The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New FF E-Mount Lenses Announced...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure myself. The only thing is you could go cheap and small but why even bother when you got a 42 mpx monster begging for the best money can buy. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

pegelli

I think the 75 and 90's might be interesting for folks who don't want to break the bank, but still want a new longer f/l lens for their E-mount body.
Not everybody is immediately jumping at the A7RII and A7SII either and going for a first series A7 or A7II (hard to imagine if you look around on getDPI ;) )

The shorter and normal focal length are indeed a bit "meh".
But I'm looking forward to some real life tests of all these lenses once they come out

On the other hand there's plenty of old MF glass in that area that costs a fraction of these new ones so I wonder how well they will sell.

iiiNelson

Got plenty MF lenses already. What's the business case here ?
Not sure but I just saw it online. Not really my cup of tea but if they perform they're a good option for some that can't or won't pay $1K+ for lenses.

Knorp

Not sure but I just saw it online. Not really my cup of tea but if they perform they're a good option for some that can't or won't pay $1K+ for lenses.
Agreed - now I could be wrong here, but don't we actually like to see affordable AF lenses ?

iiiNelson

Agreed - now I could be wrong here, but don't we actually like to see affordable AF lenses ?
For some yeah. I have some of both but I often find myself manually focusing the AF lenses too. This is particularly true in lowlight situations.

ggibson

I can see a reason for the 75 and 90 at this point, but not so much the others. The 75 fills a focal length gap in the lineup (if you want the kind of in-between, short tele length). The 90mm is a bit faster at f2.4 than the AF macro lens, and it's smaller & less expensive than both the 90 Macro and 85 Batis. The other lenses all seem to have more compelling alternatives in the Sony or Zeiss lineups. Price may be their only reason for existing.

If they're excellent performance, I could see myself getting the small 90 for my hiking kit. The 24 is not bad either since it's a little faster than 2.8 and small. 2/3 stops less than the Batis but much smaller... the rest? Well, I guess there will always be someone who value small size above all else.

KenLee

Any further news/experience with these lenses ?

I'm attracted to the form factor and price: a small affordable high-quality 90mm prime lens would be welcome.

Thanks !

iiiNelson

Any further news/experience with these lenses ?

I'm attracted to the form factor and price: a small affordable high-quality 90mm prime lens would be welcome.

Thanks !
Still says available for preorder on B&H. I know that the Leica M models have shipped in limited quantity so maybe these will ship soon.