Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Auto focus with anything!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Auto focus with anything!

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I received my adapter last Saturday, and have shot several hundred photos since then.

I've been using "Flexible Spot: S" successfully, the only photos that have not been in focus were the result of user error (i.e., firing without first pressing back-button AF.)

A few notes:

Mine apparently came with firmware version 1. However when I looked at the version number, it originally said:

Lens
    Ver. 02

So I originally thought it shipped with firmware version 2.

After updating to version 2, the motor is less 'chirpy' and focus seems a bit slower, but that may just be an initial impression as I just updated it a few minutes ago and have only done a few tests around the house.

Now, when I go to the Version screen on the camera, it shows:

Lens
    Ver. 01

As far as where to put the focus ring on the lens, I leave it on infinity, unless the subject is relatively close.

For example, with the 50/1.7 C/Y, the minimum focus distance is 0.6m. That's a little long for my preference with SLR lenses (the 50/1.4 C/Y has an MFD of 0.45m for comparison) so the Techart adapter is very useful, as it's in effect a built-in, on-demand, variable extension tube.

So, if I'm shooting something that is in the range of about 1m to infinity, I leave the lens on infinity.

If the subject is fairly close, however, say, in the range of 1m or less, I'll turn the focus ring on the lens until things look reasonably sharp in the viewfinder, then hit the back-button AF to lock focus. After a bit of practice this becomes second nature, and the motor in the Techart only has to move very slightly to lock focus.

The above would be the recommended usage for lenses with floating elements; coarse focus manually, and then press AF button to lock.

If the lens is NOT at infinity, and you try to AF on something farther away, the Techart might not be able to reach focus. At first I was wondering what was up, but it was just user error. In this situation the motor moves a bit, but never 'beeps' with focus confirmation and the green square doesn't light up. Set the focus ring to infinity and then press the AF button again.

At first I wasn't able to use focus magnification, but finally figured out that AF/MF Ctrl has to be toggled first.

So in AF mode, you won't see focus peaking, and you won't be able to magnify. This error will appear:

“This operation or setting
    is not available as follows

Focus Mode
    Single-shot AF”

Toggle to MF and focus peaking will appear, and magnification is then possible.

My camera has AF/MF Ctrl Toggle set to the Center Button, Focus Magnifier set to C2, and Steady Shot Focal Length set to C4 (trash can.) This arrangement was suggested by Chad (@Show Performance.)

Hope this helps!
    Thanks Monza, very informative!

Tw other questions are:

Infinity with adapters is mostly a liitle past infinity, especially if you start using two adapters on top of each other.
    If I try to think logically with my limited tech brain I would think this is not a problem for the Techart adapter?

Did you use one of the latest Sony camera models? Because, as Vivek stated on the old models the focussing is like a snail and I didn't
    hear you complain about focussing speed.

Thanks
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    On a A7rII it would be better?
    Bart will let us know if that is the case.

Michiel, you are welcome to try the adapter on your A7r.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah thanks, Vivek, may be one of these days....

It would put some new life into my old lenses.
    Even with two adapters my pancake C/Y 45 Tessar would make
    a very modest streetcam. And in deed the Jupiters!

Let's see what Bart has to say about this

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Monza, very informative!

Tw other questions are:

Infinity with adapters is mostly a liitle past infinity, especially if you start using two adapters on top of each other.
    If I try to think logically with my limited tech brain I would think this is not a problem for the Techart adapter?
    Most of my shots were taken with C/Y lenses, so the Techart + a C/Y-to-M adapter.

Did you use one of the latest Sony camera models? Because, as Vivek stated on the old models the focussing is like a snail and I didn't
    hear you complain about focussing speed.

Thanks
    A7-II.

Focusing speed is not as fast as the Techart for Contax G, but then again, that motor is only moving the optics, not the entire lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On a A7rII it would be better?
    Yes, the adapter was designed for use on the supported cameras with PDAF - a7II, a7RII and a6300 - using it on anything but will be a painful experience.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Bart will let us know if that is the case.

Michiel, you are welcome to try the adapter on your A7r.
    Don't hold your breath, guys !
    Got this today ...

Hi Sir,

Sorry to tell you that due to the heated demand and limited supply, we are not able to ship all the preorders in late March.
    According to your order number, we are going to ship in around late April/early May. Will let you know when it is available to ship.
    Thank you very much for your understanding and patience. We will make sure this waiting is worthwhile.
    Please stay close to our webpage/facebook page for latest shipment updates.

Thanks again for your support and sorry for all the inconvenience caused!

David
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Don't hold your breath, guys !
    Got this today ...

Hmm. My order number was 597, placed 2/9. Shipment arrived 4/15

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah thanks, Vivek, may be one of these days....

And indeed the Jupiters!
    All Jupiters- 3,8 and 9 or even the 12 are just wonderful. I look forward to having functional AF (with an appropriate camera) one day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. My order number was 597, placed 2/9. Shipment arrived 4/15
    Yeah, I'm always late you know ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monza was nice enough to let me borrow his Techart while I've been recovering from the stomach flu. Took it out for a trip to the doctor and to pick up lunch for my wife (can't handle burgers yet). Took the C/Y Zeiss 50mm Planar 1.4 and a7RII along.

The adapter was really impressive. Focus is very accurate and plenty fast in daylight. It is similar to the Techart G adapter except quieter and a bit slower but not by much.

Also played around with my converted minilux 40mm Summarit but no samples yet. That lens seems like a perfect match on the Techart.

This is a game changer and a tech that will only improve as PDAF improves. Exciting times.

Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Monza was nice enough to let me borrow his Techart while I've been recovering from the stomach flu. Took it out for a trip to the doctor and to pick up lunch for my wife (can't handle burgers yet). Took the C/Y Zeiss 50mm Planar 1.4 and a7RII along.

The adapter was really impressive. Focus is very accurate and plenty fast in daylight. It is similar to the Techart G adapter except quieter and a bit slower but not by much.

Also played around with my converted minilux 40mm Summarit but no samples yet. That lens seems like a perfect match on the Techart.

This is a game changer and a tech that will only improve as PDAF improves. Exciting times.

I sold my A7II for an RX1RII. This makes me almost regret that. Almost! :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, K-H!

It is not possible to manually focus when this adapter is mounted with all the electrical contacts intact.

It is AF or bust! No DMF or MF possibilities at all. Also, my 5N reported "not enough power" for a sensor clean with the adapter on!
    Thanks Vivek. I am afraid you are correct with the above statements.
    Now that I have had my adapter for a few days I also so far have not found a way to use magnification either. They sure disabled a lot of functionality in the A7r2 when using the adapter. Maybe they will add some of it later back in with firmware updates. But that takes time.

My first impression on the A7r2, the adapter is work in progress, but for me already worth having. I need to use it more before making further characterizations.

Thanks again.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Vivek. I am afraid you are correct with the above statements.
    Now that I have had my adapter for a few days I also so far have not found a way to use magnification either. They sure disabled a lot of functionality in the A7r2 when using the adapter. Maybe they will add some of it later back in with firmware updates. But that takes time.

My first impression on the A7r2, the adapter is work in progress, but for me already worth having. I need to use it more before making further characterizations.

Thanks again.
    To use magnification you'll need to go into manual focus mode. This has to be assigned to a button; on my camera it's set to the center button. Magnify is set to C2.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

More here:

At first I wasn't able to use focus magnification, but finally figured out that AF/MF Ctrl has to be toggled first.

So in AF mode, you won't see focus peaking, and you won't be able to magnify. This error will appear:

Focus Mode
    Single-shot AF”

My camera has AF/MF Ctrl Toggle set to the Center Button, Focus Magnifier set to C2, and Steady Shot Focal Length set to C4 (trash can.)
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks monza for your help.
    I'll give it a try and report back.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I received my adapter last Saturday, and have shot several hundred photos since then.

I've been using "Flexible Spot: S" successfully, the only photos that have not been in focus were the result of user error (i.e., firing without first pressing back-button AF.)

A few notes:

Mine apparently came with firmware version 1. However when I looked at the version number, it originally said:

Lens
    Ver. 02

So I originally thought it shipped with firmware version 2.

After updating to version 2, the motor is less 'chirpy' and focus seems a bit slower, but that may just be an initial impression as I just updated it a few minutes ago and have only done a few tests around the house.

Now, when I go to the Version screen on the camera, it shows:

Lens
    Ver. 01

As far as where to put the focus ring on the lens, I leave it on infinity, unless the subject is relatively close.

For example, with the 50/1.7 C/Y, the minimum focus distance is 0.6m. That's a little long for my preference with SLR lenses (the 50/1.4 C/Y has an MFD of 0.45m for comparison) so the Techart adapter is very useful, as it's in effect a built-in, on-demand, variable extension tube.

So, if I'm shooting something that is in the range of about 1m to infinity, I leave the lens on infinity.

If the subject is fairly close, however, say, in the range of 1m or less, I'll turn the focus ring on the lens until things look reasonably sharp in the viewfinder, then hit the back-button AF to lock focus. After a bit of practice this becomes second nature, and the motor in the Techart only has to move very slightly to lock focus.

The above would be the recommended usage for lenses with floating elements; coarse focus manually, and then press AF button to lock.

If the lens is NOT at infinity, and you try to AF on something farther away, the Techart might not be able to reach focus. At first I was wondering what was up, but it was just user error. In this situation the motor moves a bit, but never 'beeps' with focus confirmation and the green square doesn't light up. Set the focus ring to infinity and then press the AF button again.

Focus Mode
    Single-shot AF”

My camera has AF/MF Ctrl Toggle set to the Center Button, Focus Magnifier set to C2, and Steady Shot Focal Length set to C4 (trash can.) This arrangement was suggested by Chad (@Show Performance.)

Hope this helps!

Thanks monza. Yup, that works like a charm.
    Here is an image I took with autofocus and the Leica 75/2 Summicron-M AA on A7r2 and the LM-EA7 adapter @ ISO 12,800.

To my eyes it has a nice 3-D appearance.

BTW, I tried the adapter also on my 50/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH that I believe has an FLE. I got an AF picture - but not a good idea!
    Well, yes a good idea - if one doesn't take a picture of the screen!
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 2nd May 2016 at 05:56.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Pics?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics?
    Thanks monza. Of course we need pics. I am making them up as we go. Real time delivery!
    When I took a picture of the screen I encountered a terrible oscillation of the adapter. Bad.

So, I went outside and took an AF shot of this early (humming)-bird with my 50/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH lens with FLE @ f/1.4.

This is a 100% resolution crop.

Well. That seems in focus to my eyes.
    I very much doubt that I could have done that with manual focusing @ f/1.4!

So in MF mode I focused on the feeder ahead of time.
    Then I switched to AF, pointed the tiny flexible spot S at the bird and fired, voilà.

I may use this lens a lot after all except for the CA wide open.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...I didn't see the 75/2 pic at first.

I have one FLE lens but have not had time to test.

I have found the adapter to be extremely accurate. Much more than I could be, with magnify and focus peaking...

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the negative effect of not using the floating element will be visible, if any, only at short focusing distance.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    I think that the negative effect of not using the floating element will be visible, if any, only at short focusing distance.
    I tend to agree. In that case, anything that is short distance from the camera, adjust the lens focusing ring until things are reasonably sharp in the viewfinder (instead of using the AF system) then press the AF button to confirm focus and shoot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Thanks Ario. You may well be right on this point.
    I also could have taken the picture of the hummingbird by presetting the lens to infinity.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree. In that case, anything that is short distance from the camera, adjust the lens focusing ring until things are reasonably sharp in the viewfinder (instead of using the AF system) then press the AF button to confirm focus and shoot.
    I also think that this is the correct procedure to focus with FLE lenses.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I just played with the Tele-Elmar 135/4.
    The adapter focuses fine, provided one has manually pre-focused sufficiently well.

The Tele-Elmarit-M 90/2.8 is very easy to focus at larger distances when preset to infinity.

Heavier lenses don't seem to work well, if at all.

So, which lenses make sense for me to use on the adapter?

