The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto focus with anything!

I got mine! Can't believe I was lucky enough to catch an in-stock one at B&H. I'd say try from there if you're considering buying. I had to update to FW 2.0 but I can't believe how good it is. Not perfect, but just the fact that I don't have to zoom in to 100% for fine focus is pretty amazing. I'd say it focuses roughly at the same speed as my RX1R2. A Batis lens is only slightly faster. Though it gets tricked if it's at an extreme end of the the range. It's good that you can hit MF and it'll return to Infinity position, that usually fixes it. I will have no problem using this as a 2nd camera at weddings for portraits and details. It doesn't make my Nikon obsolete, but what I want to do will be much less of a PITA without having to zoom in for fine focus. Hell yes.

scho

I got mine! Can't believe I was lucky enough to catch an in-stock one at B&H. I'd say try from there if you're considering buying. I had to update to FW 2.0 but I can't believe how good it is. Not perfect, but just the fact that I don't have to zoom in to 100% for fine focus is pretty amazing. I'd say it focuses roughly at the same speed as my RX1R2. A Batis lens is only slightly faster. Though it gets tricked if it's at an extreme end of the the range. It's good that you can hit MF and it'll return to Infinity position, that usually fixes it. I will have no problem using this as a 2nd camera at weddings for portraits and details. It doesn't make my Nikon obsolete, but what I want to do will be much less of a PITA without having to zoom in for fine focus. Hell yes.
Latest from B&H on this adapter:

Dear Customer

Thank you for your interest in the following item:

DEO-Tech Leica M Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Autofocus Adapter
(B&H # DEOAFM2SEMK1)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

If that is the case, either you are not using the RX1R II to its full potential or it is defective. :lecture:
Ok maybe the RX1R2 is slightly faster but I was more talking about in AF-S mode. AF-C the RX1R2 is probably faster... But the point is, not by much. I'm shocked.

k-hawinkler

Latest from B&H on this adapter:

Dear Customer

Thank you for your interest in the following item:

DEO-Tech Leica M Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Autofocus Adapter
(B&H # DEOAFM2SEMK1)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Thanks Carl. Maybe it's time to pre-order a second copy as backup directly from techartpro.com with 2 to 3 months lead time. I use my LM-EA7 all the time and would hate to be without that gadget.

Knorp

Anyone tried setting their adapter to 135mm (F32) ?
When I do this my adapter seems to park at infinity, like I had selected F36, and won't AF anymore.
Setting it to another setting reactivates AF again and the adapter works as advertised.

Dropped Techart a note, but no reaction yet.

Attachments

OK, I finally Did It and ordered TechArt M to FE AF. I was looking at books with photos from the fifties and sixties and decided I want that good ol' flarey look back again, but without all the grain.

While waiting the mandatory month for shipment, it would be nice to have your thoughts about some questions:

--My current favorite old-timer is a 5cm RF f1.4 Nikkor in LTM (+ M adapter). The old Nikkors focus in the opposite direction from M lenses, but with distance set for infinity that's no problem - the TechArt motor takes over and the lens moves in the right direction? Or am I wrong about this?

--I'll be shooting mostly at wide apertures, using ND filters when necessary. But if I want to stop down to f8 or 11, is focusing with the adapter still pretty accurate and fast? Or do you find it preferable to switch to MF + zone focus?

--I've accumulated some of the fine old Zeiss lenses in Contax mount for A7 series use, and I read that these will autofocus via TechArt if you pair it with Their own C/Y to FE adapter (other brands don't seem to fit). So I ordered their C/Y adapter too and am concerned about just one lens, the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 f3.4, which is pretty heavy. It's not the kit lens, it's the one that rivaled the primes and weighs in at 600 gms. Do you suppose it'll focus quickly and accurately enough, or is this pushing the adapter motor too hard?

--And finally, I'll be waiting quite a while for shipment; so if any of you folks with TechArt adapters got tired of yours, or are moving to Hasselblad or something ever fancier than Sony, please let me know - I'd be happy to have a used v.3 and no wait!

Thx in advance for any answers or additional thoughts,

Kirk

Schmiddi

--My current favorite old-timer is a 5cm RF f1.4 Nikkor in LTM (+ M adapter). The old Nikkors focus in the opposite direction from M lenses, but with distance set for infinity that's no problem - the TechArt motor takes over and the lens moves in the right direction? Or am I wrong about this?
Hello,
don't worry - the adapter just moves the lenses away from sensor by moving whole lens. It doesn't matter in which direction you have to turn for manual focus, as the adapter does not try to turn the ring...
Have fun with adapter and lenses, Andreas

Knorp

--I've accumulated some of the fine old Zeiss lenses in Contax mount for A7 series use, and I read that these will autofocus via TechArt if you pair it with Their own C/Y to FE adapter (other brands don't seem to fit). So I ordered their C/Y adapter too and am concerned about just one lens, the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 f3.4, which is pretty heavy. It's not the kit lens, it's the one that rivaled the primes and weighs in at 600 gms. Do you suppose it'll focus quickly and accurately enough, or is this pushing the adapter motor too hard?
The TechArt happily moves my 800gr Summarex back and forth, but it eats batteries.

Note: obviously, you have to support the lens ...

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Anyone tried setting their adapter to 135mm (F32) ?
When I do this my adapter seems to park at infinity, like I had selected F36, and won't AF anymore.
Setting it to another setting reactivates AF again and the adapter works as advertised.

Dropped Techart a note, but no reaction yet.
Thanks Bart. I get the same behavior. :banghead:

k-hawinkler

Late evening grocery shopping, having with me: Sony A7r2 + TECHART PRO LM-EA7 adapter + Leicaist MD-L/M adapter + MINOLTA MD 24-35/3.5 lens, focal length in Exif set to 24mm, IBIS ON, Auto, and AF in use, f/3.5.
He is slicing a sausage. She notices I am taking pictures of the store, walks over, puts her arm around him, and says:"Why don't you take a picture of us?"

What a great suggestion! Here it is.

100% resolution crop.

I will give them a couple of prints tomorrow.:D

scho

Finally, after waiting 3 months to get the LM-EA7 adapter and then waiting for my son to return from Germany with my A6300 I was ready today to try out the adapter using a Leica R 50 Cron via a Leicaist R to M adapter. Dialed in F25 to set the adapter for the lens and did some test shots (pouring rain outside of course). AF works fine and seems accurate. I don't know what version firmware I have on the adapter purchased direct from TechArt and don't know how to determine firmware version. I tried to do firmware update, but app cannot find the adapter and my iPhone bluetooth also cannot see the adapter. Any suggestions for resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Sample with the 50 Cron

Knorp

Finally, after waiting 3 months to get the LM-EA7 adapter and then waiting for my son to return from Germany with my A6300 I was ready today to try out the adapter using a Leica R 50 Cron via a Leicaist R to M adapter. Dialed in F25 to set the adapter for the lens and did some test shots (pouring rain outside of course). AF works fine and seems accurate. I don't know what version firmware I have on the adapter purchased direct from TechArt and don't know how to determine firmware version. I tried to do firmware update, but app cannot find the adapter and my iPhone bluetooth also cannot see the adapter. Any suggestions for resolving this issue would be appreciated.
It works in an odd way: did you set aperture to F90 ? fired a shot ? switched off the camera ? started the App ?

k-hawinkler

Hi Carl,

Firmware Version of the adapter is displayed in the camera menu for the lens.
It's displayed below the Firmware Version # for the camera itself.

Over at dpreview I am khaw. At

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4022147

you also will find how I eventually managed to successfully update the adapter.
Good luck!

Last edited:

scho

Thanks KH and Bart for the suggestions. I did try setting F90 and shutting off camera before trying update with no response. Firmware menu in the A6300 with adapter and 50 Cron mounted reads:

Body: ICLE-6300
Ver. 1.00

Lens
Ver. 03