The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What filter system for the FE 16-35mm

Jim DE

I have used my 77mm Singh Ray's and 4"x6" gradients for just about everything landscape related for the past 8 year's. The 16-35 with the 77mm screw on filters and step up rings have corner issues till I get to 20mm or so then they are ok. Just wondering what others are using for their ND and polarizing needs with this lens. I have been away for the other filters so long that I really do not know which are considered good or bad any more.... I was a Singh Ray snob and thought anything not Singh Ray sucked since getting into them years ago :)

You all using the Lee 105 with this lens? I see lots written about this system and see them mounted on some Canon's and Nikon's I have seen at some locations (hard not to notice with all that red they have on the holders ;) )

I would hate to pay $640 for a Singh Ray trio in 82mm and it still have corner issues at below 20mm which I think is possible with as much as I see with my Vari ND at 77mm.

Jim DE

I guess I am showing my age still feeling certain filters are still essential for scenics ..........

Pipefish

I have used my 77mm Singh Ray's and 4"x6" gradients for just about everything landscape related for the past 8 year's. The 16-35 with the 77mm screw on filters and step up rings have corner issues till I get to 20mm or so then they are ok. Just wondering what others are using for their ND and polarizing needs with this lens. I have been away for the other filters so long that I really do not know which are considered good or bad any more.... I was a Singh Ray snob and thought anything not Singh Ray sucked since getting into them years ago :)

You all using the Lee 105 with this lens? I see lots written about this system and see them mounted on some Canon's and Nikon's I have seen at some locations (hard not to notice with all that red they have on the holders ;) )

I would hate to pay $640 for a Singh Ray trio in 82mm and it still have corner issues at below 20mm which I think is possible with as much as I see with my Vari ND at 77mm.
I'm using a Nisi ND32000 (15 stops) square filter plus a couple of GNDs and reverse GND with a Nisi holder. These are high-quality glass filters without a noticeable color cast unlike the Lees. It's a 150mm system that I use with my Canon 14mm 2.8L II. I'm sure 100mm will work fine with the FE 16-35 but I want to be able to use what I have now. Filters work perfectly.

Massimo

Jim,

I regularly use a 72mm Kenko PRO1 D Wide Band C-PL(W) with my FE 16-35 and never have corner issues at 16mm, beside the inevitable slight falloff inherent to such a wide angle lens.
My Heliopan Digital ES 72 ND 3.0 works well too, although the light falloff is more severe, but nothing like a hard vignette - I can easily correct for it in PP.
I also occasionally mount a 77mm Formatt Hitech Firecrest slim IRND 16 stop filter via a 72-77mm Heliopan step-up ring (solid brass, very high quality) and do not see any hard vignetting even at 16mm.
Summing up, I'd say that sticking to screw on filters you should be able to avoid (significant) corner problems with your FE 16-35 lens ... and all the above filters can be had for less than $640.

Bob Parsons

I'm late to the party - as usual :D. I use the 100mm Lee Foundation System with the FE f4.0 16-35mm and A7RII without problems at 16mm. With two filter slots for rectangular ND grads (not the three originally supplied with the holder) I can add the 72mm wide angle adapter ring, mounting plate for the Wide Angle Bellows Lens Hood, threaded mounting ring for the Lee 105mm "Landscape" polarizing filter and the polarizer without any corner cut off when focussed at infinity and smallest aperture. The only annoying thing is with the bellows/holder combination I have to take that apart (4 screws) and rotate the bellows by 90 degrees to change from landscape to portrait. You also need to drill out 4 more mounting holes rotated 90 degrees from the existing ones. Without the bellows hood you don't have that problem.

The total combination may be sufficiently close to vignetting such that variations in 16mm focal length, centring of the sensor and IBIS setup could begin to show problems although I've not experienced any.

Bob.

Last edited:

Bob Parsons

Hopefully you would be able to use your existing 8 year old 4"x6" gradients with the Lee 100mm Foundation System. You can purchase spacers which allow you to use 4mm thick grads rather than 2mm ones if that's needed.

You only need to drill out the additional 4 holes in the bellows hood plate if you want to use ND grads in vertical portrait orientation and use the hood. With the hood pulled back, ie. not used, you can just rotate the holder/hood 90 degrees and don't need the 4 additional holes.

Bob.