The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7ii owner... lens choices

I've been having a debate as a new user of the A7ii, as to which lenses to buy, I have had some experience of the most popular Sony E mount glass (24-70, 55, 35/2.8) having tried an A7 last year but the A7ii feels a much nicer camera, I'm coming over from a Nikon D750 as I've been a bit fed up lugging huge lenses around all the time and rather than split systems (for example keep my Nikon and add a Fuji CSC) I feel that the A7ii can give me the best of both worlds, great FF IQ and a body that can be larger when I need (Battery grip), or smaller when I'm travelling or sticking the camera in my everyday bag.

I'm finding lens choice complicated a little by the fact that the 24-70 f4 isn't great, normally I'd have that as my staple lens and then a wider prime but the poor 24-70 makes me wonder if I'd prefer the 16-35 and the supplement that with primes further up the line.

My initial plan for this year (and partly why I bought the A7ii) was to "simplify" my photography a little and allow me to refocus on the image, the shot rather than what has been for the last year an almost constantly evolving kit bag (D800>XT1>D750>D810>D750).

To that end I've been thinking about the 3x Loxia lenses, (21,35 & 50) as that would cover off the vast majority of my shooting and I love the idea of manual focus, most of what I do is tripod based anyway so the speed of AF isn't needed.

However the Loxia 35 (which I've tried) seemed "ok" rather than spectacular for £900 worth so I may forgo that for the 35/f2.8 and save some cash!

I bought the Metabones EF Adaptor with it and used a friends Canon 17-40L with some success but I feel this is getting away from one of my main goals of buying the A7ii, simplification and downsizing!! so I suspect I will pass on the Canon glass and sell on the Metabones.

I had a look through my images over the last 12 months and tried to figure out what focal lengths I actually use and discovered that I don't do a lot of shooting wider than 24mm, now thats probably partly because I haven't always had a wider angle but even then anything "wider" has tended to be 18-20 so I think the 21mm would probably do me fine, its only a step back!!

That also pointed to around 35 and 50-60 being key focal lengths for me, which leads me to the Loxia or Zeiss 35 and the Loxia or Zeiss 50/55.... too many decisions!

V

Vivek

New lenses are expected to be announced soon. Hold your horses for a little longer. :)

New lenses are expected to be announced soon. Hold your horses for a little longer. :)
I can't! I need something to shoot with!!!

If I'm honest I'm not all that interested in the rumoured lenses that are coming, even the 24-70 f2.8 will be fair too big and expensive for the body..... (£800 for the 24-70 f4) I'd expect £1200+ for the f2.8..

mbroomfield

I think in your shoes I'd probably go for a used 16-35 Sony and 55 Zony and see how I like them, and them what's coming. The 21mm Loxia is still on backorder and pretty expensive but if you want to change or get one of the newly announced lenses then selling the used lenses in a couple of months won't lose you much.

Annna T

I think in your shoes I'd probably go for a used 16-35 Sony and 55 Zony and see how I like them, and them what's coming. The 21mm Loxia is still on backorder and pretty expensive but if you want to change or get one of the newly announced lenses then selling the used lenses in a couple of months won't lose you much.
I don't really agree because of what the original poster is saying at the end : "I had a look through my images over the last 12 months and tried to figure out what focal lengths I actually use and discovered that I don't do a lot of shooting wider than 24mm, now thats probably partly because I haven't always had a wider angle but even then anything "wider" has tended to be 18-20 so I think the 21mm would probably do me fine, its only a step back!!"

Given the fact that the 16-35mm isn't very good at the long end, he would get a big and heavy zoom and won't use its full capabilities at the short end (16-21mm), but will be hampered by the so so performances at the long end (24-35mm). My 16-35mm is not even able to match the FE 24-70mm F4 at 24mm. That was a big deception for me. I knew 28mm and 35mm won't be great, but I expected the wider zoom to be better at 24mm. Now it could be that I have a great 24-70mm and a weak 16-35mm. But still, I regret the purchase.

mbroomfield

I don't really agree because of what the original poster is saying at the end : "I had a look through my images over the last 12 months and tried to figure out what focal lengths I actually use and discovered that I don't do a lot of shooting wider than 24mm, now thats probably partly because I haven't always had a wider angle but even then anything "wider" has tended to be 18-20 so I think the 21mm would probably do me fine, its only a step back!!"

