The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Pro Support

davidstock

I've sent in two applications--one using the submit button and one by email. Neither one has been acknowledged after several days, although I got an apparent phishing email about being accepted. I guess I better call somebody next week.

--d

dmward

David repair is in CT ... I dropped mine off at FedEx on a Friday afternoon and it got to Precision on Monday before 9am and I am in the Mid Atlantic region.........

Mine has been there for a week now waiting on parts though Pro Support offered a loaner last Thursday.
Jim,
My reference to NJ was related to Canon Pro Services.
I expect that it should be about the same from Chicago to CT.

One would think that parts at a manufacturer's pro support facility would be a non-issue.

Jim DE

Yeah One would think especially when Sony only designate one body as a so called Pro Body and that is the a99............

I wrote both the rep handling my Pro Service account and the executive in charge of this program at Sony USA Electronic's Division. She stated she would address this issue to avoid others from having a similar experience as I am having. IMO this is both Sony's and the 3rd party service companies fault...... Sony for not assuring they had the parts on hand and Precision for not pushing to have the necessary parts to build several of their designated pro a99 body's from the bench up. Stiffening scroll wheels is a common a99 complaint with the early models. It's not like Sony has a bunch of these models designated as Pro (I have already discussed in other threads what I actually think of that term Pro Body because being a paid photographer any body I choose to use for a given project are my so called Pro Bodies that day).

I really don't use the a99 that much and I have lot's of other Sony bodies to use if it is in repair so waiting on parts this time is not really a issue. For me it was to get the stiffening scroll wheels fixed and a cleaning while there but also to see just what the Pro Program is like and if it is all that they claim. So far I did not get my body back in 3 day's but was contacted if I wanted a body to use so so far it is what they said it would be........ now where the real issue will be is if the Pro Support group doesn't pursue Sony Parts division to expedite the shipment of parts to the repair service for Pro Support Program products waiting on parts. I am sure Laredo, TX when it was still their repair house had parts and could get them quickly if needed as I have not heard that complaint in the past. I have heard units sitting quite awhile waiting on parts when this 3rd party repair place was used in the past but not having a Pro Support program. I'll give them 2 weeks just in case the parts come from Japan or the Far East somewhere...... after that I will raise the battle flag and voice my displeasure from rep level to top management......... IMO there is no excuse not to have the parts for a current model (especially their designated Pro Body) in the 3rd party repair house after 2 weeks. If it does then someone some where dropped the ball and the request sat on a desk or bin far longer than it should of. I told Pro Support they need to assist the Repair facility acquire parts for Pro Program equipment.

My camera went to a "Hold" for parts status on 11/19/15 and that is when the timer started for me on the 20th.......by 12/4/15 it should move back into the repair system and parts should be available. We will see........... I might give them a few extra days due to this being during the holiday's and ship times can be longer than expected.

JMaher

Jim I sent a blank form by accident on Friday got a note this morning it was blank and this time they got it this morning. So they where right on top of it. There submitting the form is really odd.
I guess if I don't get a response in the next day or so I will try again :) Very strange that you don't even know if the form was received (or even if it was sent).

Jim

Jim DE

Well an update .. I just checked my repair status on my a99 that was sent in for scroll wheel stiffening with use and a cleaning and was delayed waiting for parts. Status shows in and out of repair from 11/17-11/25 and shipped. Tracking shows arrival tomorrow.

Now the final evaluation will be if it is fixed and cleaned but I personally don't think 8 days in and out of repair on a unit waiting for parts is all that bad. In fact I would say it is better than I anticipated. If everything was fixed and clean I think the Pro Support Program is worth every penny. I will update tomorrow after it arrive's and I validate the work and condition of the body.

dmward

Based on FedEx tracking my A7II arrived on Wednesday.
For some reason FedEx had a problem getting it to them on Tuesday so the clock started Wednesday, with today off for eating and watching football.

Jim DE

Rear scroll wheel still feels a bit stiff but I will continue to use it to see if it gets looser with use. Front wheel is great. Cleaning and adjustments seem spot on.

