The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto focus with anything!

k-hawinkler

Many thanks Vivek for reporting your experience with the adapter.
My order number is above 600, so it maybe awhile before my adapter ships.
It's good to know that it also works on an NEX-5N, not just on an A7/r II.
A question, how accurate/consistent is the focus the adapter achieves? TIA.

V

Vivek

Hi K-H,

At best, it is quite inconsistent on the NEX-5N (monochrome where it does better than the regular 5N). Keep the face recognition option on. Indoors it is fabulous. Outside, sometimes it is impossible to get a focus lock or confirmation and hence it is not possible to take a shot

fwiw, my order number was 591.

Let me load some samples on to my space here and post it.

V

Vivek

Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5 (f/2)

M-Rokkor 90/4 (f/4), focus range was set on the lens as well.

V

Vivek

It took about 2 mins to lock focus and trip the shutter.

Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5 (f4), NEX-5N monochrome.

k-hawinkler

Many thanks Vivek.
May I assume that one can also manually focus the adapter?
If so, I will see how my aging eyes compare. :grin:
Thanks again and I hope your health is improving. Good luck!

PS: With regards to the last image I admire your patience! :)

V

Vivek

Thank you, K-H!

It is not possible to manually focus when this adapter is mounted with all the electrical contacts intact. :(

It is AF or bust! No DMF or MF possibilities at all. Also, my 5N reported "not enough power" for a sensor clean with the adapter on!

This was one lucky shot. The AF worked within ~10-15s to make this!

Juipter-3 5cm f/1.5 f/2.8, NEX-5N monochrome.

PS: With regards to the last image I admire your patience! :)
Finally, I found something slower than me (in my current physical condition). :LOL:

k-hawinkler

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Well, I just learned that my adapter is in their 2nd batch.
They already started shipping the 2nd batch to their US warehouse. :thumbup:
So, I should get it soon.

My expectation is that the adapter will be an educational experience for me, but also for them.
It likely will take a few iterations to perfect it. :grin:

I am curious to find out if and what differences there are in focus behavior for different lenses and different scenes and compare notes with others on this forum. :facesmack: :D

Hmm, which lens to try out first on A7r2? Summilux 50/1.4? Any suggestions? TIA.

V

Vivek

These are the lenses I tried (as mentioned, not on a recommended camera):

Summarit-M 35/2.5,
M-Rokkor 40/2
Jupiter-8 5cm/2
Jupiter-3 5cm/1.5
Orion-15 28/6 (works!)
Elmars 35 and 50 f3.5
M-Rokkor 90/4

All light weight lenses.

I had the feeling that an OM 50/1.2 and a Summicron 75/2 would struggle more.

k-hawinkler

These are the lenses I tried (as mentioned, not on a recommended camera):

Summarit-M 35/2.5,
M-Rokkor 40/2
Jupiter-8 5cm/2
Jupiter-3 5cm/1.5
Orion-15 28/6 (works!)
Elmars 35 and 50 f3.5
M-Rokkor 90/4

All light weight lenses.

I had the feeling that an OM 50/1.2 and a Summicron 75/2 would struggle more.

Many thanks Vivek.
From the lenses you list I only have the AA Summicron 75/2.
I certainly will test that lens.

But I don't think AF with the 75/2 will work for Hummingbirds! :LOL:
But one never knows for sure without trying.
We'll see how it does in due course. :grin:

If the focusing motor can handle the weight of the camera and adapter then I could try some really heavy R lenses by supporting the lens on a tripod and remotely firing the shutter.

serhan

I received mine yesterday and was testing on a7R 2. My order number was after Vivek's number so it is a little later in the US. It was shipped from CT. It came with firmware ver 2 so that is good as I saw in the Chinese forum that it is just released:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://forum.xitek.com/thread-1535183-1-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhjSoeMxV9IhzSUHDZ8RPxAEme94dg

The af speed was better then I expected. In the low light it is slower and needs faster aperture but day time af was good. I need to test more as I was mostly using lighter glass eg Rokkor-M 28mm 2.8, ZM 50mm 1.5, Summarit 50mm 2.5. I tried just Summarit 90mm 2.5 at night and felt it is slower then the previous batch and then I checked the CV 75mm 2.5 and that is also fast like the 50mm lenses so the weight of the lens is factor. I also had Contarex to M and Canon to M adapters to try other lenses but both adapters did not fit to this adapter. It looks like I should have checked their stock. I am guessing the lighter lenses af better/faster. I tried also afc last night. First focus was slow but then tracking was fast. I need to check it day time.

Also my camera needed a sensor cleaning and after that I was shooting stopped down skies and noticed an internal ring reflection in the photos which is similar to what I found with the Contax g 45mm with af g adapter that came from the same designer. I still have to process and check it. I have not seen the ring reflection using Hawk's close-up adapter.

The adapter sticks from the bottom so I added Neewer L bracket to level it.

Here is my test shots w/ Summarit 50mm 2.5 from today:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Many thanks serhan. Much appreciated.

From the adapters you have, which ones work with the TechArt Pro and which ones don't. TIA.

Also, did the adapter just show up or did they send you in advance a notification?
My order number is in the 620s, so my adapter should arrive soon. :thumbup:

serhan

Both adapters Canon EF mount to Leica M Mount and Contarex mount to Leica M mount does not fit. The motor at the bottom is thicker then the Sony to m mount distance, so the other adapters are hitting it and do not fit. Only Leica M and LTM lenses I managed to use.

From the adapters you have, which ones work with the TechArt Pro and which ones don't. TIA.

serhan

They sent an e-mail saying my order shipped, but there was no tracking number. It came to my post box after 2-3 days. I saw they had a tracking number as they need that to get the payment from paypal but they have not provided that in the e-mail.

Also, did the adapter just show up or did they send you in advance a notification?
My order number is in the 620s, so my adapter should arrive soon. :thumbup:

k-hawinkler

Thank you, K-H!

It is not possible to manually focus when this adapter is mounted with all the electrical contacts intact. :(

It is AF or bust! No DMF or MF possibilities at all. Also, my 5N reported "not enough power" for a sensor clean with the adapter on!

This was one lucky shot. The AF worked within ~10-15s to make this!

Juipter-3 5cm f/1.5 f/2.8, NEX-5N monochrome.

Finally, I found something slower than me (in my current physical condition). :LOL:

Thanks Vivek. Apparently one can manually focus the lens with the adapter mounted. Have focus set to back button and exposure set to shutter button. Then manually focus the lens with its mechanism before exposing.

Also my camera needed a sensor cleaning and after that I was shooting stopped down skies and noticed an internal ring reflection in the photos which is similar to what I found with the Contax g 45mm with af g adapter that came from the same designer. I still have to process and check it. I have not seen the ring reflection using Hawk's close-up adapter.

The "ring reflection" is not an internal reflection. It is a software correction in camera. Turn off your automatic lens corrections and it will disappear.