The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PlayMemories SKY HDR App

scho

First try using the Sky HDR App in the A7R-FS and FE28/2 with CC filter. Freezing cold north wind blowing down the lake and heavy overcast made for poor conditions to use this app. I made two images using the Blue Sky and Sunset presets (there is also a an ND gradient preset and you can also make and save custom presets). A bit fiddly adjusting the settings for the shots, but I was cold and impatient so might be better after using a few times in better weather. Basically you just select one of the presets, frame the shot, adjust exposure, WB, and ISO for the foreground (land area), then press the SKY SET button (trash button on the A7R), make adjustments again for exposure, WB, ISO and adjust boundary line position and overlap. Finally, press shutter button once and two exposures will be taken and merged. A preview will be displayed and you have the option of saving or making further adjustments of boundary position and overlap before saving the final image. I shot in raw mode and you must select this mode first in the app menu, as settings made outside of the app do not apply. There are other options for rotating the boundary line and image orientation that I have not played with yet. I just set the boundary line at the horizon on the lake, with about 15 units overlap, +0.7 and +1.0 EV for land and 0 EV adjustment for sky. It is nice being able to make refined adjustments using the preview before saving the final composite raw image. If we should be so fortunate to have some sun in the near future I'll give this another try.

Blue Sky Mode

Sunset Mode

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I have the feeling that the original A7x series is no longer being considered for updates containing new features. :(
Carl, if they do not deliver it then it is less money spent on them. :)

I have put a freeze on their A7 cam purchase.

scho

Another attempt with the SKY HDR app. Same setup as before with A7R-FS FE28/2 CC.

Straight shot from camera raw, with no effects.

SKY HDR shot (raw mode) using ND gradient with approx +1.7 EV for foreground and -1.0 for sky.