The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

zEIss: 5 more FF-E coming ...

V

Vivek

What I find the most intriguing is that earlier Sony said that the short lens flange makes tele lens designs very difficult. Now, Zeiss claim the same for wides. :facesmack:

Eoin

Just wish they announce the dang roadmap so I can plan.
+1 on this ....

I find myself hovering over the buy button but pausing because it's not really the focal length I want (Batis 25 & 85).
I don't really want to go manual focus with the Loxia as I can get those ranges in C/Y Zeiss for less money.
Just give me a nice 21, maybe a nice 35 too & definitely a fast 100 Batis and I'll be happy.

In the mean time I'll just keep watching ebay for a reasonably priced C/Y 21 & 35f1.4 to tide me over for the next couple of years.
The sony 35 f1.4 and Macro 90 are nice but just too big IMO.

Knorp

+1 on this ....

I find myself hovering over the buy button but pausing because it's not really the focal length I want (Batis 25 & 85).
I don't really want to go manual focus with the Loxia as I can get those ranges in C/Y Zeiss for less money.
Just give me a nice 21, maybe a nice 35 too & definitely a fast 100 Batis and I'll be happy.

In the mean time I'll just keep watching ebay for a reasonably priced C/Y 21 & 35f1.4 to tide me over for the next couple of years.
Just wish they announce the dang roadmap so I can plan.

Patience, young grasshopper(s) ... :lecture:

:ROTFL:

philip_pj

The FE guessing games..so we know we have Loxia 21-35-50. And Batis 25-85.

Of the five FE lenses through to the end of 2016 that Zeiss have committed to produce, it makes sense for the AF Batis side of things to be 35/2, 100/2 and 135mm (most likely f2.8, for still plenty of separation). The dominance of the FE55 already overshadows the Loxia 50/2, so there is not much likelihood of another CZ lens at that FL, for now. Zeiss took almost a decade to update the last of the ZE/ZF range and they were the Milvus 50 and Milvus 85.

For Loxia, the video folks would love a 75mm I'd say, since that is a regular focal length for Leica M stills photographers, in fact the 75AA is a serious favorite of many shooters and Leica offer several lens styles and max apertures there, and they can keep the lens small. With manual focus however, I don't see them making a longer short telephoto, so perhaps a 28mm or a 15mm? The 18mm might be wasted as it is very close to the very good 21mm; and the 21mm will surprise plenty of people, its MTF is outstanding.

Ultra wides are so popular these days and Distagons are a matter of pride for Zeiss, the ZE/ZF 15/2.8 is a beauty; perhaps a 15mm might be f4 in Loxia for size/weight concerns. 28mm is an orphan focal length these days, but after the Otus it can't be ruled out either. If you look at the 13 lens ZM range, apart from the recent 35/1.4 there was just one fast lens, the Sonnar 50/1.5.

[Sony will do the fast FE lenses, a 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 for sure, similar style to the FE 35/1.4, then maybe a 135/2 or a 180/2.8. These will be expensive and very good optically and build, the pro edition if you like.]

For Zeiss that would give us: Batis 25-35-85-100-135 and Loxia 15-21-35-50-75. Put them together and not much is really missing. You could see all of them selling well. That's my crystal ball, probably all wrong. lol. So with ten Zeiss lenses, the end of next year might see 30+ lenses all up, with CV UWAs as well as the f2.8 zooms for 24-70 and 70-200 they are talking up.

Not too shabby, this would cement them as a premium brand for quality aware users, with loads of choice. The Zeiss brand will be huge for Sony, and since the two already known ZM 'knock offs' of 35/50 were the first out the door, it's all about to see the light of day with the catch up on Batis b/orders and the 21/2.8. As a result of this and the 2nd vsn cameras, Sony will soon be hard to catch in FF MILC, should anyone want to try.

Their latest financials show pretty good volume but very good profit levels from higher end products, so the low-mid end (like the 28/2) might have to wait, and many will adapt legacy lenses in any case.

Annna T

@ Philip-pj

You just missed the previous message : second a Zeiss UK rep, one of the five lenses to be announced is a 18mm Batis. Then I think that they will add a 135mm to the Batis line.

