The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Pro Support

jpaulmoore

Hello all, can anyone here share their experience with Sony Pro Support? Is it a good deal/value?
Thanks,
J. Paul

Jim DE

I am on the program but cannot offer much first hand experience using it.... I have not had to send anything in for service ....

I am hearing some favorable experiences from other's recently ....

DennisHHH

I joined about two months ago after evaluating the pluses or minuses and decided there were more pluses. Just the fact that Pro support is available for any question that you might have is invaluable. I had them set up a cleaning of my A7r backup camera which went extremely well. I received a prepaid package sticker from them and send it out to Connecticut for cleaning and inspection. Four days later it came back totally cleaned, calabrated and looking brand-new. As a pro member you get three cleanings a year. I've also sent requests for firmware and software improvements to them which they foreword to the A7 technical team, who knows if it'll do any good but it's worth a try. Representatives were extremely personable and helpful. I'm looking forward to also using them to try out some of the new lenses especially a telephoto for my A7R2. A Hundred dollars for a years support seems to be a good deal from my perspective especially when they will loan you a camera in the event of a catastrophic failure. One other thing I forgot to say was you get a 20% discount on any repairs. I also requested that Sony Pro should have warranties you can buy directly from Sony when buying a camera from companies like B&H. They do honor some other extended warranties but not all of them.

I am on the program but cannot offer much first hand experience using it.... I have not had to send anything in for service ....

I am hearing some favorable experiences from other's recently ....

Last edited:

davidstock

I got an email acceptance for the Pro Support program, but it was full of spelling and grammar mistakes. Honestly, it seemed like a phishing email. Strange. But I did apply, so maybe it's legit. I guess I'll call and see what's what.

--d

Jim DE

I got an email acceptance for the Pro Support program, but it was full of spelling and grammar mistakes. Honestly, it seemed like a phishing email. Strange. But I did apply, so maybe it's legit. I guess I'll call and see what's what.

--d
I would doubt very seriously if it was legit... I have never heard them do this before at least here in the USA. Personally, I would forward the letter you got to your Sony electronics division management for verification and certification.

The pro support application require a fair amount of time consuming busy work involving sending the serial numbers of two full frame bodies and 3 G lenses. You company web addy Etc .... It is IMO over kill and why I say it is most likely a phish from someone trying to get $100 from you

mbroomfield

Here's a link ... it says you need 3 Sony FF lenses as well as bodies but I don't think you do

https://esupport.sony.com/info/1523/US/EN

EDIT : Also note that the SUBMIT button does not work. You apparently need to print or save a copy and send it to Sony.

I'd be interested in hearing the procedure other's used as I tried the submit method a few times and got no reply....

Last edited:

Jim DE

I went directly through the Upper Level Manager heading up this Program in the USA when it was first starting out. She was very helpful and expedited my membership but this is not the way they prefer to take applications.

I would suggest talking directly with those who are managing this program directly after you have your application filed out to expedite the process. This is their contact info

"Our dedicated support team is available seven days a week between 7 AM – 4 PM PST and can be reached by calling 866-470-7669 or emailing [email protected]."

jpaulmoore

I spoke with Sony Pro Support yesterday after being accepted in to the program and my packet is on the way!
J. Paul

mbroomfield

I sent in a saved PDF 8 days ago and finally got an email today telling me I was accepted so I called and paid the entrance fee. Given the stories about Precision Camera for normal service I'm happy I'm covered now.

PCinAZ

I would doubt very seriously if it was legit... I have never heard them do this before at least here in the USA. Personally, I would forward the letter you got to your Sony electronics division management for verification and certification.

The pro support application require a fair amount of time consuming busy work involving sending the serial numbers of two full frame bodies and 3 G lenses. You company web addy Etc .... It is IMO over kill and why I say it is most likely a phish from someone trying to get $100 from you
This is the acceptance e-mail I received from ProImaging Support a few months ago. I thought it was cordial and appropriate:
"Dear Member,

Congratulations, you have been approved to join the SONY Imaging Pro Support Program. Please contact us at XXXX M-F 7am PT-4pm PT to pay your yearly membership fee. The membership fee is $100. Once we received your payment, we will send you your Welcome Kit, which includes your membership card with your membership id#"

The e-mail provides all the contact information, the name of program director, phone and even his cell phone number. Responses are fast via e-mail and every time I called someone picked up.

Upon payment, they send a more formal e-mail:

"Dear XXXX,

Welcome to the Sony Imaging PRO Support program. We have sent you a Welcome Kit (tracking number: 77397430XXXX). On behalf of everyone at Sony α (alpha), we would like to thank you for being a valued Sony customer and for giving us the opportunity to assist you through our professional services program.

Your Sony Imaging PRO Support program gives you access to the following benefits*:

Expert Support
• U.S. dedicated phone and email support
• 3 Days repair turnaround time
• Repair loaners
• Pre-purchase evaluation loaners
Equipment Maintenance
• 3 free cleanings and maintenance
• Pre-paid in-bound and return shipping
• 20% discount on out-of-warranty repairs

* Subject to the program terms and conditions at Sony Digital Imaging PRO Support, which may be updated from time to time.

As a reminder, only registered Sony products are eligible for benefits of this program. Please provide us with the model, serial number, description of problem, and any special request.

Please have your member ID (USXXXX) readily available when requesting assistance. Our dedicated support team is available seven days a week between 7 AM – 4 PM PST and can be reached by calling 866-470-7669 or emailing [email protected].

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to be your professional service provider.

Sincerely,

Geo

Sony Imaging Support Program"

The welcome kit comes with a nice binder kit, contract/info and Pro Support camera strap. I borrowed the 35/1.4 and 90/2.8G Macro which goes through the Lens Rentals program. LR keeps a separate stash of lenses owned by Sony. Sony helped me change the shipping address mid shipment on the equipment. I imagine this fee will increase in the future but have been really happy with their service. I'm going to use it to send in some equipment for cleaning and will provide an update on how that goes.

Pat

Last edited:

Jim DE

I have been a member since it started and last Thu I decided to send my a99 in to repair the front and rear wheels getting stiff during usage and while there get a cleaning. I got the label within a half an hour and dropped it off at FedEx Friday. It arrived in CT Monday morning. Tuesday afternoon I got a confirmation letter that gave me the repair number and to notify me it arrived. I just checked the status after reading your 3 day turnaround note and it shows delayed waiting on parts and parts ordered. Needless to say it's not going to be a 3 day turnaround ;)

I have barely used that camera the past 3 months so being over 3 days isn't going to be much of a issue. Now if it would of been one of the bodies I use for most my work this would bother me more but I have backups for backups. We will see how this process pan's out.... I sort of expected a parts issue for this repair.

I will update the board as this process continues ... Right now I am just sitting back and evaluating the experience as I was brought into this program by the senior executive in charge of this program and she gave me her direct contact number if I ever needed it. Hopefully I won't have to use it....

Jim DE

One thing I thought about and it sort of bothers me. Sony has basically one current body designated as a so called Pro Body and that is the a99 (I use a array of Sony bodies and the one I have in my hand for a paid assignment is my so called Pro body at that time so designations by manufacturers or others mean nothing to me). I sent in a a99 with a scroll wheels binding issue and a cleaning. Now, Sony designates the a99 as a Pro body and it is in Precision for a repair and cleaning under the Pro Support Program one would think the program team would require and supply its 3rd party repair company to keep enough parts on hand to build a number of these a99's from the bench up to a complete camera at any given time. They only have one so called pro designated body ...... I don't need this body and honestly rarely use it but it is something to think about.

The Pro Support Team member handling my repair did call me directly and I did express basically what I expressed above and he stated he understood my position and would push this upwards to his manager so the Team can resolve this for future Pro service users. It's a new program and I am sure they are experiencing some growing pains that get resolved as they occur. Let's hope they address and resolve this issue ..... I would not as of yet say this is caused totally by the 3rd party repair facility as I feel Sony has a major responsibility to have parts readily available or in stock at the repair facility. This scroll wheel binding with use issue is one of the known defects the a99 experiences often.

dmward

As I noted in another thread here, I called Sony Pro Support Friday when a problem came to light with my A7II.
I had filled out the application earlier in the day but it had not been processed.

At first the guy I was talking to wanted me to call consumer support, I pointed out that I was looking at 2 full frame cameras and 4 Sony FE lenses with a total investment approaching $8K and suggested that it was a Pro Support issue. He agreed and we went through the trouble shooting sequence to no avail.

He ran it up to higher level support and called back saying the camera would have to be sent into them for repair.

The sent me an email with instructions and work order, including a pre-paid overnight shipping label.

I'll see how fast they turn it around. At the moment, the $100 fee is reasonable, especially considering the pre-paid label.

Canon Pro Service which I subscribed to for years was the same annual fee but they only paid return shipping.

With them if I shipped it from Chicago to New Jersey on Monday they would get it on Wednesday, work the problem and have it back to me via overnight by Friday.

I dropped the A7II off at FedEx on Sunday, so Sony should have it today. We'll see how fast it turns around. Considering the holiday I don't expect it till early next week.

They did say they would keep me informed via email.

Jim DE

David repair is in CT ... I dropped mine off at FedEx on a Friday afternoon and it got to Precision on Monday before 9am and I am in the Mid Atlantic region.........

Mine has been there for a week now waiting on parts though Pro Support offered a loaner last Thursday.

JMaher

I think I applied for this today but not sure if the application went through. Do you get any kind of response that it has been sent or received?

I will have to see if they accept my application. I have two full frame bodies but one is an RX1. I also have an A6000. I do have 5 FF lenses.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jim I sent a blank form by accident on Friday got a note this morning it was blank and this time they got it this morning. So they where right on top of it. There submitting the form is really odd.