The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware 2.0 for A7ii out on Sony UK site

Mac version - Sony Support

Windows version - Sony Support

Benefits and improvements:
  • Adds the selectable feature for uncompressed 14-Bit RAW image capture(*)
  • Adds support for AF Phase-detection for LA-EA3/LA-EA1
  • Adds custom buttons for MOVIE recording

Glad they are supporting the all-rounder so to speak. I like mine a whole lot. Would love to see them add some support for more than 2 aspect ratios though, which seems to me to be the easiest thing in the world...but what do I know. Hopefully this will allow decent AF with the Contax G adapter.

dmward

Just loaded the firmware upgrade to A7II.
Then did a quick test with some Canon Lenses via Metabone IV with V45 per the Sony menu.

The focus was acceptably fast with all the tested lenses. I have more testing to do but am happy so far.
It seems to be on a par with the A7RII. The uncompressed raw is also welcome.

There is also a V.46 version update for the Metabones IV dated Nov 10, 2015. It seems to help a bit with PD auto focusing.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I found that upgrading to v.46 ruined Canon PDAF with the A7II and v2.0 firmware. Be careful! It was good at v.43 w/2.0.

dmward

I found that upgrading to v.46 ruined Canon PDAF with the A7II and v2.0 firmware. Be careful! It was good at v.43 w/2.0.
That's interesting. I've found it to work well.

It does seem, sometimes, like the Metabones and lens have to get synced.
I also tried holding down the button when attaching the lens. That seems to make things work a bit better.

I've been testing a 300mm F4 L which is an older lens and it seems to be working fine outside even with small focus point selected. I also have been doing some testing with 200mm F2.8 L II. It also seems to work fine. I just tried it with AF-C and slow continuous shutter. Won't find focus with small focus point. Worked with Mid focus point.

I noticed that the Meta Data lists the lens as a 200mm G SSM II when the 200 is mounted on the Metabones IV.

Update: I looked at the 200mm AF-C images. The first was in focus, the second and subsequent were not. It's not something I'd use often. I know the 160-600 Tamron does an acceptable job with the AE3 adapter on the A7R2.
That will be next test with A7II and updated firmware.

Last edited: