The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto focus with anything!

k-hawinkler

One more image with Sony A7r2 + TECHART PRO LM-EA7 adapter + Leicaist MD-L/M adapter + MINOLTA MD 24-35/3.5 lens, focal length in Exif set to 24mm, IBIS ON, Auto, and AF in use, f/3.5.
It was getting dark and a few raindrops were already coming down. But we made it back to the car before the downpour started. :grin:
No problem with AF.

ISO 6400, 1/15 s, f/3.5, 24mm.

Techartpro wrote at Fredmiranda: "Since we are currently in discussion with a distributor in US, the product is temporary delisted from B&H. For the time being, please kindly order it via our webstore. Next delivery is in late Aug."
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1445543/14#13688530

Techart says shipping to the us takes 3-4 weeks. What would be quicker at this point, ordering from Techart direct or wait until the adapter is listed again at B&H?

V

Vivek

One more image with Sony A7r2 + TECHART PRO LM-EA7 adapter + Leicaist MD-L/M adapter + MINOLTA MD 24-35/3.5 lens, focal length in Exif set to 24mm, IBIS ON, Auto, and AF in use, f/3.5.
It was getting dark and a few raindrops were already coming down. But we made it back to the car before the downpour started. :grin:
No problem with AF.
K-H, the adapter stacks may be causing extra vignetting? It is not just vignetting but loss of defined image information in the extreme corners that could be a major problem.

scho

Three shots using the little M-Rokkors with the TechArt LM-EA7 on the A6300.

28mm f/2.8 M-Rokkor

40mm f/2 M-Rokkor

90mm f/4 M-Rokkor (Leitz version)

scho

Down by the tracks with the A6300 + LA-E7 + Leicaist R/M adapter + Leica R 50mm Summicron. The only train that still runs here comes up from Pennsylvania to deliver coal to a power plant on the east shore of Cayuga Lake and then returns after picking up salt at the salt mine just south of the power plant.

k-hawinkler

K-H, the adapter stacks may be causing extra vignetting? It is not just vignetting but loss of defined image information in the extreme corners that could be a major problem.
Thanks Vivek. Would you mind elaborating the next level of detail how this mechanism works? TIA.

scho

A few shots taken at Sheldrake Point vineyard using the A6300 + LA-E7.

Contax C/Y 25mm f/2.8 Distagon using generic c/y to M adapter ring.

CV 15mm SW f/4.5 Heliar III

Knorp

After two emails I tried my luck posting on their site using my best 'steenkolenengels' ...
Finally, got a reply from Kevin at TechArt on one of my emails:

The reason for the after-shoot MF of F/32 is because it is intended to be
a AF/MF switch. We are going to release an update soon for your to set
such function.
Seems 135mm lenses are not supported.

k-hawinkler

Finally, got a reply from Kevin at TechArt on one of my emails:

Seems 135mm lenses are not supported.
Thanks Bart. May be we the users collectively can convince them that 135mm lenses should be supported. :thumbs:

BTW, I just ordered a second TechArt Pro adapter for $349 from Adorama. It should arrive by Thursday this week. I can either use that as spare in case something bad happens to my current one. Or I could use one on my A7r2 and the other one on my a6300. :D

The following image was shot with Sony A7r2 + TECHART LM-EA7 AF adapter + Nikon-L/M K&F CONCEPT adapter + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ f/1.2 in pretty dim light.

This is the kind of situation the lens was really designed for.

I used AF-C and Flexible Spot: S and put the tiny square wire frame on the nearest eye.
The TechArt FL I set to 50mm.
IBIS was ON and set to Manual, FL set to 60mm.
So 50mm should show up in the Exif, but 60mm is used in IBIS.

Last edited:

Knorp

I used AF-C and Flexible Spot: S and put the tiny square wire frame on the nearest eye.
Lens: DT 40mm F2.8 SAM Shot at 50 mm

Mmm, you may have another problem here, K-H .... :p

V

Vivek

Thanks Bart. May be we the users collectively can convince them that 135mm lenses should be supported. :thumbs:

BTW, I just ordered a second TechArt Pro adapter for $349 from Adorama. It should arrive by Thursday this week. I can either use that as spare in case something bad happens to my current one. Or I could use one on my A7r2 and the other one on my a6300. :D

The following image was shot with Sony A7r2 + TECHART LM-EA7 AF adapter + Nikon-L/M K&F CONCEPT adapter + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ f/1.2 in pretty dim light.

This is the kind of situation the lens was really designed for.

Poster shot for the adapter! :)

k-hawinkler

Poster shot for the adapter! :)
Thanks Vivek.
I agree, a poster shot for the adapters, the lens, and the camera! :thumbup:

I could not have pulled off this shot without AF and IBIS.
With Flexible Spot: S one gets just one tiny (fits within the eye in the EVF) white wireframe square that turns green when focus is achieved. Then push the shutter button all the way down and voilà the lens and camera do the rest.

The Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 lens is very special for this. It's Nikon's first lens with an aspherical element, shaped by hand, to avoid or minimize sagittal coma flare.

V

Vivek

SPAM alert!

The techart guys send spam on a certain thin filter mods claiming that it works better!

k-hawinkler

Re: SPAM alert!

The techart guys send spam on a certain thin filter mods claiming that it works better!
Thanks Vivek, I saw that.

Well, yup my Summicron 28/2 and Elmarit 28/2.8 in particular wouldn't smear their image corners. But I don't think the TAP autofocusing would be any different with a Kolari modified A7r2. :grin:

Hi Vivek and K-H,

It may be spam in the sense that the e-mail arrived uninvited, but I'd consider the Kolari mod very seriously to go with TAP. I don't see how the sensor mod could possibly make any difference in the adapter's performance, but it does firm up the corners considerably with a number of lenses in the 28-50mm range. The TAP for AF and Kolari mod for corner sharpness should be two complementary ways of improving Leica-Sony image quality.

My adapter is shipping now, so I don't have experience using the combination; but I have both stock and Kolari-modified A7rIIs and have tested them carefully with a number of Leica lenses. The mod offers some real differences in corner resolution, almost always one stop and maybe two stops wider aperture for acceptable work.

It does not, I should say, rehabilitate all moderate wides, even when stopped down – the 28 Summicron, for example, still has sloppy corners at medium apertures.

But the mod improves the 35 Cron V4 noticeably at f2-4, and the 40 Cron (a fave of mine) covers very well with firm corners. Some lenses, like the compact 50 Elmar that does poorly on Sony, get a new life. And my 5cm 1.4 Nikkor becomes usable with the mod, with its characteristic low-contrast glow at f1.4-2.

What surprised me most is that I could see a bit of corner improvement with the WATE and MATE! I'd really not expected this, because they're retrofocus lenses with the rear element much farther from the sensor. Improvement was slight bit detectable at 100%.

OK, it was spam, but 'good spam' to my eye.

Kirk

Last edited: