The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1R II

V

Vivek

I have an R2 to use for a while

I don't enjoy using it yet, but there is no doubt it will produce fine images :)
In fact, at 35mm FL, I have never seen anything better.
And first real Sony Raws I have ever seen, too.
Simply putting a distance scale on the lens, focus tab, natural throw, and the ability to start up and shut down without changing the focus....well RX1r2 would be in more bags I think with those simple tweaks. A camera you can zone, then just pick up and shoot, these are basics Mr Sony, and no AF can match them consistently. The rest is frosting ;)
AF here trumps any racketty old manual focus, zone or whatever. You just need good hand to eye coordination to press the shutter button at the right time in the continuous focus mode. Give it a while to get the old Leic techniques out of your system and learn to use the state of the art AF. No need to stop down as well. ;)

uhoh7

AF here trumps any racketty old manual focus, zone or whatever. You just need good hand to eye coordination to press the shutter button at the right time in the continuous focus mode. Give it a while to get the old Leic techniques out of your system and learn to use the state of the art AF. No need to stop down as well. ;)
LOL I used AF for years before about 2009. Of course maybe it's alot better now, but not simpler. But you are right, I need lots of practice :)

Nefarious Photographer by unoh7, on Flickr

My daughter got a snap of me when we learned eye-AF together. I thought it was a throw away because the original left side appeared totally blown, and with the same exposure on the M9 or A7, it would have been. But highlight recovery with the huge raws (uncompressed), is......well I never saw any image file where I could do what I did to the shot above. :)

I like lots of old lenses and new ones, most with M mounts, and my eye loves the optical finder on the M9. Its going to stay my main camera barring unforeseen event which would force me to sell it. But learning to use this tiny image factory for a time is good for me. :)

V

Vivek

Sure, Charlie, without a doubt the sensor is outstanding.

I just want to point out that the 2 finger operated eye AF is a manifestation of CDAF. It takes its own time.

Try to use the on sensor PDAF as much as possible.

The Metro grip improves the handling enormously. It is a must have.

uhoh7

Sure, Charlie, without a doubt the sensor is outstanding.

I just want to point out that the 2 finger operated eye AF is a manifestation of CDAF. It takes its own time.

Try to use the on sensor PDAF as much as possible.

The Metro grip improves the handling enormously. It is a must have.
I'm going to check out those great tips, thank you :)

PDAF is only in AF-C, correct?

DSC00704 by unoh7, on Flickr

uhoh7

Camera is growing on me, which is unfortunate because it is not mine :)

We all know it's real good WO, but it's no slouch at F11 either:

Plaque by unoh7, on Flickr

V

Vivek

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

The Hague

Lost my iphone yesterday. Glad it wasn't this camera or the A7 UV cam or the NEX-5N monochrome.

Any one of them would have been very costly! :bugeyes: