The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony updates the remote app for tablets and mobiles

kimbrunstudio

When you are shooting via a mobile device, how do you get the Live View to show Portrait shots. The Live View shows every shot as a Landscape. Rotating the mobile device triggers the Auto-Rotate function on the device and thus you can not compose a vertical shot. I have turned off the cameras Auto-Rotate and it had no effect. Is there a way to disable the mobile devices Auto-Rotate. Using a Samsung S4 and Nexus 7 Android.

DigitalSteve

When you are shooting via a mobile device, how do you get the Live View to show Portrait shots. The Live View shows every shot as a Landscape. Rotating the mobile device triggers the Auto-Rotate function on the device and thus you can not compose a vertical shot. I have turned off the cameras Auto-Rotate and it had no effect. Is there a way to disable the mobile devices Auto-Rotate. Using a Samsung S4 and Nexus 7 Android.

I am pretty sure I saw a way to disable the auto rotate on my Samsung Note 3 and 4. Probably under settings, then display.

scho

Thanks Carl! I've been using your technique in the studio for a few months now and it works great. I just sent a request to Sony, via Pro support to the user to select enable multiple points on the image and then have the camera shoot and focus of those points automatically. I also contacted helicon remote and asked them why they are supporting the Sony camera, they replied that Sony doesn't support manual focus for them to use with their like Nikon and Canon does. I also requested this to be added by Sony so that helicon remote could be used to do focus stacking. Pro support is a really good portal for making suggestions to Sony.
Thanks Dennis, I hope that Sony incorporates your suggestions. The multiple focus point automation would be really nice. Here is an impromptu kitchen still life using the remote app and iPad to do an 8 shot focus stack using the A7RII and FE 24-70. I forgot to reset ISO from auto so ended up at 6400.

chkproductions

Is there a way to use this app to a tablet to just view the scene and not take control of the camera? I would like to use it for framing but then taek a series bracketed shots through the camera. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

chk

scho

Is there a way to use this app to a tablet to just view the scene and not take control of the camera? I would like to use it for framing but then taek a series bracketed shots through the camera. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

chk
My version of the remote app does not have any bracket shooting modes available. You would have to startup the remote app, do your framing and composition on the iPad, exit the app, and then do your bracketed shooting using the camera settings. Another good suggestion for Sony to include bracket mode settings in the remote app.

My version of the remote app does not have any bracket shooting modes available. You would have to startup the remote app, do your framing and composition on the iPad, exit the app, and then do your bracketed shooting using the camera settings. Another good suggestion for Sony to include bracket mode settings in the remote app.
+1

chkproductions

Thanks. That's exactly what I figured you'd have to do. So for my purposes, I would like to see a View Only on Device option for this app. Then I could use all the controls the camera has to offer without being limited by the app.

Cheers

chk

Annna T

Seems the website to install camera apps isn't compatible with El Capitan for those on Macs.
If you have a wifi connection somewhere (home network or similar), you can set up a direct link between the camera and the Sony apps website. You probably have to get a user id separately before connecting. Other solution would be to find someone around you having a compatible computer. (I didn't test that because I could use my PC)

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
If you have a wifi connection somewhere (home network or similar), you can set up a direct link between the camera and the Sony apps website. You probably have to get a user id separately before connecting. Other solution would be to find someone around you having a compatible computer. (I didn't test that because I could use my PC)
For me the simplest solution was booting up with Yosemite using a backup volume. I tend to keep one of those for quite a while after a new OS is released. After I installed the app I discovered the camera could connect directly to the network to install the apps. I had trouble scrolling the screen on the camera to see the various apps though. Not sure what was going on.

Speaking of apps, I noticed one called Bracket Pro. Anyone tried that?

Annna T

For me the simplest solution was booting up with Yosemite using a backup volume. I tend to keep one of those for quite a while after a new OS is released. After I installed the app I discovered the camera could connect directly to the network to install the apps. I had trouble scrolling the screen on the camera to see the various apps though. Not sure what was going on.

Personnally I didn't : I thought the drive bracket mode on the camera was enough. However, thinking to it : may be this would allow you to use both the remote app for live view and operate the camera from the remote. There is at least one case I know where two apps are working together : the time lapse app and another one allowing you to zoom and move the frame around while shooting the timelapse.

kimbrunstudio

I am pretty sure I saw a way to disable the auto rotate on my Samsung Note 3 and 4. Probably under settings, then display.
Disabling the phone/tablet Auto-Rotate does provide a work around. At least I can compose a vertical shot by rotating the phone/tablet to horizontal without having the image rotate. The Live View is smaller than the a horizontal shot but it works.

Thanks!

dandrewk

I don't think it's nearly as complete as the integrated bracketing. However, it does have some focus bracketing. Only three images though.

What's I'd love - a focus bracketing app that allows total user control. You set your near and far points and the number of images in between. Think of the time saved for those 30 shot macro focus stacks!

Annna T

I don't think it's nearly as complete as the integrated bracketing. However, it does have some focus bracketing. Only three images though.

What's I'd love - a focus bracketing app that allows total user control. You set your near and far points and the number of images in between. Think of the time saved for those 30 shot macro focus stacks!
For that you need an Olympus OMD-EM1 or EM5II.. There is a thread about this new firmware update in the MFT forum.
and here the Olympus announcement : http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp