The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightweight and/or compact 135mm for A7R

biglouis

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight and/or compact 135mm or longer prime lens for use on a A7R (or A7S for that matter).

Lightweight is fairly key as my back problems are now so acute that I really can't lift monster lenses.

Does such a thing even exist?

I can just about use the FE 90/2.8 but a bit longer for some purposes would be good.

Thanks for advice.

LouisB

f6cvalkyrie

Louis, I am very happy with my Voigtlander Super-Dynarex 135/4 ... very compact and very light, while still excellent image quality, IMHO ...
I use it on my E-M1, a µ4/3 camera, but since it was developed to be on 35mm cameras, it should also work on your FF Sony ...
Mount adapters are easy to find on EBay ...

Good luck,
Rafael

If you don't mind ƒ4 and manual focus, the classic Leica 135mm Elmar M is very small (and very inexpensive). I regretted selling mine almost immediately.

Leica 135mm-7.jpg

f 10

a7r | Olympus Zuiko Auto-T 3,5/135 mm

I own that lens. It is so light, that you can always take it with you.

iiiNelson

Zeiss Contax Yashica 135/2.8. Surprising small and light for a SLR lenses of its focal length and speed.

biglouis

Louis, I am very happy with my Voigtlander Super-Dynarex 135/4 ... very compact and very light, while still excellent image quality, IMHO ...
I use it on my E-M1, a µ4/3 camera, but since it was developed to be on 35mm cameras, it should also work on your FF Sony ...
Mount adapters are easy to find on EBay ...

Good luck,
Rafael
Thanks, I will check it out. Dumb question this but what mount adapter would I need exactly?

If you don't mind ƒ4 and manual focus, the classic Leica 135mm Elmar M is very small (and very inexpensive). I regretted selling mine almost immediately.

View attachment 114537
Mike, did that work well on the A7R? It was a favourite of mine at one time... I maybe should have thought of that myself.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Zeiss Contax Yashica 135/2.8. Surprising small and light for a SLR lenses of its focal length and speed.
Again, apologies for the naive question but what mount adapter would I need? Is it straight Contax?

Many thanks for the responses. I should have stated I was only expecting to get a manual lens.

My problem is that while I like the 70-200 I just bought it is too big and heavy for me because of a recurring back problem. I think I am going to have to sell it but I would at least like a fixed length lens for 135-150, or even 200mm if it was small enough.

Thanks again

LouisB

frozenbb

It really depends on what you need it for, but I think the Minolta AF 135mm 2.8 is highly underrated, especially for portraits. It's sharp in the center wide open, though CA is a bit heavy at that aperture. F4 is the sweet spot for portraiture, and f8 for landscapes. It's got great contrast and a classic Minolta color signature.

Even with an la-ea4 the combination still weighs less than the CY 135 2.8. They don't call it the pocket rocket for nothing!

Here's a 100% crop at f4, though you would see basically the same at f2.8.

135 100-percent crop.jpg

Mike, did that work well on the A7R? It was a favourite of mine at one time... I maybe should have thought of that myself.
I sold it when I got rid of my Leicas. But it was a pretty good performer on the M9 and M240, so I imagine it would do well on any of the A7 family.

JMaher

I would love a lens in this category also. I did own the Minolta 135 2.8. It was fast to focus (with adapter) and very sharp. Unfortunately facing the sun it suffered from very low contrast. This was never a problem in other situations.

mark1958

I sold my Leica 135mm for the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 180mm f/4 SL. The lens is no longer made but it is extremely small and light for 180mm. Optically extremely sharp even wide open. You can find on eBay for 900 to 1200 dollars. I have the Nikon mount in case I want to use on the D810. A little bit of vignetting at f4. Not bad for an old lens in terms of CA. T

frozenbb

I would love a lens in this category also. I did own the Minolta 135 2.8. It was fast to focus (with adapter) and very sharp. Unfortunately facing the sun it suffered from very low contrast. This was never a problem in other situations.
A fare point - it's definitely showing its age in that regard. I just wish Sony (or someone) would release an updated e-mount version. Screw drive lenses are too noisy!

I used to have an old Canon ltm 135 f3.5. It was tack sharp throughout the frame, but in every other respect wasn't much fun to use. Still, it was great for landscapes...

Slingers

There's the Canon FD 135/2.8 as well to consider. It's 395g and 78mm. I've considered getting a manual 135mm as well but are waiting to see what's going to come out as surely it's going to be a focal length that's in a future lens announcement.

iiiNelson

Louis, Contax Yashica is the mount. No flex (and others) make adapters for them. The lens should cost in the $2-300 range tops in excellent or mint condition.

darrellc

The OM 135/3.5 can be had for cheap. I got one in like new condition and the original case from KEH for $65. I just sold it on FM for $55 - lens was good on an A7RII even wide open (with a bump in contrast at f5.6) but I just didn't get along with 135mm and decided to use the FE 70-200 in that range and get a small fast prime in the 85-100 range for travel light kit and portraiture.

The built in lens hood is nice particularly given the OM's propensity to flare.

Stefan Steib

Dito - this little Zuiko is very nice. All these lower f-stop Zuikos are little gems. Grab them as long as they are still cheap. Here is my little collection of
"tiny but shiny!"

Attachments

pegelli

I exchanged my Zuiko 135/3.5 (which was indeed very nice) for a Zuiko 135/2.8. Only slightly larger, also a built-in hood and slightly sharper/less CA vs. my copy of the 3.5. Might be down to sample variation so YMMV.

Eoin

You could also try the old EBC Fujinon T 135 in either 2.5 or 3.5. I have the fuji mount version with an adaptor for the A7 but they were also available in m42 mount. Plenty of threads on the net about them, fantastic value @ sub $100.
I just prefer the 100mm focal length and the C/Y Planar 100 f2 is my choice followed very closely by the lighter and slightly smaller C/Y Sonnar f3.5 which is also stunning.