Given the fact that the 16-35mm isn't very good at the long end, he would get a big and heavy zoom and won't use its full capabilities at the short end (16-21mm), but will be hampered by the so so performances at the long end (24-35mm). My 16-35mm is not even able to match the FE 24-70mm F4 at 24mm. That was a big deception for me. I knew 28mm and 35mm won't be great, but I expected the wider zoom to be better at 24mm. Now it could be that I have a great 24-70mm and a weak 16-35mm. But still, I regret the purchase.
30 years ago I thought my 24mm was the best UWA/WA that I'd ever need. Many years later I bought a 21mm Contax to use on my 1Ds and used it all the time for UWA. Now I use 15mm, 17mm, 21mm, and 24mm regularly.

I can't comment 1st hand on the performance of the lens though, I've just heard that it's excellent but weaker at the long end. As I said if he buys used he can try and have something to get going with, then sell it with little loss.

fotografz

This is actually the biggest issue I have had, and still have, with the AF Sony A7 series cameras (A7R/A7R-II) … lenses.

I could look past the chaotic control layout and dog's breakfast menu organization IF I were blown away by AF optics available. It is this issue that has kept me on the fence regarding getting the A7R-II. Call me old fashioned, but optics are still the priority for me, and cameras are what come and go. Other than nit-picking, or really special applications, most higher end cameras are more than capable for most photography.

36 and 43 meg require … no, demand, pretty high quality, stand out optics. IMO, these high-performance Sony sensors take their cameras into another league, while the available AF lens array drags them back to ordinary-ville.

I bought and sold the (essential to me), 24-70 focal length which, after 3 copies, I found still plagued by obscene native distortion and mediocre visual characteristics, especially for a f/4 lens, (f/4? Really? … REALLY?)

The 55/1.8 is clinically okay if a little bit slowish, has a decent build quality, is okay size wise, and is fine for pixel peepers, but IMHO is soulless (i.e., lacking character and individuality). The 35/2.8 is also okay, and a decent size for the A7 cameras, but is a toyish build, too slow, and also somewhat soulless.

Then I read respected folks reaction to the FE 16-35/4, and feel further disappointed. (f/4 again …. really?)

Other recent AF FE mount choices with faster apertures are huge and, so far, most are visually unimpressive in how they may stand out in a crowd of similar optics.

I've adapted a number of ZA A mount lenses to my A7R, but that requires the Frankensteinish LAEA-4 SLT adapter which is a fragile mechanism, and redefines the notion of awkward ergonomics. Most of those lenses are also hugmungous and unbalanced. A moot point now that I sold off my A99 and all the lenses except the 24-70/2.8.

Some of my M lenses are okay to good, but all of them are better on a M.

Many people have successfully adapted favored lenses from extensive collections of cool optics. I left shelves of lenses behind me long ago, and am not about to start back up for a company that can't seem to deliver native AF lenses that are up to promise of "size and resolution" delivered by the camera itself.

IMHO.

- Marc

V

Vivek

Other recent AF FE mount choices with faster apertures are huge and, so far, most are visually unimpressive in how they may stand out in a crowd of similar optics.
Wow! There are a bunch of idiots on this forum and elsewhere who missed this experienced advice! :facesmack:

Well I've managed to find a Loxia 21mm in stock and ordered that.... With a Loxia 50... With 10% off the both of them it was hard to pass up!

I think I'll stick with that for now and see where I want to go next, it would be very easy to pickup a used 35/2.8 or 28/2 to fill the gap in the middle and I might keep a look out for either a Batis 85 or Sony 90mm to give me some length too.

It should be a nice compact setup that will go nicely in my Billingham for travel... I'm looking forward to using the manual focus lenses!

k-hawinkler

This is actually the biggest issue I have had, and still have, with the AF Sony A7 series cameras (A7R/A7R-II) … lenses.

