The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the choice of adapting a lens over Canon or Nikon mount - which one?

seb

I'm coming back to this review once a week. For me, it's exactly like Guy wrote: 35/2.8 too slow, 35/1.4 too big/heavy and 35/2 loxia only MF... And the review looks like tamron closes this gap.
The price was around 1000$ in my country, but I can get it now for around 650$ with all warranties. So, I'm on the fence to buy it.

But which mount? I never used one of these two brands. So, I have the choice and want to make the best out of it. I think, there is no difference for this particular lens, but maybe the adaptor... I would be glad, about your help, with my following questions:

What adaptor should I take?

It's a stupid question, but are there some other unique lenses (e.g. Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8) or a general "better quality on all lenses", that it is worth, to go the canon or the nikon way?

And a last question to Guy: You're still pleased with the tamron 35/1.8? Or did you find some issues? Or recommend an other now?

Thanks for your reading and your suggestions!
Seb

Annna T

I'm coming back to this review once a week. For me, it's exactly like Guy wrote: 35/2.8 too slow, 35/1.4 too big/heavy and 35/2 loxia only MF... And the review looks like tamron closes this gap.
The price was around 1000$ in my country, but I can get it now for around 650$ with all warranties. So, I'm on the fence to buy it.

But which mount? I never used one of these two brands. So, I have the choice and want to make the best out of it. I think, there is no difference for this particular lens, but maybe the adaptor... I would be glad, about your help, with my following questions:

What adaptor should I take?

It's a stupid question, but are there some other unique lenses (e.g. Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8) or a general "better quality on all lenses", that it is worth, to go the canon or the nikon way?

And a last question to Guy: You're still pleased with the tamron 35/1.8? Or did you find some issues? Or recommend an other now?

Thanks for your reading and your suggestions!
Seb
Go for a Canon mount : the Metabones Smart adapter v. IV works very well and that mount has a shorter flange distance/register and can be mounted on many bodies. Plus Once you get that adapter you will have access to a lot of other good lenses, including second hand lenses. Beware that Canon lenses don't have an aperture ring, so you need a smart adapter which is rather costly (450.CHF at Digifuchs).

Canon has very good TSE lenses (aka lenses allowing tilt and shift). They are also famous for their fast long zoom (weighting a ton) used by sport and wildlife photographers. They have a remarkable 135mm F2 and a 100mm F2.8 macro that are highly reguarded, plus a standard 24-70mm F2.8 (but the lenses can get heavy).

I have read that a smart adapter is just issued for Nikon mount. Earlier only MF was available for Nikon mount. And Nikon lenses are complicated to understand : there are different series Ai Ais FX DX and what not. All can be physically mounted in all Nikon bodies, but not all are offering all the functions available in a modern body. Add an adapter and it get even more complicated. (Nikon users will be better informed and may chime in).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mine is for sale on the buy and sell now. Decided to go back to to the Sony 35 1.4. It's a great lens but I want eye AF and I want native mount but I'm paying a lot more money for not much more quality if any or I'm getting a RX II but I need a lot more money to do that. I also have the Metabones IV and Canon 135 F2 as well

seb

Mine is for sale on the buy and sell now. Decided to go back to to the Sony 35 1.4. It's a great lens but I want eye AF and I want native mount but I'm paying a lot more money for not much more quality if any or I'm getting a RX II but I need a lot more money to do that. I also have the Metabones IV and Canon 135 F2 as well
Guy, sometimes you're making my life really complicated... :) I prefer the native character (with it's advantages) of the Sony 35/1.4 too...

Annna, merci! :) This is actually the information I needed. Greetings to the Wallis!

As some rumour sites expect some new native lenses be announced soon, I'll wait until then. Is there a hole left in my wishlist, that I can fill with a canon lens, I'll go for the tamron. So I have the adapter already and a great 35mm.

Thanks a lot!
Seb

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Guy, sometimes you're making my life really complicated... :) Thanks a lot!

Seb
It was much worse when he shot MF. He cost a lot more members on here a great deal more money (myself included) :grin:

Last edited:

seb

It was much worse when he shot MF. He cost a lot more members on her a great deal more money (myself included) :grin:
I am a frequent visitor of this forum for a few months now and I'm sad, it isn't longer. Even I would lost some money on Guys wise words. :)