The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 21mm Loxia

Barry Haines

First time I have started a dedicated thread but I think this lens deserves it :)

Just a quick size comparison for those who may be interested...The title explains the lenses involved.

Apologies for late response and the not so good photography (camera shake etc...) as I’m pretty rushed off my feet at the moment...I promise to do better later on :D Hopefully the weather will be better also!
But it does give you some idea of the size of the 21mm Loxia against these other Sony lenses...If your bag can accommodate a Sony 70-200mm then you should be fine with a 55mm FE and 21mm Loxia back to back (The Lens Flipper is very slightly longer than 2 Sony rear lens caps back to back...But I like it because it’s lockable and it’s all in one piece and won’t become unglued...It’s very slightly heavier also than 2 Sony rear caps)

My quick tests confirm the 21mm Loxia lens is indeed a very, very SHARP lens and the corners are truly excellent (IMHO noticeably sharper than the 16-35mm at 21mm FL but then you would expect that of a prime Zeiss lens!)
The lens balances very nicely on the A7RII and very happy so far...For landscape photography setting the hyperfocal distance at F5.6 for infinity images inclusive is probably going to prove trickier to precisely find because of the short focus throw than let’s say using a Batis 25mm with it’s OLED DoF display.
I must admit I’m not a great lover of the way the lens hood attaches on or off but that could be me!

I purchased mine also from LCE London Camera Exchange (Speak to Dave at the Colchester Branch very helpful and friendly chap) and was first on their waiting list (I cancelled my earlier Pre-order and then Prepaid in full and managed to wangle a further 10% discount for “Black Friday” ...Not sure if they have any more in stock but I suspect not :(

Hope this helps...Cheers Barry

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I want, I lust , I need and I'm first on my dealers list. Lol

Gotta love the size

BTW I'm on my third FE 35 1.4. I bought two with asymmetry issues finally went to local store first lens tried same thing, second lens seems to be a winner.

Hate to say it but do not buy this lens unless you can test it in store or return it.

It's a buy 3 return 2 type of lens. Now I had the same issues with the Sigma 35 ART lens I went through 3 of them. So this kind of stuff is out there.

But also I have bought several Loxia lenses and Batis lenses with no issues at all. I expect this 21 to be a first and last purchase of it.

I also expect this lens to be extremely high demand. Get your order in. Here in the US we won't see this till January in our hands. Our international friends got the jump on us here. Enjoy it folks and yes we are jealous. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Barry I am so looking forward to your wonderful talent in showing us this lens. Get out there and shoot.

k-hawinkler

Barry, thanks. How do you like the way the lens handles?
That seems to be the only criticism I have seen so far.

Viramati

Well more testing is going to be needed which is hard in London at the moment this morning was so bad and I only managed a few shots yesterday.
As for handling it is a real shame that the focus throw on the lens is so short from the 2m to infinity stop with no further distance markings as this makes zone focussing of any mid distance object very difficult. Why they have done it this way I don't know but I would have preferred marking and a focus-throw similar to the ZM version though I am sure I will get used to it and may add some markings myself. On a plus note it would appear that the infinity stop is an infinity stop unlike the other Loxia's.
I don't mind the way the hood attaches and it can even be reversed and you can still access the focus ring (unlike the 50 Loxia)

Waterloo Bridge by Viramati, on Flickr

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Barry, thanks. How do you like the way the lens handles?
That seems to be the only criticism I have seen so far.
Apologies again for late response, I have only just got back home + I will be going out again in a short while. We are experiencing heavy rain together with fog and it couldn’t be a worse time for trying out a new lens :(

First of all I would describe myself as being a bit of a Zeiss fanboy nowadays, so I don’t really want to knock this lens but David is bang on the nail with his quick take above, although further testing is still required and a bit more time getting accustomed to it would be the fair thing to do ;)
Most people that are probably going to buy this lens will want to be using it somewhere between 2m and infinity where the focus travel is extremely short, with no markings in between...This in turn makes accurate zone focusing a bit awkward to say the least! ...It travels right up to infinity and not beyond so that’s great just as David said also.

Unlike you Guy I have not had a Loxia lens before so I don’t really know if this is normal or not...The hood has an internal finish that I would describe as being like a very fine velvet material for dull matting to help prevent flare (It’s typical of what I have seen on cameras in the past)...This is an absolute dust/lint magnet for when you dry off your lens after a heavy rain shower which is exactly what I have just experienced :(....The Sony hoods use what I would describe as internal matt rubber finish which is a lot better IMHO. Also the alignment mark on the Loxia hood is on the inside...ehhh!!!...But that is easily overcome by aligning either of the 2 Zeiss blue badges on the outside of the hood, that way you can have the option of placing that distracting Loxia 2.8/21 writing on the underside :D
As read on another review I would also agree that the aperture ring is tight to the body and close to the focussing ring (same knurling pitch which is hard to differentiate when you are concentrating looking through the EVF) this can easily get knocked out of position when focussing especially if you have big hands.

The few short tests I did this morning proved to me that this lens is well capable of producing stunning images and the smaller size and reduced weight over a 21mm Milvus is very welcome indeed.
The build quality is solid and reassuring like the MF ZM/ZF.2 mount lens ranges, the focus ring is buttery smooth as we have now taken for granted on Zeiss MF lenses and the aperture ring clicks nicely and firmly...Better than my WATE and 50mm Asph Summilux did.

Packaging is a lot better than the Sony and ZM lenses.

Just rereading what I have written it might come over that I’m disgruntled with this lens...I’m most definitely not!!! Everybody here wants the truth at the end of the day so I called it as I saw it...The lens is a keeper and I’m very happy....But I will just add without trying to damage Zeiss sales or destroying everybody’s lust factor here that if I already owned a Batis 25mm, especially with a few reports of it being a bit wider than the reputed 25mm FL that it is supposed to be, I would think twice about having this 21mm Loxia as well...Hope this helps...Cheers Barry

Jim DE

Oh come on Barry ;) you know you pulled your finger out of the lust dike hole with this thread. Anytime a new Zeiss lens is mentioned the panting and slobbering begins till the site is full of frothing e mount buyers ;)

I need a towel.. Hope it is everything you expected it to be!

Barry Haines

Oh come on Barry ;) you know you pulled your finger out of the lust dike hole with this thread. Anytime a new Zeiss lens is mentioned the panting and slobbering begins till the site is full of frothing e mount buyers ;)

I need a towel.. Hope it is everything you expected it to be!
Thanks for that Jim...It is :D

Actually it was a 60th birthday present from the wife...I had absolutely zero interest in this lens whatsoever :toocool: but she insisted - What was I supposed to do!!! :ROTFL:
I’m now stuck with it I suppose; I can’t even give it away for free (she would know if I didn’t use it from time to time)...dam.........................................What’s a lust dike hole?

The weather here as said before has been awful today but I did manage to snap off a couple for you all slobbering Zeiss fanboys.
Please don’t read too much into any of these as they are just snaps of anything I could find, mostly handheld long exposures (1/4 sec and a 1/3 sec) SOOC’s...When the weather picks up so will the images :)

ENLARGEMENT

ENLARGEMENT

ENLARGEMENT

Merry Xmas everybody...I hope you all have a good one and Santa does you proud...Cheers Barry

ENLARGEMENT

PS. Many thanks Guy, I’m glad you stuck with it and got yourself a good one in the end...The Sony 35mm F1.4 Distagon is a fantastic lens.

Guy Mancuso

Having the Batis 25 and VC 15 I'm still in mental debate this is darn close to a 25 focal length

Barry Haines

Having the Batis 25 and VC 15 I'm still in mental debate this is darn close to a 25 focal length
I spent ages debating between the two of them (21mm and 25mm)...A 23mm lens would have been the perfect lens for me, it would have sat centrally between the 35mm and 15mm in terms of AoV...I'm sure Zeiss are only to aware what a dilemma they make for us all...I guess they just hope that we buy both of them at the end of the day...perhaps we will.

