The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PlayMemories SKY HDR App

V

Vivek

Sony lists the A7R (along with all A7 series cams + more) as one that is compatible with this app.

scho

Sony lists the A7R (along with all A7 series cams + more) as one that is compatible with this app.
Yes, but installation does not work. Tried both from in-camera and via computer. I really dislike Sony's approach to add on software, better that it be included via firmware update.

Annna T

Yes, but installation does not work. Tried both from in-camera and via computer. I really dislike Sony's approach to add on software, better that it be included via firmware update.
Sony advice in case of problems is to use Explorer on the PC and Safari on the Macs, because those are the tested softwares. Also it's not the first time that I see Mac owners encountering communication's problems with Sony apps or firmware updates. Sony also says that Mac owners should make sure that the USB connection is set to the mass storage mode if they encounter problems.

Or may be their servers are just overloaded. Plus if you read their notifications, their servers seem to encounter problems quite often.

Btw, I haven't booted my PC yet and I'm not yet sure whether I want to buy that app. So I'm just telling what I read this afternoon about it.

V

Vivek

Carl, I agree that should be the case (except for Stefan and spunked who would pay Sony :grin:).

I would be happy if the playstation site itself is gone. I can't buy any as I refuse to deposit my CC info with Sony who are proven to be vulnerable to hacking even by North Korea with limited internet connection!

V

Vivek

Doesn't this just look like total amateur crapware?
That "story" on "alpha universe' claiming how for US $10, at a fraction of a price of real grad filters, one can achieve the effects using this fakeware- you are not buying it?

Knorp

Sony advice in case of problems is to use Explorer on the PC and Safari on the Macs, because those are the tested softwares. Also it's not the first time that I see Mac owners encountering communication's problems with Sony apps or firmware updates. Sony also says that Mac owners should make sure that the USB connection is set to the mass storage mode if they encounter problems.

Or may be their servers are just overloaded. Plus if you read their notifications, their servers seem to encounter problems quite often.

Btw, I haven't booted my PC yet and I'm not yet sure whether I want to buy that app. So I'm just telling what I read this afternoon about it.
I've never been able to get my A7R2 recognised by PlayMemories over USB.
Tried all USB mode options, but to no avail.
However, I did work when I still had my A7R ...

Any Mac owner more lucky ?

scho

I've never been able to get my A7R2 recognised by PlayMemories over USB.
Tried all USB mode options, but to no avail.
However, I did work when I still had my A7R ...

Any Mac owner more lucky ?
No, never been able to connect via USB on my MBA. I have been able to download other apps in-camera via WIFI, but this new one is just not downloading after purchase has been completed. I called Sony support and they said try again tomorrow so I assume they are having server problems.

Knorp

No, never been able to connect via USB on my MBA. I have been able to download other apps in-camera via WIFI, but this new one is just not downloading after purchase has been completed. I called Sony support and they said try again tomorrow so I assume they are having server problems.
Checking the 'Tested Environments' it explains a lot ... :scry:

Attachments

scho

Well now I'm feeling stupid :face smack: The problem was my CC on file with Sony was outdated, but there was no warning or error message to alert me about the transaction problem - no warnings or error messages -nothing. I updated my card settings online and got the app downloaded OK (in camera). The USB download connection still does not work with Sony's web site on my computer. I'll try this little app tomorrow and see what it can do.

Bob Parsons

Well now I'm feeling stupid :face smack: The problem was my CC on file with Sony was outdated...........
LOL I've just checked my account and found the same problem, the card # has not changed but the expiry date was more than one year ago. With no error messages it would have taken me ages to solve - Thank you.

Bob.

Jose Viegas

I don't think so Tim but will test it out this weekend. Has some interesting features especially the ability to save the set up. We should encourage this kind of development.
Of course. It's that kind of thing that no one has and then Sony makes it and it works in RAW, and yet some don't appreciate it.

Knorp

Of course. It's that kind of thing that no one has and then Sony makes it and it works in RAW, and yet some don't appreciate it.
Indeed, I was rather surprised to read remarks as 'crapware' and 'fakeware'. C'mon guys, give Sony a break ... :LOL:
Anyway, it still begs the question: is it any good ?

ICHBINSpunktDE

Bought it. Would love to test it, some ruptured ligaments and tendons in my left foot keep me from doing it. Damn, should not have skipped the last step of the stairs last saturday... should have listened to a wise man who said 'go slowly, it's urgent!'

So, before some of you bash Sony for taking money or the app in gerneral without trying it, consider some things first:

• the app itself is cheaper than any 100mm square filter holder, adapter ring or filter
  • many of you guys have two or more cameras... you just have to spend the money once, actual GND-Filters on the other side, can only be present in front of one lens at a time
  • even the best filters mess bigger than zero with your optical path, this app doesn't
  • you can adjust how hard the edge should be in camera
  • you can adjust the number of f-stops in camera
  • you can WB both areas seperately in camera
  • you're going home with one RAW file if I understood this correctly, not dozens of HDR-to-be-files you don't HDR at all, at the end of the day
  • as long as your cameras are supported, it's kind of universal. Even filter-repellant lenses like the 2.8/14-24mm Nikkor, the 4/11-24mm Canon L, the 2.8/15-30mm Tamron, the 2.8/14mm Rokinon/Samyang... you name them, not a problem at all.
  • filter holder, adapter rings, filters plus cases and bags - they're all packing some weight to carry around. This app doesn't
  • slot-in-filters get as large as 150x200mm
  • combining a GND filterwith a polarizer isn't always fun and games. Now you just put a CPL in front of your lens, or maybe even between the lens and the camera (waiting for my DEO OWL adapter)

Maybe uncompressed RAW might later be added for the A7II*, you don't know how far the development of this app was at the time, that Sony decided to fw-upgrade their cameras.

V

Vivek

Indeed, I was rather surprised to read remarks as 'crapware' and 'fakeware'. C'mon guys, give Sony a break ... :LOL:
Still waiting for that FW update they said they will be rolling out for the A7/7R/7S.

scho

Still waiting for that FW update they said they will be rolling out for the A7/7R/7S.
I have the feeling that the original A7x series is no longer being considered for updates containing new features. :(