I could look past the chaotic control layout and dog's breakfast menu organization IF I were blown away by AF optics available. It is this issue that has kept me on the fence regarding getting the A7R-II. Call me old fashioned, but optics are still the priority for me, and cameras are what come and go. Other than nit-picking, or really special applications, most higher end cameras are more than capable for most photography.

36 and 43 meg require … no, demand, pretty high quality, stand out optics. IMO, these high-performance Sony sensors take their cameras into another league, while the available AF lens array drags them back to ordinary-ville.

I bought and sold the (essential to me), 24-70 focal length which, after 3 copies, I found still plagued by obscene native distortion and mediocre visual characteristics, especially for a f/4 lens, (f/4? Really? … REALLY?)

The 55/1.8 is clinically okay if a little bit slowish, has a decent build quality, is okay size wise, and is fine for pixel peepers, but IMHO is soulless (i.e., lacking character and individuality). The 35/2.8 is also okay, and a decent size for the A7 cameras, but is a toyish build, too slow, and also somewhat soulless.

Then I read respected folks reaction to the FE 16-35/4, and feel further disappointed. (f/4 again …. really?)

I've adapted a number of ZA A mount lenses to my A7R, but that requires the Frankensteinish LAEA-4 SLT adapter which is a fragile mechanism, and redefines the notion of awkward ergonomics. Most of those lenses are also hugmungous and unbalanced. A moot point now that I sold off my A99 and all the lenses except the 24-70/2.8.

Many people have successfully adapted favored lenses from extensive collections of cool optics. I left shelves of lenses behind me long ago, and am not about to start back up for a company that can't seem to deliver native AF lenses that are up to promise of "size and resolution" delivered by the camera itself.

IMHO.

- Marc

Interesting perspective Marc. I remember you stating you like the Leica S system. Sorry, if I got that wrong.
Aside from the M and S, which camera system(s) do you deem better to fit your needs at this time? TIA.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

IMHO.

- Marc

Did you write this a year ago because its all changed for the better and you have not purchased the Batis 25, 85, 35 1.4 or the 90 macro. So i have to disagree with this. Marc you waited years for Leica S lenses to hit the market but you give Sony no chance to even come close to doing the same. Sony and Zeiss have produced some outstanding glass in far less time. The S was so slow coming to market I could not even consider it in a Professional world as the wait for glass was at least 2 years to just get 3 or 4. I don't have much patience either but I can mount just about any brand on these Sonys. Metabones IV opened the door to the a huge part of the Canon system with very close AF abilities.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

IMHO.

- Marc
Marc,

I have very similar reasons for not stepping back into Sony territory again. Whenever I tried to get friend with Sony lenses (G or Zeiss) I failed. I finally always came back to Nikon (D810) and Leica (M and lately SL, which is on my wish list).

Obviously many others do not have these issues, so good luck to them and happy shooting.

Peter

fotografz

Interesting perspective Marc. I remember you stating you like the Leica S system. Sorry, if I got that wrong.
Aside from the M and S, which camera system(s) do you deem better to fit your needs at this time? TIA.
Reasonable question, the answer for which I am still searching for. Not to highjack this thread, but it IS related because the subject is lenses.

The S system has matured enough to fit my MF needs and work with lighting … paying or personal. 70% of S work is studio or more controlled situations on location. The systems dual shutter feature and consistent Optical Excellence were the determining factors.

The Leica MM & M lenses fit my street/sociological candid studies in B&W. The M lenses are small & excellent while featuring fast apertures … again Optics overrode other considerations.

Bringing me to your question. I've always had a fast AF DSLR for everything else … culminating with a Sony A99 SLT and a range of Zeiss AF A mount lenses … now mostly sold.

It was the sirens song of reduced size/weight with increased FF resolution that made the A7R AF camera an appealing consideration for replacing AF DSLRs or SLTs.

Now the A7R-II has taken that to a new level. I think anyone that has lived with Sony A would agree that it'd be hard to go back to the bigger solutions.

So, despite hating the interface, Sony A7R-II is on the list and has been in my B&H cart for months now. It is the lenses that stop me.

