The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto focus with anything!

I use the combination Techart+Kolari mod on a A7II, dedicated to non native lens only (mainly Leica M) , and I am very happy with that. On the A7II the Kolari modification also removes the AA filter and this in theory may positively affect the AF performance too. I do not have any unmodified A7II so I am not able to verify it.

k-hawinkler

Hi Vivek and K-H,

It may be spam in the sense that the e-mail arrived uninvited, but I'd consider the Kolari mod very seriously to go with TAP. I don't see how the sensor mod could possibly make any difference in the adapter's performance, but it does firm up the corners considerably with a number of lenses in the 28-50mm range. The TAP for AF and Kolari mod for corner sharpness should be two complementary ways of improving Leica-Sony image quality.

My adapter is shipping now, so I don't have experience using the combination; but I have both stock and Kolari-modified A7rIIs and have tested them carefully with a number of Leica lenses. The mod offers some real differences in corner resolution, almost always one stop and maybe two stops wider aperture for acceptable work.

It does not, I should say, rehabilitate all moderate wides, even when stopped down – the 28 Summicron, for example, still has sloppy corners at medium apertures.

But the mod improves the 35 Cron V4 noticeably at f2-4, and the 40 Cron (a fave of mine) covers very well with firm corners. Some lenses, like the compact 50 Elmar that does poorly on Sony, get a new life. And my 5cm 1.4 Nikkor becomes usable with the mod, with its characteristic low-contrast glow at f1.4-2.

What surprised me most is that I could see a bit of corner improvement with the WATE and MATE! I'd really not expected this, because they're retrofocus lenses with the rear element much farther from the sensor. Improvement was slight bit detectable at 100%.

OK, it was spam, but 'good spam' to my eye.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/55652-a7rii-leica-m-lenses-8.html#post669823

V

Vivek

OK, it was spam, but 'good spam' to my eye.
A $350 adapter purchase leading to the spam urging one to spend another $500 for a silly mod that gets rid the dust shaker and voids any warranty is good? :LOL:

I would either dump all the underperforming lenses and switch to E mount ones or dump the Sony and switch to Leica. The prices of which are not that bad compared to Sony.

A $350 adapter purchase leading to the spam urging one to spend another $500 for a silly mod that gets rid the dust shaker and voids any warranty is good? :LOL:

I would either dump all the underperforming lenses and switch to E mount ones or dump the Sony and switch to Leica. The prices of which are not that bad compared to Sony.
Vivek, the "dust shaker" is still working after the modification.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Ario. I forgot that Sony integrated the dust shaker in the sensor shake in the 7ii and 7r ii.

Perhaps you don't understand what you call underperforming lenses. We're taking about classic Mandler M designs and modern Karbe M lenses that offer more interesting renderings than AF Sony/Zeiss. And a wide range of other lenses can AF with TAP plus adapters (my personal choice = Zeiss C/Y). For those who shoot for fine art printing and not just for the web, the differences in the way these lenses render seem to be worth capturing.

As to recommending returning to Leica bodies, IMO you're suggesting the wrong direction here too. Many of us are using Leica M and R, and Zeiss C/Y, lenses on Sony A series because we've got rid of or avoided the current Leica bodies – the Ms with antique sensors, and the expensive and bulky new 'low-res' :D flagship SL.

IMO Sony A7rII is currently the best platform for classic lenses, and both the Kolari mod and TAP AF are welcome improvements. The result is IMO an interim system, obviously just cobbled together, that's a favorable option until these features emerge in an OEM camera.

Sorry to have to disagree so strongly! Where we agree is on the RX1rII for street work and as a constant companion camera – my favored replacement for M4-9.

Kirk

PS, Also agree with you that used Leica equipment, in comparison to Sony, isn't as expensive as it used to be. Since intro of A7 series and with lack of an up-to-date version of M, used Leica body and lens prices seem to have dropped precipitously.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Sorry to have to disagree so strongly!
+1 :)

I can not really express what I think about the out of date M lenses. Not worth (for me that is) screwing up a perfectly good Sony cam for these.

Leica themselves have updated, constantly updating their lens line up- the new Summicron 28/2 for example (because the old one does not cut it).

scho

Just received a Leicaist Canon FD to LM adapter and took a few shots using this adapter with a 28/2 and 300/4L, plus a couple with the Leica R 35-70 Vario-Elmar. All mounted to the A6300 with the LM-EA7 (v4) TechArtProAF adapter.

Canon FD 28/2

Leica R 35-70 Vario-Elmar f/4 macro at 35mm

Leica R 35-70 Vario-Elmar f/4 macro at 70mm

Canon FD 300mm f/4L (rough MF first and then AF)

k-hawinkler

Thanks Carl.

The Leicaist adapters seem to work well.
Well made and inexpensive.
I have two, Nikon to M and Minolta MD to M.
Thinking of getting Leica R to M as well from them.

k-hawinkler

The site is not updated yet.
Do you know what's new, K-H ?

TIA

Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock! - FM Forums, according to Fred Miranda, quote:

"Post icon p.36 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock! + 1

I just got this from Kevin at TechArt:

The main update for V4 is the focusing performance as well as reducing the
“down” time (sometimes the adapter will fail to move and need to re-insert
the battery to reboot)

Can you try using this updated app again? We have found that the previous
beta app may not work with some android phones..

http://techartpro.com/0831-LM-EA7-Config.apk

BTW: The above link is for the LM-EA7 'Configuration' app, where we should able to change pre-programmed aperture settings. The previous version I posted here was not working with my Android's device."

scho

I re-configured my TAP (V4) to add some additional focal lengths. Here are 3 shots using my Contax G trio (28, 45, and 90 mm all converted to M mount) and mounted to the A6300 with the TAP.

28 mm f/2.8 Biogon - Reasonably sharp on center but typical biogon corner softness,

45mm f/2 Planar - one of my favorite walkabout lenses and now with great autofocus,

90mm f/2.8 Sonnar - Sharp and light weight short tele.