The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good news for Sony A7II owners : firmware update

Eddie3dfx

This firmware update will add uncompressed raws and better focusing with adapted lenses, in particular A lenses.

Sony to Bring Uncompressed Raw to a7 II via Firmware Update; Follow B&H Photo Explora Blog for Updates
If sony decides to abandon the sony a7r / sony a7s /and sony a7 models, I will dump them as a camera manufacturer.
Even though I like my 35 2.8/55 combo, I'm sure new competition will come out on the market.

If you are going to provide a firmware update to the a7II, do it to the current models. This has always been my problem with Sony, that they treat products like a toy vs giving them long term support. I had their business model laptops.. they looked great, portable, excellent screens.. but support? Zip

Annna T

If sony decides to abandon the sony a7r / sony a7s /and sony a7 models, I will dump them as a camera manufacturer.
Even though I like my 35 2.8/55 combo, I'm sure new competition will come out on the market.

If you are going to provide a firmware update to the a7II, do it to the current models. This has always been my problem with Sony, that they treat products like a toy vs giving them long term support. I had their business model laptops.. they looked great, portable, excellent screens.. but support? Zip
May be that they are going step by step. I find it is a little too early to cry about Sony not updating the first generation models : the A7sII got the uncompressed option from scratch. Then the A7rII got it not so long ago. Next will be the A7II. May be that the other cameras will come a little later ? Or may be that their less powerful processor won't be able to handle it. Who knows ? Anyway IMO it is too early to complain about it.

Last edited:

Annna T

This link appears to no longer be working.

I found something on Sony Rumors that relates to a B&H announcement. Based on what's there the function enhancements are also good news. Especially the AF.
You are right..

Sony alpha rumors has a long quote here
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-will-add-uncomrpessed-raw-on-the-a7ii-via-firmware-updated-coming-on-november-18/#disqus_thread

The info was picked from B&H's blog (?) but I went to their website and didn't find any blog links, just a profusion of social networks links (face book, Twitter etc..)

What that means for me is, uncompressed raw, great, fine, ok...I am currently ok with my files but cool. But really better AF with Contax G lenses should I decide to get the adapter! Now all they need to do is make a good AFíng Nikon adapter so I can use my 58/1.4. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's a body I can rent to shoot my runway shows so I'm not killing my primary with 15k images.

Brian Mosley

I'll be happy if Sony will support their current generation bodies - i.e the RX100 mk iv... I'm getting frequent problems with compressed raw artifacts in my 9 shot bursts for stacking in PhotoAcute.

This firmware is more than just uncompressed raw. The other features are arguably more important to more people - improved AF with adapted lenses - and sadly that feature is not supported on any of the first generation models due to their lack of Phase Detect pixels.

Instead of threatening a tantrum, maybe we should be applauding that Sony is adding significant features to a model that is a year old, regardless of its generation.

Providing near native AF speed with adapted lenses is a big deal considering how many Canon shooters are interested in switching but may not want to risk purchasing a $3,000 a7RII body. Now that bar to entry is significantly lower and they can use most EF lenses with excellent performance.

raist3d

Firmware upgrades can only go so far in terms of time for already released cameras. We can't expect Sony to back support everything.

Besides, they are still in the phase of extending support anyway.

- Ricardo

ggibson

I'm not holding my breath for any updates to the A7, A7r, or A7s though. Sony has a very poor track record for providing useful (i.e. non-bug fixing) firmware upgrades. Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic are all much better at supporting their cameras after release. Jeez, Olympus just updated their 2-year old E-M1 with a TON of new features on a firmware update. At the same time, Sony does the bare minimum and charges for apps to add features that other cameras have built-in.