The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1R II

Pradeep

Another one from Botswana. Taken about 15-20 minutes after the sun had gone down under the horizon. The colors come out really vivid at this time. There were a lot of bugs in the air that can be seen at 100% (as 'dust spots'). I adjusted the colors a little, darkening the image a bit. I like the saturated look of the sky, I am told it is a typical 'American' thing and that Europeans are more into the subtle colors of nature. Anyway, I like it rich, bold and strong, so here it is, Sundowner in the Bush. All of us - 9 participants and two tour leaders.

GDPI_01-3.jpg

One of many lovely blonde staircases at the renovated, enlarged, and just reopened SF Museum of Modern Art.

They now offer the largest area for exhibiting photography in the United States.

Kirk

SFMOMAStairwayCol.jpg

The Ute

Just testing my new RX1R II.
1st shot.
It's serial # falls within the recall notice so I will likely be sending it in to be checked for light leaks.
I wonder if they will replace it, repair it, or just send it back as checked
OK ?
Anyone sent one in recently ?

Just testing my new RX1R II.
1st shot.
It's serial # falls within the recall notice so I will likely be sending it in to be checked for light leaks.
I wonder if they will replace it, repair it, or just send it back as checked
OK ?
Anyone sent one in recently ?
Hi,

You can test it yourself with a bright flashlight. Set a reasonably high ISO, keep the lens cap on, deploy the viewfinder and put the light next to the base of the viewfinder.

My guess is you will see light leakage in this test. In any case, if you are in the serial range and you call them, you will be advised to send the camera for replacement. That was my experience and the experience of others. I can't think of a reason not to get the replacement.

Matt

The Ute

Hi,

You can test it yourself with a bright flashlight. Set a reasonably high ISO, keep the lens cap on, deploy the viewfinder and put the light next to the base of the viewfinder.

My guess is you will see light leakage in this test. In any case, if you are in the serial range and you call them, you will be advised to send the camera for replacement. That was my experience and the experience of others. I can't think of a reason not to get the replacement.

Matt
Thank you Matt. Appreciate the response.
I sent it in. I'll see what happens.
I hope their policy is just to replace any of them in the serial # range.
If not I hope they do a thorough job of testing and/or repair.
How long did it take you to receive your replacement ?

Last edited:

Pradeep

Thank you Matt. Appreciate the response.
I sent it in. I'll see what happens.
I hope their policy is just to replace any of them in the serial # range.
If not I hope they do a thorough job of testing and/or repair.
How long did it take you to receive your replacement ?
They should replace it with an absolutely brand new unit including the box and accessories. Mine took just 5-6 business days to be at my door from the day I sent it. I live in New York, so your experience may be different.

The Ute

They should replace it with an absolutely brand new unit including the box and accessories. Mine took just 5-6 business days to be at my door from the day I sent it. I live in New York, so your experience may be different.
Thank you for your response.
Just curious.
Were you able to verify that you had a light leak before you sent it in ?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Nothing special. Just on my way to visit the cardiologist for a check up in Leiden (a nearby university town).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, Leiden

Pradeep

Thank you for your response.
Just curious.
Were you able to verify that you had a light leak before you sent it in ?
I should have, but did not. Mine was in the range that was supposedly affected. Ideally I should have tested it myself, but was not sure if it did not have the leak with my tests, it would mean that it was perfect or whether I did not test it enough. It is an expensive piece and I did not want to be caught later when it would be too late to exchange it.

The Ute

I should have, but did not. Mine was in the range that was supposedly affected. Ideally I should have tested it myself, but was not sure if it did not have the leak with my tests, it would mean that it was perfect or whether I did not test it enough. It is an expensive piece and I did not want to be caught later when it would be too late to exchange it.
Once again I thank you for your response.

V

Vivek

Thanks, K-H. :)

Interestingly, the heart muscles can regenerate after damage in many cases and luckily that appears to be happening in mine. :thumbup: