The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on Sony Lenses for A7rII

cerett

I recently purchased an A7rII and Metabones IV adapter. While I primarily plan on using Canon lenses, I would like to purchase a Sony 16-35mm or 24-70mm. My primary interest is landscape. I would really appreciate some input on the overall quality of these lenses and how they compare to the Canon models. I will then decide on what to do. Thank you.

uhoh7

The 1635 is quite good....if you find a nice copy. The 2470 is OK but not much better than the much cheaper 2870.

All of these have quite alot of copy variations, so be sure you have the option to try and return. Check for decentering. :)

Annna T

I recently purchased an A7rII and Metabones IV adapter. While I primarily plan on using Canon lenses, I would like to purchase a Sony 16-35mm or 24-70mm. My primary interest is landscape. I would really appreciate some input on the overall quality of these lenses and how they compare to the Canon models. I will then decide on what to do. Thank you.
If you like ultra-wide, go with the 16-35mm, but beware that the long end after 24mm isn't as good as the short end; it is far from stellar at 35mm. So it won't really make and allround lens, unless you are shooting mostly 24mm and shorter.

I have been luckier with the 24-70mm than with the 16-35mm and I use the standard zoom quite often. Up to 60-65mm it is OK. The short end is better, as with the 16-35mm. But the A7r and A7r2 really shine with good primes.

V

Vivek

All of these have quite alot of copy variations, so be sure you have the option to try and return.
+1 to that.

The only ones that I have kept are the Sony 28/2 and the Zony 55/1.8.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
If you are going to need a 24-70 lens, the Canon 24-70 2.8/II is a better lens in my opinion in that it is a bit sharper, it is a full stop faster, but it is also more expensive.

I am basing this experience on the a7r as I just got my a7rII and no longer have the Sony 24-70 FE lens as I opted for the Canon.

gurtch

If you like ultra-wide, go with the 16-35mm, but beware that the long end after 24mm isn't as good as the short end; it is far from stellar at 35mm. So it won't really make and allround lens, unless you are shooting mostly 24mm and shorter.

I have been luckier with the 24-70mm than with the 16-35mm and I use the standard zoom quite often. Up to 60-65mm it is OK. The short end is better, as with the 16-35mm. But the A7r and A7r2 really shine with good primes.
I have the 16-35, and agree at 35mm it is not as sharp as the wide end (where I usually use it). However here is a shot I made at 35mm. I have sold quite a few 16"x24" prints, and the clients are more interested in the local color, composition, etc (made on Long Beach Island, NJ, last winter), than inspect the sharpness at a few inches from the print. I like the lens very much. I have made 20"x30" prints, no problem.
Best to all...
Dave in NJ
http://www.modernpictorials.com/bay images/BAY/D653 framed.jpg

dmward

I'm reasonably happy with my 16-35. I've done some comparisons at various focal lengths with other lenses I have.
I also have a Canon 16-35 F2.8 L II that I should try with the Metabones. First I'll have to get it back from a friend that borrowed it.

The Canon lenses along with the Metabones adapter are substantially larger than the Sony F4 FE lenses.

I have several Canon lenses that I use with the Metabones for special purposes. I prefer the native Sony lenses for general work.

cerett

Thank you. How many of you have relied solely on your Metabones adaptor for your Canon lenses and by-passed all Sony glass? If I were to purchase a Sony lens exclusively for landscape, what is the best choice out there (including primes)?

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Thank you. How many of you have relied solely on your Metabones adaptor for your Canon lenses and by-passed all Sony glass? If I were to purchase a Sony lens exclusively for landscape, what is the best choice out there (including primes)?
If you are going to use the a7rII for landscape the Batis 25 is one of the best choices out there. The other excellent choice which I use a great deal is the Canon 24 TSE which you need an adapter for. I use the Metabones IV and have used the 16-35, the 24 TSE, 24-70 and the 70-200. I tried the 300/2.8 but since that is used mainly for sports on my 1Dx i just shot it for fun on the Sony one day.

Intersting note on the 16-35 is that I found that I was shooting it mainly in the 24mm region so I stopped carrying it since I would primarily shoot the 24 TSE in that instance.

The Batis line of lenses are excellent, and the Loxia are supposedly excellent as well. I am looking at a Batis 25 thanks largely in part to the glowing recommendation of a few of the members on here that use it. I used to use the 25 ZE2.0 and got good results on the a7r, but for some reason, sold the lens.

Since you would shoot landscape, AF is probably not as paramount as I usually shoot all my landscape in MF anyway. Just my preferred workflow though. I shoot mainly landscape for my enjoyment and I find that my 24 TSE is mounted to my a7r the way my 40HR was always mounted to my Cambo WRS. It produces the best image quality out of my current stable of lenses.

dmward

That was my original intent when I got an A7R. I got the Metabones adapter and used it with my TSE lenses and also my 24 and 35mm primes all Manual Focus.

I was using a Fuji XT-1 and lenses for other work. Then when I got an A7II I also tried a couple of Sony lenses. That led to more Sony glass and deciding to sell the Fuji kit when the A7RII became available. I still have several Canon lenses but, except for the TSE lenses, I think they will all go on the block as well.

I have the Batis lenses and they are great. I also have the Sony 28mm F2.0 which is a great lens for the money. That will also go on the block just because I can't justify both and I prefer a little more field of view.