The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1 Flash Question

JMaher

I trued using my (new to me) RX1 with some of my flash equipment. It works great with the Nissin Air Commander or the Nissin flash on camera. What doesn't work is triggering my Godox lights using their trigger. It seems from looking it over and a little research that the issue is the Multi Interface Shoe not allowing a good connection as it pushes the trigger out because of the limited depth. It has not been a problem on any of the A7 series I have owned.

From a little research it seemed that adding a Pixel 321 would fix that but after receiving one today it didn't work any better.

I was not really planning to use my GoDox light with this camera but its nice to have options.

Any experienced users out there? HELP!

Jim

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Jim, I only have the R1 II and I checked with a few manual flashes and a Nikon SC-29 chord. All sync at 1/2000s.

It is highly likely that you are not getting proper contact with your pixel thingy.

Try a an old Nikon extension chord.

JMaher

A little more research - apparently the RX1 and other early cameras with the Multi Interface Shoe had the flash rails a little wider than standard hot shoes and doesn't make good contact with all flashes or triggers. One suggestion I saw posted was to insert he trigger and then twist it slightly (left to right, etc so that it is very slightly angled) before locking it down. I tried that with the Godox trigger and it flashes every time. Not a perfect solution but it works. Sony must have corrected that by the time they got to the A7 series as I never had a problem with those cameras. In researching this was apparently a problem with the A99 as well and some say the A6000. From reading this seems to be a problem with some brands of triggers but not all.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting never heard of this. Good solution I wonder if you put some kind of shim in the shoe.