The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mmmm.. That 21mm Loxia looks good

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's smack damn in the middle between my 15 and 25 and I am first on the list at one of my dealers but I'm still torn. It's a little close to my Batis 25 which is one of those in my cold hands lenses. I think I would rather have a 18mm since that just gaps better between 15 and 25 but obviously only rumors of a 18mm. In debate still but I would love Loxia lenses wider than my 25 super wides I want manual focus glass. These are more personal choices over business choices for me.

Guy Mancuso

That's the part that kills ya is you know it's going to be a winner. I need 1500 falling from the sky day. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Here one way to convince yourself. Think small and light . This kit makes you smile. VC 15, Loxia 21, even the Sony 28, Sony 35 2.8, Sony 55 mm . That's just a small kit right there. Even throwing the Batis 85 in there won't break your back

iiiNelson

It seems like a "must have" for the stock bodies, but either the 25 should have been a 28, or the 21 should have been a 18!

Actually both. 18 and 28 is really nice. :banghead:
Well I hate 28's so I'm happy for the 25 and 21 decisions personally.

frozenbb

Thanks for posting this, Annna. It certainly diminishes my desire for that bulky 16-35 zoom! The 21 would pair nicely with the Voigtlander/Cosina 15, as well.

Speaking of the e-mount 15mm, does anyone know if the hood/petals will be removable this time? My machinist skills aren't what they used to be! Are you listening, Cosina?

Hausen

I am thinking that the 21 Loxia is my next lens. Getting a native wide to use with my A7rII so as to do away with adapters is very appealing. I have the Zeiss 15 2.8 and the Canon 24TSE but both are enormous on A7rII with adapters. Just have to find one now.

Jose Viegas

I just saw that review and it looks great! I have the Sony 16-35 but am considering selling it and get either the VC 15 f4.5 or this Loxia 21, or both? :facesmack: Fact is the zoom is more versatile...

Jim DE

:ROTFL: photographer's "Crack"= Zeiss badging on anything

Those German's (with the help of Sony sensor's) figured all of us out quick.... And we were blaming the Middle East for all the addicts in the USA :D

Then Zeiss limits the supply so we chase leads all over the world to get ahold of them..... I'll admit it I am a addict!!! ;) Where's our 12 step program??

Hausen

I am first on the list at my local shop. There were 7 people ahead of me but I traded in a couple of lenses that I wasn't using and thereby have prepaid, now I am first. Have been told Mid-January ETA.

Ken_R

It's smack damn in the middle between my 15 and 25 and I am first on the list at one of my dealers but I'm still torn. It's a little close to my Batis 25 which is one of those in my cold hands lenses. I think I would rather have a 18mm since that just gaps better between 15 and 25 but obviously only rumors of a 18mm. In debate still but I would love Loxia lenses wider than my 25 super wides I want manual focus glass. These are more personal choices over business choices for me.
The 21 fills a gap but between the 21 and the 25 Im inclined to take the 21 and just crop as needed it also gives me a bit of cropping headroom when transforming an image for vertical corrections (since neither is a T&S lens). The old 21 is a beautiful lens so if the new is similar or even better it is a solid buy.

My 14mm L II Canon is fantastic but I use it very little for landscape since I can't conveniently filter it. The Zeiss 15 (sans hood) is tempting though.

drevil

Staff member
can anyone provide raw images to compare the loxia 21mm vs. the batis 25mm?

i want one of those as next for sure but i am also torn. people seem to say that the loxia is tad bit sharper across the frame, that would be a big WOW considering the size.

cheers

Annna T

can anyone provide raw images to compare the loxia 21mm vs. the batis 25mm?

i want one of those as next for sure but i am also torn. people seem to say that the loxia is tad bit sharper across the frame, that would be a big WOW considering the size.

cheers
Those lenses are hardly available :
The 21mm is announced for the beginning of next year (whatever that is) and only a few selected people have got one for testing purpose.

The 25mm has begun to ship, but is difficult to find in stock.

So it will be a while before someone has both in hands.

Here is a nice review of the 21mm Loxia : #423. Zeiss Loxia 21 ? Two brief reviews of a brilliant new ultra-wide | DearSusan
BTW : the link is already in the first post of this thread.

PS : I just made a Google search with the words Batis 25mm compare Loxia 21mm and that only brought me to forum threads speculations, no real comparisons, which doesn't surprise given the above.

Last edited: