The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One rotation when tethered

bdp

Hi guys, looking for some advice here. I normally shoot Hassy tethered to Phocus, or Canon to Capture One, but I own a Sony A7rII which I have been using for some work too and decided to try tethering it today. It was working fine but I ran into a problem when shooting directly overhead, camera pointing down to a table top, in portrait orientation for a magazine cover. The image comes into the computer in landscape orientation, and even after rotating it the following capture is landscape again.

Is there any way to lock the orientation to avoid this? It's pretty much unusable if not, especially with a crop applied, an overlay on etc. I can't rotate every capture manually with clients there etc. There is nothing I can see in the camera settings to fix it, but I really hope I'm wrong!!

Bob Parsons

I'm not sure if this will work or not, probably not but it's worth a try.

Camera menu, 5th icon on top row (arrow head), sub menu 1, set Display Rotation to OFF.

Bob.

I've head this issue when shooting in studio (straight down) or with Architecture (straight up). The camera literally doesn't know which way is up when you have it perfectly leveled and pointing up or down. For me, it was with Phase One backs. When I correct the rotation in Capture 1, the software for some reason refuses to apply that to the next capture, even though it applies all the other settings.

Definitely a C1 bug and most annoying.

CB

bdp

I'm not sure if this will work or not, probably not but it's worth a try.

Camera menu, 5th icon on top row (arrow head), sub menu 1, set Display Rotation to OFF.

Bob.
Hi Bob,

Thanks I am on that setting now, and tried all the others. I think that just affects how images are displayed during playback on the camera.

Ben

bdp

I've head this issue when shooting in studio (straight down) or with Architecture (straight up). The camera literally doesn't know which way is up when you have it perfectly leveled and pointing up or down. For me, it was with Phase One backs. When I correct the rotation in Capture 1, the software for some reason refuses to apply that to the next capture, even though it applies all the other settings.

Definitely a C1 bug and most annoying.

CB
Thanks Chris, very helpful info. I suppose I'll have to lobby Phase for a fix, otherwise I can't really use the camera tethered. I seem to shoot a lot of overhead portrait shots.

With my Hassy I can lock the orientation in the camera's menu which avoids any of this trouble. Plus, Phocus remembers the rotation for the next capture, which is no-brainer really. Like remembering the WB or other settings.

Ben

bdp

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that. Actually I've had a reply from Phase support, but I haven't had a chance to try their solution.

They said:

Hi,

You should be able to change this.

Go to Next Capture Adjustments and under All Other go copy from last.

Then in the Camera Tab at the top of Capture One you can select what orientation you want on import.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Phase One Support

Seems like a complicated solution, but it just be a case of me being unfamiliar with C1. I'll try it when I get into the studio today and report back.

Ben

bdp

Just tried it - doesn't work. The Camera menu item 'Orientation' just shows all the options greyed out.

Bummer...

Ben

bdp

Well Phase support has been quite helpful with a workaround.

They told me some cameras, like the A7rII, don't support the ability to specify orientation on import, due to the data that the camera supplies when tethered. This is why the orientation settings are greyed out in the camera tab in C1.

The way to do it is to select 'copy from primary using clipboard' in the Next Capture Adjustment tool, then tick every box in the Adjustments Clipboard list (except metadata perhaps) and then any change made to the last capture, including rotation, is applied to the subsequent capture. Works fine. I'm happy there is a solution and I have learned a bit more about some of C1's intricacies.

Ben