The question is … does that size factor doom the system to 1) more proportionate, smaller AF lenses with slow max apertures and milk-toast characteristics, or 2) faster aperture AF optics which soundly defeat the size advantage?

Why was it that Sony/Zeiss couldn't produce a better corrected 24-70 zoom, especially a f/4? This is a mainstay optic for a huge swath of AF users. THIS IS A KEY ISSUE FOR ME.

Why is the Zeiss FE 35/1.4 fatter, an inch longer, and considerably heavier than Canon's 35/1.4L? … (keeping in mind the size consideration of the FE camera).

The only other consideration would be the Leica M246, and just give up on a small FF camera AF solution. No question regarding optics there.

Frankly, nothing else is on the list. The Leica SL is expensive, and has no lenses except a slowish, giant zoom.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

- Marc

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
primary use for me for the A7RII is with the 17 and 24 canon TS lenses, 12mm CV and the contax G90, plus i can fit on Leica M's

Pradeep

Reasonable query from the OP. Lens choices for the Sony A7 series has been difficult but I do believe things have changed quite dramatically in the past several months.

I've owned and used the Summilux 50, Elmarit 28 and 90, a whole host of Canon glass (including its current top WA zoom the 16-35 MkII and 24-70 MkII) on my A7Rs.

I also have the Batis 25, Sony 16-35 f4, 35 f2.8, 55 1.8 and the Batis 85 f2.

So far, my own conclusion (strictly my own opinion) is that the A7R2 with the Batis 25 is the best combination of lens and camera in 35mm format for that given focal length.

I have not used the Loxia but given that they are the MF version of the Batis line they should be equally good optically. Being lighter also helps.

The A7R2 and the RX1R2 have now become my main cameras for everything other than wildlife photography. I have honestly not used my Pentax 645 much since I got the Batis lenses.

On another thread I posted my recent experience on a tour of India with the A7R2 and the Rx1R2. To repeat, my main lenses were the 16-35 on the A7 and of course the majority of images were made with the 35mm lens on the Rx2. I used the zoom mainly at the wide end.

In the end, everything depends on what you use the camera for. If your needs are travel, portraits, landscape, candids, and you are looking for a small, lightweight package, the Sony A7 series is pretty hard to beat.

k-hawinkler

Reasonable question, the answer for which I am still searching for. Not to highjack this thread, but it IS related because the subject is lenses.

The S system has matured enough to fit my MF needs and work with lighting … paying or personal. 70% of S work is studio or more controlled situations on location. The systems dual shutter feature and consistent Optical Excellence were the determining factors.

The Leica MM & M lenses fit my street/sociological candid studies in B&W. The M lenses are small & excellent while featuring fast apertures … again Optics overrode other considerations.

Bringing me to your question. I've always had a fast AF DSLR for everything else … culminating with a Sony A99 SLT and a range of Zeiss AF A mount lenses … now mostly sold.

It was the sirens song of reduced size/weight with increased FF resolution that made the A7R AF camera an appealing consideration for replacing AF DSLRs or SLTs.

Now the A7R-II has taken that to a new level. I think anyone that has lived with Sony A would agree that it'd be hard to go back to the bigger solutions.

So, despite hating the interface, Sony A7R-II is on the list and has been in my B&H cart for months now. It is the lenses that stop me.

The question is … does that size factor doom the system to 1) more proportionate, smaller AF lenses with slow max apertures and milk-toast characteristics, or 2) faster aperture AF optics which soundly defeat the size advantage?

Why was it that Sony/Zeiss couldn't produce a better corrected 24-70 zoom, especially a f/4? This is a mainstay optic for a huge swath of AF users. THIS IS A KEY ISSUE FOR ME.

Why is the Zeiss FE 35/1.4 fatter, an inch longer, and considerably heavier than Canon's 35/1.4L? … (keeping in mind the size consideration of the FE camera).

The only other consideration would be the Leica M246, and just give upon a small FF camera AF solution. No question regarding optics there.

Frankly, nothing else is on the list. The Leica SL is expensive, and has no lenses except a slowish, giant zoom.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

- Marc

Many thanks Marc for your candid answer. Much appreciated. I think I understand where you are coming from and you summarize the current situation in a consistent and logical manner IMHO. Thanks again.

