The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A REALLY SERIOUS problem with A7II after firmware update

dmward

Yesterday I updated the firmware on my A7II to V2.0.
I then did some testing with various lenses, including several Canon lenses via a Metabones IV adapter with V.46 firmware.

Everything was working swimmingly.

Today, I was getting things ready for a job tomorrow and put a card in the A7II to format. The camera came on for a couple of seconds and then showed "Camera Error. Turn power off and then on." The error kept repeating.

Earlier today I submitted a Pro Support application. I called the number and got a nice guy on the phone. He asked for my member number, I didn't have one so he looked to see what the status was with the application and couldn't find out anything. He continued to help me anyway. Nothing he suggested had any affect.

I am now, impatiently waiting for him to call back after getting more information for upper level support.

Its anathema to go on a job without two camera bodies. Fortunately, I haven't been able to sell my Fuji kit yet so will have it available if this can't get resolved tonight.

In all the years I've been using digital cameras professionally, ranging from the first version Canon 5 D through the 5DIII and then Fuji XT-1s this is the first time that I've had a problem with a firmware update.

pegelli

Bummer :thumbdown:

Might also be something else is broken which has nothing to do with the new firmware, since it worked immediately after the update.

dmward

True.
Although its hard to imagine what could be wrong. Camera has never been dropped or otherwise mistreated.

Sony called back.
The senior tech said that if all the stuff we tried, i.e. taking battery out for a few minutes, etc. didn't work the camera has to go in for repair.

Now we'll see how fast Sony Pro Service is able to fix the problem and turn it around.

When I had my Canon kit, their Pro Service invariably got my stuff turned around in a day. So, UPS second day to them, on Monday and I had it back on Friday. That was Gold service not the top end option.

The only other time I've had to send a camera to anyone for repair was when the mirror came loose in a first generation 5D. Canon had done a recall but I missed it. Send in the first 5D got it back in 5 days then sent in the second camera for the refit. Got it back in 5 days. Luckily a friend had a 5D I could use while mine were traveling.

Unfortunately with this A7II problem there isn't time for Sony to send me a loaner since I have to leave for the job by 8:30a tomorrow.

Annna T

I got the same camera error this past summer with the A7r. I called Sony support and was told to send it to their third party repair service (Sertronic : Sertronics Schweiz - Service for Electronics*>*). The body was still under warranty and everything went flawlessly : it was a broken shutter (visible when I took the lens out) and I had feared they may pretend that it was user error (I had shot many timelapse this summer) or normal wear.

The LCD had that known problem : quite large spots in the middle top edge and in the bottom corners. It wasn't apparent when the LCD was on, so I hadn't sent it back only for that, but given the broken shutter I mentioned that problem as well.

My A7r came back as new ! The turnaround was about a week. Very good since I'm not on a pro program (and don't think there is one in the EU). They acknowledged the receiving of the camera by email, but didn't warn before sending it back, nor give a tracking number (high I had explicitly requested)

My only nit : I had dust on the sensor and hoped that they would clean it, I was so sure that they would do it, that I didn't even mention it in the list of problems. But it came back with all the dust and may be also some more. That was a little frustrating, since I don't like wet cleaning sensor.

Last edited:

Jim DE

I am sitting here trying to remember a reboot process we had for the a77's but can't remember it for the life of me ... Hey I'm old .... Maybe this holding down two buttons and shutting the camera off and on with them depressed will work on the A7 series too.

Maybe some one here remembers the procedure from back
K then or go on DPR's A mount forum and ask or do a search... It's worth a try and I am sorry I can't remember it.

Hope it works out for you... My a99 has been in repair since 11/17 and is waiting on parts so they offered to send a loaner which I refused as I didn't need one.

Viramati

Hi David
When you get the error message try turning the camera on off and on again very quickly and see if it works then. I had this error message on my first A7II when they first came out and it was an IBIS problem and by doing the quick off/on switch it started the camera without the IBIS function enabled. I know that this won't fix it but at least it would be usable without IBIS for an important shoot

dmward

Sony said there would be a couple of emails with instructions within an hour last night.
Just got back from the wedding shoot. Still no emails so I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.

I put both XT-1s along with 16-55 and 50-140 lenses into a bag for backup. Carried the bag around all day without having to open it. The A7RII worked without a problem, even when outside in the snow. Yes snow in Chicago before Thanksgiving. What a bummer.

Thanks for the suggestions about getting the A7II working, at least temporarily. At least I had some backup gear available. Don't know what I'd have done if I had sold the Fuji gear. It will go on the block next week though.

uhoh7

Personally, I would not update my firmware with important work pending. In fact, with Sonys or Leicas, I don't update it unless there are some features I think I really need.

I used to be more blasé about it, but stories like this and other issues make me ask: why am I doing this?

Unless I have a clear answer I don't.

TY very much for the post, as it reminds me of this policy :)

Hope you get it back quickly.

Really taking professional work without a backup body in the bag is pretty dicey.

dmward

With Canon and Fuji I never had a problem updating firmware. I always have two cameras, always the same model and update one, test it then update the second. I've done that since Canon 5D so probably 10 times over the years. Never a problem.

I updated the A7RII with its V2.0 without a problem. I want the uncompressed raw files and I also wanted the FDAF capability improvements so it seemed reasonable to do the update.

As I mentioned in another post. The camera worked as expected for a day while testing PDAF with all my Sony and Canon lenses. Then the next morning it showed the error.

I find it hard to explain how a firmware update will work for probably 200 exposures and then quit working. As someone mentioned it may be that its something completely unrelated.

Will be interesting to see what Sony reports.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just read there is a update for metabones ?47 for the A7II. I'm wondering if this threw the camera out of whack.

dmward

Guy,
I doubt it since the camera was working well with several different lenses for a lot of test images.

I did look into the lens opening on the A7II and the A7RII and the sensor on the A7II looks to be just a bit out of alignment. It looks tilted maybe 3 degrees higher on the right looking into the lens opening.

I noticed from the beginning that when the camera goes from showing live view to error state the live view image would jiggle a couple of times. That suggests that the IBIS was turning on and encountering a problem.

I'll update once I hear from Sony what the problem was and how it was resolved.

dmward

Got the email from Sony.
They already have one thing up on Canon.
With Canon, even if it was a warranty problem when it was sent to Canon Pro Service I had to pay shipping to them. They covered shipping on return.

Sony work order email included a pre-paid overnight label.

It went to FedEx today, we'll see how long it takes once it gets there.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Aaaand... my Canon lenses are PDAF-ing again :clap: (sounds risqué). A7II, v0.47. Well, only tried the 70-200/2.8v1 so far, but it works well at 200mm on stationary subjects. I'll try other lenses and subjects in motion and get back.

--Matt

Took the 70-200/2.8 and the 85/1.2v1 outside. Both worked quite well with PDAF - both with stationary objects and moving cars and runners. Here's with the 85/1.2 wide open.

Last edited: