The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Sony For Weddings

rollsman44

I was thinking of getting a Sony Mirrorless and a Very good Zoom for it. Any suggestions. I shoot mainly weddings and Portraits. Than you

dmward

I shoot weddings with Sony A7RII and A7II.
16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 zooms.

I used Cheetah V850 and 180/300 manual strobes, now I use Nissin Di700a/Air in TTL.

I couple of years ago I used Canon 5DIIIs and 600EX-RTs. Then I went with Fuji XT-1s and their zooms. They are a great camera kit for weddings. Only thing missing is TTL speedlites which, while I like to use it isn't a big deal.

Only reason to for my move to Sony is needing them for commercial work and not wanting to have two camera kits. The Sony files, I always shoot raw, at really too big. I use a Lightroom plug-in that reduces them on export while applying some noise reduction. That makes it a no-brainer to shot with auto ISO.

ohnri

I shoot weddings with Sony A7RII and A7II.
16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 zooms.

I used Cheetah V850 and 180/300 manual strobes, now I use Nissin Di700a/Air in TTL.

I couple of years ago I used Canon 5DIIIs and 600EX-RTs. Then I went with Fuji XT-1s and their zooms. They are a great camera kit for weddings. Only thing missing is TTL speedlites which, while I like to use it isn't a big deal.

Only reason to for my move to Sony is needing them for commercial work and not wanting to have two camera kits. The Sony files, I always shoot raw, at really too big. I use a Lightroom plug-in that reduces them on export while applying some noise reduction. That makes it a no-brainer to shot with auto ISO.
Which plug in is that?

Thanks,

Bill

dmward

Which plug in is that?

Thanks,

Bill
Athentech Perfectly Clear

Lightroom probably does as good a job with noise reduction but this does it in batch mode on export and claims to apply it optimally on an image by image basis.

rollsman44

Hi David, thank you for getting back to me. I have been shooting weddings since 1972 and still shoot them but not as many. In your opinion, how are the CZ zoom lens vs the the Batis Primes? I was thinking of getting the 85/1.8 Batis and the Batis 55/1.8 and put one on each Sony A7ii Thank you, Dennis
I am in the process of selling my Hasselblad H4D-40 to fund this Sony system. Don't really need the Hassy anymore.

Annna T

Hi David, thank you for getting back to me. I have been shooting weddings since 1972 and still shoot them but not as many. In your opinion, how are the CZ zoom lens vs the the Batis Primes? I was thinking of getting the 85/1.8 Batis and the Batis 55/1.8 and put one on each Sony A7ii Thank you, Dennis
I am in the process of selling my Hasselblad H4D-40 to fund this Sony system. Don't really need the Hassy anymore.
The 55mm F1.8 isn't a Batis; it is a Sony-Zeiss lens (whatever that means). I love the 55mm F1.8 even if some think it is too clinical, analytical and sterile. But that lens is not part of the Batis line (since those Batis are terribly difficult to get at, I had never the chance of comparing those lenses with the 55mm, so can't tell whether their rendering is similar or not. But physically they are quite different.

I shoot weddings with an A7II and an adapted 50mm 1.4 Zeiss for Nikon. I also use a D750 and a few AF primes. I would recommend the A7II body because I think the S series is too expensive generally and the low light performance is over-hyped (reduce a A7II file to 12mp and you'll get a similar result). The R series too for obvious reasons, you'll never use that resolution at a wedding. However if you're going for a zoom I'm not sure it's totally going to be worth your time. Nikon and Canon make excellent zooms and the AF cannot be beat. By adding a zoom you're mitigating the size advantage and introducing mediocre AF and a slower f stop. I keep my D750 for a reason, it does some things far better than the Sony. But I have the Sony too and use it too it's strengths. You need two bodies anyways so why not have one be a DSLR and the other mirrorless. It has worked for me anyways.

dmward

I have the two Batis lenses but haven't used them for weddings. I also had similar primes for Canon and didn't use them either.

I guess it comes down to wanting a lens that offers quick response during the wedding day.

I have the 24-70 on the A7RII and the 70-200 on the A7II. I disagree about needing the extra stop of light gathering. It might help with focus during the dancing but its not critical. For other parts of the day I rarely have to toss an image because its OOF. That's one nice thing about the EVF. One gets a confirmation look after every shot.