• WATE, it is small and delivers
    • 75/2 Summicron-M AA, I love the way it draws

• 50/2 Summicron
    • 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M
    • 90/2.8 Elmarit-M works well with the adapter, but borderline heavy

Other 21, 28, and 35 mm lenses with reservations.
    I don't have a 24 mm rangefinder lens.

I also have a Minolta 24-35/3.5 lens that seems to work well with the LM-EA7 adapter.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 2nd May 2016 at 10:24.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wides and normals and short teles seem to work very well with the adapter. Longer lenses have more difficulty, this is where getting close with the focusing ring, and then using the Techart to confirm focus, is the proper method.

Overall I'm extremely pleased. When the adapter confirms focus, it's extremely accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for all this info.

I was going to wait until any/all bugs were exterminated, but the adapter seems to be working well for all but heaviest lenses, and the early adopters* seem to have made the right choice.

Kirk

*Adapter adopters?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Thx for all this info.

I was going to wait until any/all bugs were exterminated, but the adapter seems to be working well for all but heaviest lenses, and the early adopters* seem to have made the right choice.

Kirk

*Adapter adopters?

I'm a member of AA.

It's my guess that 'heavy' isn't a particular problem (although at some point a lens would definitely be too heavy at which point I suppose the camera would move, not the lens.)

I'm going to do more testing but I think it's more related to focal length. I'm going to test that theory with an 80-200/4 C/Y lens. If the theory holds, it should work fine at 80, and require manual adjustment to get 'close' in order to confirm/lock at 200.

If the theory doesn't hold, then maybe it *is* weight related...

More soon.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert, it is FL related as well as a number of other factors like weight and sharpness/contrast. The light weight M Rokkor 90/4 struggles as well as the heavier (and low contrast wide open) OM 50/1.2.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, it is FL related as well as a number of other factors like weight and sharpness/contrast. The light weight M Rokkor 90/4 struggles as well as the heavier (and low contrast wide open) OM 50/1.2.
    What I'm seeing is that when the AF button is pressed the adapter just barely moves, and gives up. It's almost like it's too far out of range, and so it doesn't know what to do...

Manual focus the lens to get things reasonably close, then press AF button, and it confirms right away.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I'm seeing is that when the AF button is pressed the adapter just barely moves, and gives up. It's almost like it's too far out of range, and so it doesn't know what to do...

Manual focus the lens to get things reasonably close, then press AF button, and it confirms right away.
    You are describing the limitation/uselessness of the adapter.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You are describing the limitation/uselessness of the adapter.

This is completely false.

It's an extremely valuable tool, being able to confirm focus FAR more accurately and quickly than by focus peaking/magnification.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quick test:

80-200 c/y at f/4, 771 total grams with the c/y to M adapter.

At 80mm, lens focused at infinity: easily confirms focus (subject at 10 feet in this case.)

At 200mm, it struggled with the lens at infinity. Manually focused lens until things looked reasonably sharp in the viewfinder, then press AF: performs a fine-tune and then confirms.

This shot at 200mm at f/4, using Flexible Spot: S.

Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

SHIPMENT UPDATES (6/5): Order No. 899 or earlier have been shipped today. For Europe orders, one extra week is needed for transhipment from our UK warehouse. Thanks.
    Just one more week ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got a text that mine is at the post office. Should be out for delivery tomorrow. Odd that the first batch was shipped from CT in the US but this round came from Hong Kong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Techart Pro arrived today.

This one was with a Konica Hexar AF 35/2 lens conversion by MS Optical on the a7RII. Notice that interesting bokeh and close focus capability with the Techart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the Hexar AF conversion on Monza's gorgeous M. So light and tiny.

Believe this was with the C-Sonnar 50/1.5 on Techart Pro/a7RII

Last edited by Show Performance; 11th May 2016 at 19:37.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Here is the Hexar AF conversion on Monza's gorgeous M. So light and tiny.
    Proper camera to lens size ratio. Please inform Sony about this aspect.

(eg., The Leica Q vs Sony RX1R II)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dirk W bought my adapter and is putting it to good use.

