The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25 coma test on A7R II

Pipefish

I'm now the proud owner of a Batis 25 (one of two people who own one in my country) >:-> and I've managed to do some tests. The lens is a beauty. The LED indicating focus distance and DOF is an eye-catcher, I think it's the first curious thing that people notice. The lens is fat but light. It's razor sharp from corner to corner -- at F2 -- based on preliminary tests I've done.

The 25 isn't coma free. It exhibits bat wing-like light aberrations especially when wide open, although they improve as you stop down starting at F2.8. The focus distance indicator is cool, although I hoped it was more precise -- the steps become bigger as the distance increases. An option for 0.1 unit increments across would have been nicer.

Here are some cropped photos to show the coma. I don't have star shots yet, but the city lights should give you an idea. The photos are uncorrected for distortion. Vignetting correction of 34% was applied in Lightroom. The full-size photos (42MP JPGs) are in this album.

F2:

F2.8:

F4:

F5.6:

Mkei

Hello,

After few months of searching and testing several copies of Batis 25 at Friday finally I got my own piece :).
(2 copies that I previously tested were weaker in sharpness (to F 2.8 - 3.5) from FE 28/2 which I also owned for several months.)

In my copy aberration is also present and closing the aperture to 2.8 actually almost solves the problem (so far).

After two days of shooting it is visible just in a few pictures.
(last few days weather is not so great in my region and maybe if there will be more sun problem starts to be more visible (for e.g photo with backlight or as shown by Pipefish night photography)).

The picture below shows the worst case scenario up to this moment.
Small jpg’s sooc with correctiosns on (Sony & Zeiss should do some upgrade for people doing photos in jpg, these images are not a particularly demanding):

Sony ILCE-7S
E 25mm F2
F2
1/100
ISO 100

Sony ILCE-7S
E 25mm F2
F2
1/160
ISO 125

Soon I'll try do some night shots for compare.
Link to Dropbox with raw & jpg:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8e6szl4psfua0za/AAAA4ikqqGnpmZFupxMEhJ7Ba?dl=0

From myself I will add that despite this issue I'm more than very happy with my purchase and I finally got a proper wide angle companion to my FE55 and 35 F2 on RX1.

Regards,
Michal

ps. English is not my native language so sorry if I made any mistakes.