I know a wedding could be covered with the two Batis Primes. It would required a different technique than I use now. I often am setting the zoom to a specific focal length before the shot so its more like changing lenses without having to take the time to go into the bag.

The key, in my view, is the high ISO performance and the resulting quality of images when down sized to JPGs for clients.

rollsman44

Hi Speedgraphic, you make a lot of sense. I now have the Nikon D600 and very pleased with. IQ is Excellent. I have the Nikon 50mm 1.8 ( or is 55mm) on it and great results. So, I will just get a Sont A7ii and the Batis 85/1.8 for it.
Let me know how that sounds Truly appreciate it . Thanks Dennis

rollsman44

I have the two Batis lenses but haven't used them for weddings. I also had similar primes for Canon and didn't use them either.

I guess it comes down to wanting a lens that offers quick response during the wedding day.

I have the 24-70 on the A7RII and the 70-200 on the A7II. I disagree about needing the extra stop of light gathering. It might help with focus during the dancing but its not critical. For other parts of the day I rarely have to toss an image because its OOF. That's one nice thing about the EVF. One gets a confirmation look after every shot.

I know a wedding could be covered with the two Batis Primes. It would required a different technique than I use now. I often am setting the zoom to a specific focal length before the shot so its more like changing lenses without having to take the time to go into the bag.

The key, in my view, is the high ISO performance and the resulting quality of images when down sized to JPGs for clients.
Hi David, I was thinking of getting the Sony A7ii and a Zeiss zoom-24-70/2.8 and keep my Nikon D600 with the 50/1,8
The D600 has excellent IQ and skin tones as well. Any suggestions from here ? Thanks

dmward

Hi David, I was thinking of getting the Sony A7ii and a Zeiss zoom-24-70/2.8 and keep my Nikon D600 with the 50/1,8
The D600 has excellent IQ and skin tones as well. Any suggestions from here ? Thanks
I don't know anything about the A mount Sony lenses and focus performance on the A7II. I do have a Tamron A mount zoom (150-600) with the A3 adapter that performs well on the A7RII. My recollection is that the A7II will require the A4 adapter with its translucent mirror which raises focus plan considerations.

Personally, I want to only use one camera model when shooting with multiple bodies. I would prefer having two A7RII bodies but can't justify the investment till I sell of my Fuji Kit.

I've not had a problem with the 24-70 FE lens.

What got me into mirrorless was the Fuji X Pro 1. That led to an XT-1 kit for weddings. Now, because of a need for the larger file size and full frame of other work, and the introduction of the A7RII, I've decided to go back to a single camera kit. Thus, the Fuji kit is up for sale, then I'll get a second A7RII and sell the A7II.

That said, everyone has their own approach.

rollsman44

David, thank you. Do you have any problems with the 24-70 FE lens ? I have been reading some reviews and they talk about Vignetting problems and the F4 and which it was F2 or 2.8 thanks

dmward

I don't notice anything extreme.
I haven't paid too close attention to vignetting since I tend to use vignettes to help draw the viewer to main subject in the picture when processing.
While its not the sharpest lens I've owned its plenty good enough for weddings. I've used it extensively for other work as well and have been happy with it.

Based on fora comments, I think there may be sample to sample variations.
Wider maximum apertures mean larger, heavier lenses. One reason for moving to Fuji and then Sony mirrorless was to have a smaller lighter kit.

Personally, I don't miss the F2.8. It may offer marginally better focusing in low light but I've not had a problem.

Hi Speedgraphic, you make a lot of sense. I now have the Nikon D600 and very pleased with. IQ is Excellent. I have the Nikon 50mm 1.8 ( or is 55mm) on it and great results. So, I will just get a Sont A7ii and the Batis 85/1.8 for it.
Let me know how that sounds Truly appreciate it . Thanks Dennis
Sounds great, you're playing to the strengths of the camera. The A7II is a great platform for things you wouldn't normally do with a DSLR. A sweet Zeiss 85mm sounds perfect. Don't be afraid to play around.

rollsman44

Thank you all. Is it possible to post some wedding images using the Sony A7ii Greatly appreciated. Thank you