The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dear Sony: I want Sensorshift Mulitshot - FW Upgradeable or as an app ?

ICHBINSpunktDE

I would even pay for an App, I would even pay substantially for such an app - e.g. 100 € or even 200 € ?
Sony do you listen: this should be easy. Please do it !
+1, great idea!

After the addition of uncompressed RAW, we might be out of free wishes for the A7II-Series (with or without S/R), but Sony... please, pretty please let us pay for it and make some good money out of cameras you have already sold ;-)

Stefan Steib

Hi Marc

I have no idea where you got your buffer numbers from - but here are the official data from the Sony tech specs (and I have no doubt until now they are correct)

Speed (approx., max.)[SUP]*2[/SUP]Continuous shooting Hi: Max. 5fps, Continuous shooting Lo: Max. 2.5fps
No. of recordable frames[SUP]*2[/SUP] = Buffer (approx.)Continuous shooting Hi: 24 frames (JPEG Extra Fine L), 30 frames (JPEG Fine L), 37 frames (JPEG Standard L), 23 frames (RAW), 22 frames (RAW & JPEG), 9 frames (RAW [Uncompressed]), 9 frames (RAW [Uncompressed] & JPEG)

Means even a 16 shot Raw (11+7) would be finished in 3,2 sec. and go to the buffer completely.
14 Bit mode will be sufficient for 8 shots.

Sony Global - Digital Imaging – ILCE-7RM2

for closeup lighting like Watches etc, there are now daylight LEDs with highpower output, smaller, cooler and cheaper than the old flash solutions.

Stefan Steib

Hi Vivek

with a proper implementation firmware and App, even supported by Play memories remote, I´d be more than happy to pay for such an App. definitely 100 €, maybe even 200 €.

Why not ?

Regards
Stefan

V

Vivek

Hi Stefan,

If it comes with a money back guarantee (30 day trail period) I will pay 1 Euro. If Sony get rid of the :cussing: playstation app site add another 199.

You are treating them way too seriously, I think. Even they aren't otherwise they will not have an app site that is only available for a few regions and that requires giving away a lot of your data (sony are not good at protecting their own data- it is very well known) in order buy them.

fotografz

Hi Marc

I have no idea where you got your buffer numbers from - but here are the official data from the Sony tech specs (and I have no doubt until now they are correct)

Speed (approx., max.)[SUP]*2[/SUP]Continuous shooting Hi: Max. 5fps, Continuous shooting Lo: Max. 2.5fps
No. of recordable frames[SUP]*2[/SUP] = Buffer (approx.)Continuous shooting Hi: 24 frames (JPEG Extra Fine L), 30 frames (JPEG Fine L), 37 frames (JPEG Standard L), 23 frames (RAW), 22 frames (RAW & JPEG), 9 frames (RAW [Uncompressed]), 9 frames (RAW [Uncompressed] & JPEG)

Means even a 16 shot Raw (11+7) would be finished in 3,2 sec. and go to the buffer completely.
14 Bit mode will be sufficient for 8 shots.

Sony Global - Digital Imaging – ILCE-7RM2

for closeup lighting like Watches etc, there are now daylight LEDs with highpower output, smaller, cooler and cheaper than the old flash solutions.
Read my post again Stephan, I never mentioned buffer limits, only the 5 FPS of the Sony in reference to timing the lighting most studios currently use. These MS cameras have to be locked down on a solid surface while precisely shifting the sensor at the pixel level ... which isn't the same as IBIS that stabilizes the sensor for hand-held work.

IF there are continuous cold lights that can use the range of modifiers needed for this sort of work and supply the level of light necessary to 1) overcome any residual ambient, 2) work with modifiers while shooting stopped down please provide a link, I'd like to check them out.

As I said, if and when such purely speculative technology may arrive, and the arguments in favor of that speculative technology become reality, that would be great ... in the meantime, it'd be nice if Sony fixed their current cameras without requiring us to buy a new one, and updated their interface from a video game mentality to a photography centric one.

- Marc

Quentin_Bargate

Would be a nice idea. Flash works with multishot medium format, but that's because those cameras, like the H5D200MS, are specifically designed with multishot in mind and fire the flash for each shift. Absolute rigidity is essential, or you get crazy artefacts.

I don't think its worth the hassle for Sony even if it could be implemented. The number of potential customers would be small - but I'd be one of them if they ever did it!

Dear Folks here is a german article by Traumflieger (with image samples comparing an EM5 II, Canon 5Dsr and a Sony A7r

the sensorshifted MFT chip really shines on 40 Mpix, can anybody imagine what would happen if the A7RII would do the same stuff - 80 to 100 Mpix in brilliant quality ?
I would even pay for an App, I would even pay substantially for such an app - e.g. 100 € or even 200 € ?

Sony do you listen: this should be easy. Please do it !

High Resolution: Vergleich Olympus EM5 II vs. EOS 5Ds / Sony A7R - Traumflieger.de
A Big +

mhespenheide

Changing topic: PhotoAcute?

Changing topics slightly, has anyone used the http://www.photoacute.com/ software? You're supposed to shoot multiple frames of the same image, and then it tries to calculate an improved resolution. Six shots seems to be the tipping point between needing too many frames and not seeing enough of an improvement, if I recall correctly.

I wonder whether the natural microscopic differences in position of the camera over six shots wouldn't give you something like a multishot sensor -- after all, when we're talking about moving a sensor one half of a pixel and each pixel is in the micron range to begin with, I'm suspicious that most people's camera/head/tripod/technique is not good enough to keep alignments that precise.

Thoughts?

(But yes, if Sony introduces multishot capability, either for cleaner color resolution or for an overall resolution bump, I'd want to check it out. Wouldn't it be like having a non-bayer sensor?)

Stefan Steib

there is a pretty good explanation of superresolution on this Petapixel article.

http://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/

Photoacute works pretty much the same with some additional features like HDR, bracketing usage and noise control settings.

But be prepared- for larger images , it takes some real CPUs and time.

And I still think , the efficiency of a controlled bayer repetiton for getting true colors per pixel would be the more interesting approach.

Brian Mosley

I still use PhotoAcute - such a shame the developers have deserted it, since I can't find a decent replacement!

Cheers

Brian

Stefan Steib

I still use PhotoAcute - such a shame the developers have deserted it, since I can't find a decent replacement!

Cheers

Brian
Even more so, a finished App (Android. iOS or win10) flanked by a firmware supporting this + a desktop application matching the files with a real CPU (which will be needed- for sure)
would be a real added value for the system. and I would easily pay up to 200 € for this (maybe more if the feature set would be right).

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

mhespenheide

...And I still think , the efficiency of a controlled bayer repetiton for getting true colors per pixel would be the more interesting approach.
Stefan, I agree with you in concept or theory. I still wonder how well most people, in the real world, are able to make sure that the positioning of their camera is precise to within ~2.25 microns ([SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] pixel of an a7r2). Indoors, in the studio, I'm willing to consider. But I suspect most people aren't that careful with their equipment and technique.

I'd sure like to try it, though!

ICHBINSpunktDE

I've placed the suggestion @ Sony Support, they told me they'll forward it to the appropriate department (whatever that is worth). I'm fully aware that my mail alone won't trigger a development like this, but if more of you guys do as i did... maybe, the Sony guys would think about showing Canons 50MP-5DSR their backside once more :toocool:

Stefan Steib

That´s good to hear !
I have contact to some of the Sony Ambassadors and already asked them to forward this.
Let´s see what happens.

Whereas I have a feeling...... this will be a feature of an Alpha 9R. Bigger body, bigger battery, USB3 bus and external, 4,4k Finder, bigger buffer
and some additional custom buttons ?

Dear Santa, I´ll be a nice boy - I promise ! :)

ICHBINSpunktDE

In the sony community, there's a section which is called "join the inspiration". You can post ideas there, and other people can "me too" them. At least I can say that I tried: click here
My hopes for this way are not too high, but it's the constant dripping that wears away the stone

If some of you guys already are registered or willing to register, you might "me too" it ;-)

dandrewk

Fred Miranda has made several posts regarding the Sony app. called "Smooth Reflections". It takes a series of exposures (up to 256!) and combines them into one RAW file. The purpose here is to smooth water reflections and clouds, the way we would do it using a long exposure and heavy ND filters. Apparently, it works astonishingly well and replaces the need for ND filters and their color casts.

A very nice side effect is this also increases resolution, similar to using a very low ISO. IIRC, he said it was similar to ISOs in the single digits.

Not quite the same as Sensorshift, but has a similar effect. Not bad for a $5 add on.

Brian Mosley

Yes, I must give this 'smooth reflections' a try, although it will need a solid tripod and no subject movement (other than water if present) to give best results.

I find PhotoAcute far more practical, given the excellent ability to deal with moving subject matter such that I can shoot multiple frames hand held.

Cheers

Brian

dandrewk

The "no subject movement" is a critical part of long exposures using ND filters as well.

PhotoAcute is intriguing, but they are very slow in supporting the newer Sony cameras, it costs $149 and requires extensive post processing.