The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone else pumped about the A6100?

Rawfa

The last 3 cameras that Sony released all support pdaf with several adapted lenses...which would lead me to believe (hope) this will now be a standard. If that is the case, this could mean ff look with fast af with the speedbooster/focal refucer adapters. Who else wants a super compact full frame? :D

V

Vivek

I look forward to it. I will consider this as a 1.5X teleconverter for the FF cams and not the other way around. :)

I hope it comes with a metal mount (if that is not asking for much!).

V

Vivek

14bit lossess RAW- anything less, they better sell them in plastic mounts.

Fuji's XPRo2 specs look great!

ggibson

Rumored specs look great for sure. I'm excited to see Sony finally releasing a touchscreen if it's true. Definitely the easiest way to nail focus quickly in a lot of situations.

I've long considered "trading down" from FE to just E for the size and weight savings. This A6100 just might do it. Funnily enough though, I now like the lens lineup for FE more than the original APS-C lineup. If only Sony would come out with a couple of f1.4 lenses. :(

For me, I think the main thing I would have trouble giving up is using the 55mm on a full frame sensor. I just love it.

pegelli

Any real news about this cam? The only thing rumour sites have produced the past couple of years on E-mount APS-C have proven to be vapourware :thumbdown:

V

Vivek

True. There are no real leaks from sony nowadays after Kim from N. Korea hacked them.:p

pegelli

14bit lossess RAW- anything less, they better sell them in plastic mounts.

Fuji's XPRo2 specs look great!
If they release the XPRo2 with a metal native E-mount I might get one :grin:

Btw, I've seen a lot of examples of lossy compression artifacts in A7 series camera's, but haven't seen (nor be able to produce) any similar artifacts with my NEX6 or A6000. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, does anybody else have any references?

UHDR

my wife's A6000 has travelled around the world and took fair abit of beatings...lol. now it suffers some freezes and black-out every few weeks, nothing turn-off-and-take-battery-out won't fix; but sometimes was enough to kill the mood. She made it clear she's quite happy with the size and weight and don't want to move onto A7 (mk1 bodies) size/weight, so we are dying to hope this new A6100 will be as compact/small. even the same 24MP is fine for us, just up-res the EVF and make the AA filter weaker.

we are also keeping an eye on fuji X-pro 2, but unforunately, they have no compact zoom like 16-70mm F4.

davidstock

I would consider ditching some FF gear for the rumored camera. I wonder if it's using a smaller version of Sony's new medium format sensor.

I always liked the small body and corner viewfinder of the NEX-7, which I still have.

I also like the depth-of-field trade-off of APSC, especially for getting lots of dof for cityscapes and travel. If Sony offers clean 36MP, IBIS, an upgraded viewfinder and eye-af, I'm all in. I have some good APSC lenses, and would gladly use some of the full-frame FE lenses on the smaller body.

The difference between 24MP and 36MP is real for me. I normally print at 12X18, and at 24MP I get slightly sub-optimal resolution, cropping leeway and ability to do perspective control. 36MP is a sweet spot, although I'll gladly take more.

Give me a 36MP A7RII-like package in an NEX-7 body, and I would sell my A7II backup right away. The A7RII might stay at home some, too.

V

Vivek

The newly announce Nikon D500 offers lossless compressed RAW. Sony better deliver it with the new NEX.

UHDR

The newly announce Nikon D500 offers lossless compressed RAW. Sony better deliver it with the new NEX.
what's interesting for me is that the D500 went down in resolution (20MP as opposed to the more commonly used 24MP). i wonder if the decision is driven by the balance between DR/fps and resolution.

ggibson

If they release the XPRo2 with a metal native E-mount I might get one :grin:
Hah, I think the opposite--I would like an A6100 with a Fuji X-mount so that I can put their fast lenses on it... 23/1.4... 35/1.4... 56/1.2... :D

alba63

I would consider ditching some FF gear for the rumored camera. I wonder if it's using a smaller version of Sony's new medium format sensor.
Hardly. The pixel density in a 36MP APSc sensor is way (!) higher than in the 101MP MF sensor. That one would give roughly 17,5MP only in APS-c, so roughly half of the rumored new APS sensor.

101MP sounds really much, but that sensor is 2,5x the size of FF. Scaled up to MF "full frame" (like the new PhaseOne Sony camera, a 36MP APSc sensor would be roughly 200MP.

Then again, if you downsample the files from that rumoured BSI 36MP sensor to 18MP, you probably end up with higher quality than with a 18MP sensor. Downsampling is one of the true virtues of higher MP sensor to overcome the errors and imprecisions of the CFA. At least it minimizes them.

Otherwise, even if that 36MP BSI sensor in APSc becomes reality, I'd not expect FF- like images from it. It will have the different look of a smaller sensor and according lenses. BTW, 36MP will put huge strain on existing lenses, specially those designed for FF. 36MP scaled up to FF would be 84MP (!!!). Not sure how many lenses have such resolving power, specially when wider open. Resolution will certainly rise with such a sensor, but not in a linear way, the curve will become flatter.

Hah, I think the opposite--I would like an A6100 with a Fuji X-mount so that I can put their fast lenses on it... 23/1.4... 35/1.4... 56/1.2... :D
Obviously. For APSc cameras, there is no lens system as good as Fuji's right now. They have a line of high quality lenses with the right focal lenghts, and no real duds in it. I have yet to see another 35/1,4 that renders as beautifully as the sweet little Fujinon.

davidstock

"Otherwise, even if that 36MP BSI sensor in APSc becomes reality, I'd not expect FF- like images from it. It will have the different look of a smaller sensor and according lenses. BTW, 36MP will put huge strain on existing lenses, specially those designed for FF. 36MP scaled up to FF would be 84MP (!!!). Not sure how many lenses have such resolving power, specially when wider open. Resolution will certainly rise with such a sensor, but not in a linear way, the curve will become flatter."

Depends on what you shoot, with what lenses, for what purpose, IMO.

For instance: At base ISO, stopped down to f8 for depth of field and resolution, I found that cityscape files from my 24MP NEX-7 with a Sigma Art 60mm were hard to distinguish in IQ from files shot with a very sharp 90mm Tamron macro on a 24MP A7 at f8 (or at f11 for more similar dof). Other photographers have found the same thing with other lens combinations. If I was mainly trying to get certain bokeh effects, or lowest possible dof, or absolute best high ISO performance, there is going to be some difference between FF and APSC sensors of the same generation. But not that much. Maybe a half stop of ISO at most light levels; plenty of focus separation available for my usual purposes.

I imagine that if we get a latest-generation APSC Sony sensor, at 36MP, it will probably be considerably better than the NEX-7 in terms of overall image quality. Better, in fact, than an A7. And, I expect that the Zony and Batis primes will be fine on high density sensors, whether APSC or FF. Same for the better FE G lenses and the 28mm. They are really good all around, and remarkably sharp in the center region. I think these new lenses are being designed for future bodies well beyond 42MP. But, maybe we'll get to find out one way or another!