Guy Mancuso

I'm leaning on buying it but if it was 18 it would have been better for me. I still have options maybe if the rumored Sony announcement 1/5 proves to be of any value to us. I'm afraid though super wides may not be announced.

Barry Haines

A Loxia 18mm FL would have been an excellent match to go with your 25mm Batis...That might have then possibly put a question mark over your Voigtlander 15mm...But with the Spring launch of the 10mm and 12mm Voigtlanders you could have a super duper superwide :grin:
...10/12mm + 18mm + 25mm + 35mm + 55mm + 85mm + .........
We are totally spoilt for choice now...It's late here so I'm going to get some :sleep:
Chat later...Cheers Barry

Annna T

I spent ages debating between the two of them (21mm and 25mm)...A 23mm lens would have been the perfect lens for me, it would have sat centrally between the 35mm and 15mm in terms of AoV...I'm sure Zeiss are only to aware what a dilemma they make for us all...I guess they just hope that we buy both of them at the end of the day...perhaps we will.
If we buy both then we have the same dilemma each time we pack our photo bag!
At least if we go for a light three lenses bag.

seb

... if I already owned a Batis 25mm, especially with a few reports of it being a bit wider than the reputed 25mm FL that it is supposed to be, I would think twice about having this 21mm Loxia as well...Hope this helps...Cheers Barry
Thank you for your impressions and those from dave. To your last sentence: It helps not! :) I own the 28/2 and was thinking to add the loxia. So I can get rid of my desire to buy the batis... But now I read your words and want to buy the batis instead of the loxia. Hehe, I think I need to rethink my wide angle prime strategy or just test the loxia in a store as soon as they are available here.

Barry Haines

If we buy both then we have the same dilemma each time we pack our photo bag!
At least if we go for a light three lenses bag.
Hi Annna...A light 3 lens bag would mean a different choice of lenses for different folks...I agree, I don't ever envisage choosing a 21mm and 25mm both at the same time if I was restricted to only 3 lenses for the day, it would be one or the other.
I personally like a choice of prime lenses and to alternate them for whatever I intend to shoot for the day...Besides I'm more a 4 lens bag for the day type person...21/35/55/90mm which is perfect for me 95% of the time :)
These 4 lenses have a very nice seperation in terms of AoV which makes it clear straight away in my head which lens I'm going to spring for.
The 21mm MF and 25mm AF lenses although being close in FL are so different to use from one another + They both have their own particular signature
My comment was aimed at Guy, knowing full well that he wants prime lenses best in class to cover his gigs at many different FL's, I cannot see the day when just 3 lenses will have him satisfied...can you? :ROTFL:

Thank you for your impressions and those from dave. To your last sentence: It helps not! :) I own the 28/2 and was thinking to add the loxia. So I can get rid of my desire to buy the batis... But now I read your words and want to buy the batis instead of the loxia. Hehe, I think I need to rethink my wide angle prime strategy or just test the loxia in a store as soon as they are available here.
seb...I'm not helping now when I say that the 21mm lens is killer good...I think I dwelt to long on the bad side of this lens...It's like imdb, if you only read the reviews of who hated a film you would never go to the cinema.
I was just trying to be honest and come over a little less enthusastic than what I have been in the past when a new lens comes out...The 21mm lens delivers the goods be rest assured, it will just take a bit of time to get acquainted to it.
If I already had the 28mm and was keeping it, I would personally choose the 21mm Loxia over the 25mm Batis...now you are really :confused:

I would love to take some more pics for you all (especially with the sun out)...But the weather here is at it's worse today...The obvious thing would be to shoot some indoor scenes, but I live in the country where the nearest mall is 40 miles away...I will try and think something up!

The Ute

Sorry Barry.
Not gonna take a manual focus lens of over an equally good AF one.
I'll stick w the Batis.

jim251

Great thread, Barry. Your contribution is much appreciated...

I ordered the Loxia 21 on day one so it shouldn't be too awfully much longer now. I wasn't sure that I'd actually take it but given the zeiss demand/supply imbalances I thought it wise to get in the queue at the top. Looks like it'll be a go...

Your 21/35/55/90mm setup is a dream kit to many. Very versatile in total and very compact for various configs of a 2-lens go-kit. What bag are you using for that setup? Still happy with your FE90?

BTW I recognize your table from the Royal Doulton pic! LOL...

Barry Haines

Great thread, Barry. Your contribution is much appreciated...

I ordered the Loxia 21 on day one so it shouldn't be too awfully much longer now. I wasn't sure that I'd actually take it but given the zeiss demand/supply imbalances I thought it wise to get in the queue at the top. Looks like it'll be a go...

Your 21/35/55/90mm setup is a dream kit to many. Very versatile in total and very compact for various configs of a 2-lens go-kit. What bag are you using for that setup? Still happy with your FE90?

BTW I recognize your table from the Royal Doulton pic! LOL...
Thanks Jim, I think in all honesty you can't go wrong with either the Batis 25mm or the Loxia 21mm...both are great lenses for sure...Guy, Ute and others are turning out some amazing quality from their 25mm Batis lenses :thumbup:

Re: The 21mm Loxia, I have been very finely tuning the focussing hyperfocal point for infinity landscape photography to keep everything looking sharp and it's looking good...If I can just get a break with the weather I will go out and shoot something...with a camera that is!

Yes, extremely happy with the Sony 90mm FE lens together with the 55mm FE and 35mm FE Distagon...The Fab 3 I call them :)

I'm still using a cheapo bag/s which will probably get replaced later on when my lens selection is finally all settled out...Having said that the bag is pretty lightweight durable and looks like new after all it's been through...which is from me falling into a pile of seaweed to slipping down the sides of cliffs.

Here are the links...I can get the 4 lenses (21/35/55/90) with camera squeezed into the larger bag with hoods on and not reversed...The smaller bag will take the 70-200mm together with the 16-35mm and sits in the boot of the car

Benro Smart 30 (larger)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benro-Smart...id=1450357902&sr=1-4&keywords=benro+smart+bag

Benro Smart 20 (smaller)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benro-Smart...id=1450357902&sr=1-2&keywords=benro+smart+bag

Hopefully your 21mm Loxia will turn up soon and your weather will be good to boot...Look forward to seeing your images when it arrives...Cheers Barry

PS>>>>Yes, well spotted Jim. I use that sideboard for just about everything including ebay sales....I'm going out now in search of a break in the clouds...Chat later

seb

seb...I'm not helping now when I say that the 21mm lens is killer good...I think I dwelt to long on the bad side of this lens...It's like imdb, if you only read the reviews of who hated a film you would never go to the cinema.
I was just trying to be honest and come over a little less enthusastic than what I have been in the past when a new lens comes out...The 21mm lens delivers the goods be rest assured, it will just take a bit of time to get acquainted to it.
If I already had the 28mm and was keeping it, I would personally choose the 21mm Loxia over the 25mm Batis...now you are really :confused
You are helping with your posts. :)
My BIG plan is to own a 21/2 Loxia, because I like the 28/2 and want to keep it. I like the focal length and the character of the lens. But still, the 25 batis looks like a beautiful lens, that is hard to ignore. :)

Thanks, and I pray for some better weather in England. So you can share more pictures with us!

Guy Mancuso

Being a long time Pro in the past many shooters would use sort of a gapping system when buying lenses. It still holds today but of course you can do what you want. Problem I found was you wind up buying and selling to make things fit. A 21mm lens as it always has fits into having your 50mm being your lens cap lens. So 15,21,28,50,90 was your standard but 35mm lens cap lens folks (ME) we would go 18,24/25,35,75/85. So for me having the 15,25 this is hard to fit into that gap. But being a manual lens you could make a kit of just small manual lenses to. Mental debate but I got time to decide