The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon TS lenses on A7 bodies

al2002

If any forum members have used Canon's 17 or 24 mm TS lenses with a Metabones adapter on an A7 body would they please post their impressions?

Thanks in advance.

I've been using them for at least a year on dozens of commercial shoots without issue. Lately, more with the view camera, but the Metabones has been great too. Mine is the MkIII without the flocking. The Mk IV is supposed to reduce internal reflections better.

al2002

Thanks for the quick response Chris.

Good to know that you had not optical or mechanical problems with the TS lenses.

The view camera arrangement is new to me. Do you get shading in the corners due to the long lens- sensor distance?

The TS-e's function similarly on the view camera and the MetaBones.

With longer lenses, what's a little different about the view camera setup as opposed to a film or digital back view camera is that I typically see vignetting in the opposite corner of where I would expect it. So... if I'm shifting substantially to the upper left, I'll see vignette in the lower right of the frame. I'm sure this is due to the body cavity obscuring the image. I only see this on the longer lenses where I'm doing a huge movement.

Overall, both setups have provided me with more movements than I ever seem to need and the image quality has been excellent.

CB

jlm

Workshop Member
i've used the 24 with the metabones III and the 17 with the metabones IV (has better internal flare control) with no problems fitted directly on my A7R. they can be a bit tight on the canon fit, but seem to work great

lotta shift here, think this was with the 24:

definitely the 17 here and shifted to the max for fun:

Hausen

I have the 24,45,90 and use them a lot for long exposure work. The only issues I have is a bit of vignetting on the 24 when I shift right. Haven't been able to work our why yet, but normally with a 10 stop ND filter but doesn't seem to happen as much when I shift left. Besides that the only issue is the Metabones IV sometimes still has the no aperture error but take lens off and reset and normally good. The reason I came over to Sony was so I could use these lenses again.

al2002

Thanks again Chris. The additional info is very useful.

FWIW, I am thinking of switching to the A7RII because of its smaller size. The limited selection of Sony FE lenses is a concern so it is good to hear that adapted lenses work well.

mhespenheide

If you don't already have the Canon T/S lenses, don't forget that there's also the option of Mirex's tilt-shift adapter. I'm using one, paired with an LA-EA3, to mount Mamiya 645 lenses with both tilt and shift. I've used Mamiya's 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, and 80mm.

Thanks again Chris. The additional info is very useful.

FWIW, I am thinking of switching to the A7RII because of its smaller size. The limited selection of Sony FE lenses is a concern so it is good to hear that adapted lenses work well.
Check out this job I shot recently for a brochure. It's all on the A7rII with Canon glass. Most of the tight shots were with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. Autofocus via the Metabones was awesome. I also used the 17-40 and the 17 TS-e quite a bit. Ok, actually, some of that was on the XT1... I almost forgot!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/45524396@N06/gLKw49

CB

JaapD

I am particularly interested in why you guys did not go for a Canon body and took the Sony/Metabones route. Is it because of Canon’s limited dynamic range? As I want to learn from your experience could you please respond of this?

It’s much appreciated!

Annna T

I am particularly interested in why you guys did not go for a Canon body and took the Sony/Metabones route. Is it because of Canon’s limited dynamic range? As I want to learn from your experience could you please respond of this?

It’s much appreciated!
Mainly three things (and some more) :

1) lighter and smaller body
2) better sensor and DR
3) EVF : that is a wonderful invention : I couldn't return to an optical finder or to the slow focusing of the 6D when in live view mode. Live view in the VF is a great convenience.

And other small things like the flipping LCD, the better IQ of the LCD. Some advanced functions available like the timelapse app or the remote shooting using a tablet (although there is room for improvements in its implementation). The refined AF modes.

I already had the A7r which was a bit slow. The A7rII took care of that. So I'm ready to sell my 6D.

Before Sony issued the A7 line, I was already shooting with Olympus mirrorless cameras and immediately preferred it to the clunky EOS DSLRs. Now with the A7rII I see no reason to keep a Canon body. My Canon history is : D60 (2002), 5D (2005) and 6D (just before the A7 line was launched, had I known it was coming, I would have passed on that last update). The switch from my range finder cameras to the Canon DSLRs was a hard thing, because while I immediately bounded with the ease of digital cameras compared to film scanning, getting accustomed to the size and weight of Canon DSLRs has always been an issue for me, something I resented.

But then I'm not a fast action shooter and don't need fast AF tracking.

al2002

If you don't already have the Canon T/S lenses, don't forget that there's also the option of Mirex's tilt-shift adapter. I'm using one, paired with an LA-EA3, to mount Mamiya 645 lenses with both tilt and shift. I've used Mamiya's 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, and 80mm.
Thanks for the suggestion. I really need a wide, 24 or 17mm.

Stefan Steib

The 2 Canon TS-E lenses also work very well on our HCam Master TS adapter, allowing movements like a Viewcamera - shift, tilt and rise at the same time.

You have to prestopdown the Canon lenses, but this is less nuisance than expected, set them to f11 and forget about it.
The sony viewfinder compensates easily for the stop down light loss, advantage is: with focus indication you see exactly where your sharpness "cloud" goes and best - there is of course no focusshift whatsoever with this method.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Attachments