Yes this is cool! First Canon FD autofocus test from Dirk Westermann! | sonyalpharumors

I am happy that it went to the right hands.
    Last edited by Vivek; 17th May 2016 at 15:31.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Dirk W bought my adapter and is putting it to good use.

Yes this is cool! First Canon FD autofocus test from Dirk Westermann! | sonyalpharumors

I am happy that it went to the right hands.

That's terrific Vivek.

The TechArt Pro adapter also works extremely well with the A7r2, focusing the Leica APO-Telyt-R 280/4 - after pre-focusing manually.
    BTW, the Video Remote Controller from the Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod adds a 4x digital zoom to (4K) videos only, but not to stills (raw), on my A7r2.
    So, that seems to turn my 280/4 prime into an equivalent video zoom of 280-1120mm for FOV.

What will they think of next?

The 1080p video https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...-RLM/i-qnZmmBs was shot in 4K, when it was windy, raining a bit and getting dark.
    It starts out with a magnification of 1x, zooms in and out, with a maximum magnification of 4x at one time.
    Autofocus looks like it was keeping up with the action.

I just noticed that in the A7r2 I had also APS-C set to ON. So the equivalent focal length above should be multiplied by 1.5.
    So, 280 -> 1.5*280 = 420, 1120 -> 1.5*1120 = 1680 = 4*420
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 17th May 2016 at 22:34.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried a semi-weighty lens? I'd love to use this with my ZM 35/1.4 Distagon but it's kind of a honker. Maybe not so heavy as an Otus but big. Would the weight slow down the focus operation to make it not-so-fun? My other two lenses are the C-Sonnar 50 and the 28/2.8 Biogon, both tiny. I'd try one myself if I could get my hands on one!

Post Thanks / Like

K-H

Clear image zoom gets you 3X for stills.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...zoom-test.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    K-H

Clear image zoom gets you 3X for stills.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...zoom-test.html

Many thanks. It's 2x. I have read, tried, and learned a lot since my posts above. Thanks again.
    I think Clear Image Zoom with 2x is the way to go. :-)
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the delay as we were experiencing some custom issues. Now the issue is resolved. You should be able to receive a shipment notification in the next couple of days.
    Still waiting ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    Has anyone tried a semi-weighty lens? I'd love to use this with my ZM 35/1.4 Distagon but it's kind of a honker. Maybe not so heavy as an Otus but big. Would the weight slow down the focus operation to make it not-so-fun? My other two lenses are the C-Sonnar 50 and the 28/2.8 Biogon, both tiny. I'd try one myself if I could get my hands on one!
    You are in luck, I've used both the ZM 35/1.4 and C-Sonnar 50 and they work wonderfully. I even used the ZM on the Techart for an assignment with Urban Outfitters. I don't find that either lens feels significantly slower than a small lens like the m-Rokkor 40/2.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting ...
    Same here, but I was told not to expect delivery until early July.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly I just bought one from B&H. It was listed as 'in stock' so I pulled the trigger. WHen I went back to the sale link to post here, it's listed as unavailable again. Hopefully I'm lucky and they happened to have one from a canceled order. I'll report back when/if it's in hand.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Your TECHART PRO order from February 13, 2016 is SHIPPED
    Yippee !
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yippee !

Congratulations Bart! When will it arrive?
    Having your camera setup appropriately will add to your enjoyment.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Congratulations Bart! When will it arrive?
    Having your camera setup appropriately will add to your enjoyment.
    Hey K-H, when it arrives I'll know !
    Setting up my camera appropriately ? Crickey - what am I missing ?

All the best.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey K-H, when it arrives I'll know !
    Setting up my camera appropriately ? Crickey - what am I missing ?

All the best.
    Well Bart, maybe nothing.

Anyway, here is my A7r2 setup.
    A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ... post #246
    That way I can switch fast from AF to MF and back in case the adapter cannot AF for whatever reason.
    Same for switching IBIS on and off and selecting the SteadyS. Focal Len.
    Another useful item is the In-Camera Guide for getting a brief explanation when in menu.
    Have fun.
    With best regards, K-H.