Basically when I retired I took up photography as a hobby to keep me mentally challenged after having spend my entire professional career in the high end computing and associated visualization field, including fairly sizeable facilities to visualize in three dimensions large-scale time-dependent numerical simulations.

No doubt I am primarily a visually oriented person, so photography as a hobby came naturally and in due course I acquired these camera systems Nikon D40, D200, D300, D3. D800E, Leica M9, Sony NEX-5N, NEX-7, A7r, A7r2, Olympus E-P2, E-M5, EM1, and E-M5.2. All these cameras are in working order and still being used by me and other family members. For general photography these days I favor the A7r2. I like its haptics, IBIS, BSI 42 MP sensor, and the fact that I can use many adapted and native lenses on it.

Now to lenses. I have accumulated a fairly sizeable collection as so far I have only bought and never sold any. Most of my lenses are of Leica/Leitz M type. But I also have Visoflex and R lenses, and of course Nikkor, Sony E and FE, MFT, and some others. Some of the lenses are of historical interest only, but most perform fairly to exceedingly well.

I agree with you that as far as native Sony FE lenses are concerned it's a mixed bag in terms of size, performance and visual signature. So far I have only bought 3 native Sony/Zony FE lenses and seemed to have been very lucky with regards to copy variation. I consider all 3 lenses to be within spec. So no complains about those 3 although, of course, they have their limitations. They are FE 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and 90/2.8 MACRO G. These lenses also have their advantages in combination with the A7r2, namely for me it's Eye-AF. This feature alone in combination with the macro ability of the 90/2.8 G for me is reason enough to use the A7r2.

I like my M9 and M lenses and the images, including the colors, they produce, but was ready to buy the M240 after it was first introduced. However, I had to wait a year before one became available. By then it was obvious, among other things, that the M240 had inherited some of the firmware featues/bugs of the M9. I had to work hard to get my M9 beyond the beta testing stage - and I did with the help of the Panasonic Gold memory card - so I decided being an involuntary Leica beta tester once was enough.

Consequently I had great hopes to use my M and R lenses on the A7r/2. Well, there were some surprises for me. First the shutter shock issue for tele-lenses on the A7r. And then, of course, discoloration and corner smearing of some WA M lenses on the A7r, and corner smearing still on the A7r2 caused by the thicker sensor cover glass of Sony cameras as compared to digital Leica M cameras.

In collaboration with Hiep I tested many M lenses by comparing them on an A7r2 with a Kolari modified A7r2 with a thinner sensor cover glass. Indeed a thinner sensor cover glass yields a remarkable improvement for M lenses. However, it may also result in a noticeable degradation for some native FE lenses, e.g. the Batis 25/2 that I have on order. So consequently one would need a stock A7r2 for native FE lenses and a modified one for M lenses. Realizing that I am not sure at all I want to go down that route.

Luckily my Leica R and Nikkor F and G lenses seem to perform as well as expected on the Sony A7r2 and benefit from IBIS that is not available on the Leica SL. So, I think for me the A7r2 is the right choice at this time, in part because I have my Nikon and Olympus cameras for those uses for which native FE lenses are not yet available. Obviously, I am less concerned than you about lens sizes and weights.

Viramati

Well I've managed to find a Loxia 21mm in stock and ordered that.... With a Loxia 50... With 10% off the both of them it was hard to pass up!

I think I'll stick with that for now and see where I want to go next, it would be very easy to pickup a used 35/2.8 or 28/2 to fill the gap in the middle and I might keep a look out for either a Batis 85 or Sony 90mm to give me some length too.

It should be a nice compact setup that will go nicely in my Billingham for travel... I'm looking forward to using the manual focus lenses!
I think you have made a wise choice with these Loxia's (I have both) though at times the AF of the FE55 is very useful and it is a great lens. I also have the FE28 which is small and light though I never use it now since I got the Leica Q. The other superb FE lens that I would consider is the Sony G FE90 macro, though large a good copy is well worth it with great IQ and handling