Personnally I would prefer if Zeiss was offering a single lens line and not have to mix and match the two plus the Sony ones. Right now, the available FE lenses build a really incoherent system (apart of the Sony three zooms covering 16-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm with a constant aperture of F4*).

I prefer the Loxia form factor and think they are cuter than the Batis. But given the state of my eyes, I would like them to be AF. I want super sharp lenses, very well corrected distortion for the wide angle, but slower aperture in order to keep them small and light. I would like 21mm (28mm too a little later) 90mm and 135mm. I like the Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8, so no needs in the middle.

*) I got the three, but only like the 24-70mm (I was lucky to get a good copy), but I dislike the two others which are at the same time big heavy and weak. I end up using the Canon 70-200mm F4 which is clearly better most of the time and rarely use the 16-35mm. I'm thinking to sell both.

pegelli

What I find the most intriguing is that earlier Sony said that the short lens flange makes tele lens designs very difficult. Now, Zeiss claim the same for wides. :facesmack:
Interesting Vivek, I have missed that remark from Sony. In my simple mind I would think it's only a question of putting a little longer tube at the mount end of the lens and you're done. So I'm now wondering what I'm missing if it is true what Sony said :confused:

karlfoto

This is what i was most interested in.

Omar asks: “Will ZEISS have plans for specialty lenses, like Macro or Tilt-shift?”

Zeiss: This is a question that is asked regularly. We are well aware of the lack of specialty lenses in the FE-mount system and we are working on developing some for this system. Right now, we do not wish to publish any further details about our future developments.

e-mount 24, 45 and 90mm ts lenses would help me jump from my canon setup straight to a A7Rii without blinking. First would have to be the 24 though! I am still using my 5dii+17tse and having to bracket and layer blend more than i would like to. 42mp is not that far away from 50mp, but a good DR is important to my architecture and landscape. I think that they would get a fair shair of architectural photographers if such lenses were available in e-mount.

ZEISS...I hope you are paying attention enough to go ahead with this.

Annna T

This is what i was most interested in.

Omar asks: “Will ZEISS have plans for specialty lenses, like Macro or Tilt-shift?”

Zeiss: This is a question that is asked regularly. We are well aware of the lack of specialty lenses in the FE-mount system and we are working on developing some for this system. Right now, we do not wish to publish any further details about our future developments.

e-mount 24, 45 and 90mm ts lenses would help me jump from my canon setup straight to a A7Rii without blinking. First would have to be the 24 though! I am still using my 5dii+17tse and having to bracket and layer blend more than i would like to. 42mp is not that far away from 50mp, but a good DR is important to my architecture and landscape. I think that they would get a fair shair of architectural photographers if such lenses were available in e-mount.

ZEISS...I hope you are paying attention enough to go ahead with this.

My eye was caught by that paragraph too. But I find it very easy to use Canon TSE lenses on the A7rs using the Metabones smart adapter. I'm using both the 24mm and the 90mm. However, I do still have the first version of the 24mm and I will wait now before updating to the second version. In fact, with the arrival of the A7rII I have decided that I can sell my 6D and some of the Canon lenses that I have.

So I am very interested in a Zeiss 24mm TSE equivalent too. However I fear that we will have some time to wait before it is issued. They may well start with a macro lens (less of a niche market), although Sony has already issued one, so who knows what and when we will get those specialty lenses ?

al2002

I have the Contax 21/2.8, 28/2.0 and 35/1.4 Distagons and, FYI, they are not exactly small lenses. And they are not exactly cheap on the used market.

+1 on this ....

alba63

Of the five FE lenses through to the end of 2016 that Zeiss have committed to produce, it makes sense for the AF Batis side of things to be 35/2, 100/2 and 135mm (most likely f2.8, for still plenty of separation). The dominance of the FE55 already overshadows the Loxia 50/2,
There is already the Zony 35/2,8, so a Batis 35/2 seems not to make much sense. As 28mm is too close to 35, probably a wider choice like 18mm (21 being already the Loxis).
Same for a 85mm, the Batis is "only" 1,8, but seems to be well received. So why a second one?

135mm is an obvious possibility, however I'd largely prefer an in- between length like the mentioned 100 F2 (love that lens type!!!) or 105mm (Nikon has that fantastic 105mm DC.

regards
Bernie