, A65, Olympus EM5, and I can honestly tell you that even after using those bodies I have never found myself saying that the Rx1 is slow. Want slow? Use my EPL1.

I only use the Rx1 on AF-S, and I turn off the focus assist light thingie, I never use that. Now in auto focus continuous it could have issues, again I only use auto focus single, and single center point, it works very decent for me. I have shot with it in all conditions.

the Rx1 is my goto body for lowlight concert shots, I find it quick enough and very accurate.

jim251

^^^ Lucille, very nice work...

If you don't mind, do you use the EVF and why/why not? Also do you shoot it in silent mode, adding the requirement to visually confirm focus?

tnx...

Frits

I have had the RX1r since almost a couple of years now. I use it as a lightweight walkabout backup to my Nikon DSLR system.
My take on this: If I were to lose it, I would not hesitate a second to get another one again. It shot awesome images - easily at par with my DSLR - when I got it 2 years ago and guess what.....it still does!
Not the slightest NEED to spend a bunch of $$$ for the "latest" model or for 42 MP for that matter.

4season

Emotional bonding: Now there's something to avoid with cameras unless you've got a lot of excess cash to pursue what will ultimately be a fickle whim! Better (and cheaper) to bond with the photos, I think.

Had the opportunity to buy an RX1 with faulty autofocus for $600 earlier this year, suspected I could fix it readily enough but in the end passed on it. Why? I figured it wasn't going to deliver anything that I wasn't already getting from my A7 + 35/2.8. Smaller yes, but not small enough to carry around differently.

Lucille

^^^ Lucille, very nice work...

If you don't mind, do you use the EVF and why/why not? Also do you shoot it in silent mode, adding the requirement to visually confirm focus?

tnx...

I don't own the EVF so I have never used one, nor do I use the silent mode, the camera is pretty quiet as it is.