My experience was far better than I anticipated for a 3rd party repair.....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Rear scroll wheel still feels a bit stiff but I will continue to use it to see if it gets looser with use. Front wheel is great. Cleaning and adjustments seem spot on.

My experience was far better than I anticipated for a 3rd party repair.....
Jim I actually have had several good experiences with Precison camera. I know there has been a lot of bad written on them. Not sure what to think

dmward

I have no experience with Precision Camera but, generally I don't have a problem with outsourced repair if the manufacturer provides adequate support.

It comes down to how well Sony provides parts, technical assistance and Quality Control oversight.

Jim DE

Guy on Pro Support I never had to deal or make contact with the third party repair facility. All my contact was with the Sony rep handling my claim and to give feedback to the Sony Pro Program Executive Director. I do not know what if any contact they had with the third Party Repair company but in this case the results for a body needing parts to be ordered( which I have stated earlier I feel should not of been requires for the only current Sony body identified as their Pro camera) I think the length of time in repair was acceptable.

I hope the Director acts on assuring they have all the parts to build a few cameras in at least their designated Pro Camera

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Im in

Dear Sony Customer,

Thank you for applying to the Sony Imaging PRO Support. Be inform your application has been reviewed and you are eligible to become member of the program.
To complete your application process, the $100 membership fee needs to be collected, please have your credit card information readily and contact us at Monday to Friday - 7am-4pm PST to complete your payment transaction.

We look forward to hear from you and Welcome to the Sony PRO Support program.

dmward

I just got the same email.
Complete with the poor grammar. It suggests that "Johnny", the signature name on my email, is not a native American speaker. (I didn't say English speaker because I didn't want to offend our friend on the island that consider themselves English speakers.)

Sony Pro Support still has some work to do.

I called the number, which is the same number I called last week to get help with my A7II problem. It was immediately apparent that I got dropped into the Sony consumer support call center tree. The woman I finally was connected to had no idea what I was talking about. She took my contact number and said she would track down Sony Pro Support staff and have them call me or she would call me and tell me how to get in touch with them.

She provided good customer support. Sony Pro Support not so much.

dmward

Two updates:
1) FedEx just delivered the repaired A7II.
The ticket says they completed repair on 11/27. Considering the holiday and FedEx not getting it to them until Wednesday that's a one day turn around. Up to Pro standards I got from Canon Pro Services.
So, happy there. Quick test with Sony 16-35, Metabones IV and Sigma Macro, Canon 300 and Canon 300 with 2XSigma converter was successful. Everything focused quickly. The 300 and converter with small spot needed lots of contrast. It worked better with Medium spot.
I also found the getting focus close with manual helped it find and keep focus.

The explanation of repairs has some interesting comments. Mainly because they are so cryptic that its impossible to understand what they mean:
"Auto Focus Test, check, recalibration and realignment
Firmware download: corrections and adjustments; address values measured and adjusted"

They also used a part: "AS ring cushion B" What is that?

2) Got a call back and voice mail from Sony Consumer Support to explain the phone problem and that someone from Pro Support would call.
Also, got a call back and voice mail from Pro Support saying there was a phone problem and they would call back to collect the information to complete enrollment.

So, good experience all around.

My only suggestion is that Pro Support needs to find a way to direct calls if there is a problem so they DO NOT go to consumer support. A harried pro, with a problem, is not going to be understanding about having to go through 4 or 5 menu layers on the consumer site to find a person to talk to, then to find out they have no idea what Pro Support is all about.

dmward

Agree I want a direct line to Pro support
I think the 866-470-xxxx is supposed to be direct to Pro Support, its just that when the problem occurred it rolled over to the Consumer call center. That's a setup error on Sony Telecom Management's part.

I called it again about a half hour ago and it rang about 6 times then went to a person's voice mail. The name was asian sounding and said they were unavailable. At least that's better than Consumer center. Ideally they should be able to send a problem number to a message saying its out of service please use e-mail or web contract form to contact them with a call back number.

JMaher

How are they about responding to a request to join Pro-Support? I sent a request form in on 11/29 and have yet to hear anything.

Jim