The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can Leica R Lenses work on Sony A series Cameras

rollsman44

Just curious to see if the Leica lenses will work on the Sony A 7 camera bodies. I believe the R lens are AF thanks

Farnz

The R lenses are manual focus only but can be used on the Sony A7 series of cameras with an adaptor I believe.

Pete.

k-hawinkler

I use Leica M and R lenses all the time on my two A7r/2 cameras.
All you need is an R to E adapter.
An R to M followed by an M to E adapter also works just fine.
There are a number of companies making those adapters.
I found the expensive Novoflex adapters to be precisely made.
But other cheap adapters work as well.

Some, but not all, wide angle M lenses exhibit corner smearing.
That can be addressed by Kolari by replacing the sensor cover glass with a thinner one. But then native lenses might suffer a bit.
How much? Mostly to be determined.

Jeffg53

I have a number of R lenses which have Leitax mounts. To use them on the A mount is a simple matter of swapping the Leitax mounting plate.

Because R's are retrofocus lenses that don't place the rear element too close to the sensor, they'll work perfectly and won't smear the corners (as happens with short M lenses). Many of the primes are Mandler designs, though some of the inexpensive ones, and esp. the kit zooms, were 'borrowed' from Minolta.

If you have R lenses you're well set up for manual focus with A series.

Kirk