The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1R mk II Light Leak Pictures

V

Vivek

Here is an example of light leak through the popped up EVF.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

ISO 16000, 1/3s, f/3.2, Processed normally via C1

A suitable filter was on the lens that blocks the right amount of ambient light while light from a 3w LED was being shone at the EVF.

Our Jim DE might ask what are the chances of such a capture and what does it prove? :LOL:

So, here is a dark frame capture (the lens was secured further with a thick wade of black cloth).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

As obtained and resized for web display.

I have requested Sony.nl if they would refund me in full when I return the camera and am awaiting a response.

V

Vivek

So much for being a beta tester. :(

[ I can't hold it any longer and am subscribing to diggiloyd so that I can make informed choices in the future! :ROTFL:

Should have listened to him as well on that Leica sensor problem. :p ]

k-hawinkler

So much for being a beta tester. :(

[ I can't hold it any longer and am subscribing to diggiloyd so that I can make informed choices in the future! :ROTFL:

Should have listened to him as well on that Leica sensor problem. :p ]

So Vivek, once you have your refund which camera will you get instead? Q? None?

V

Vivek

So Vivek, once you have your refund which camera will you get instead? Q? None?
IF I have a refund, I will post on that after having the cash in hand. :)

It is worthwhile to read what Fred posted here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1409115

If your camera serial is within the above range, I would send it in. If light passes through the EVF opening, dust could reach the sensor as well.
Also, there could be other 'silent' fixes.
There is absolute silence from Sony.nl! That is why I am asking for a refund.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Someone called Sony I think it was Fred and they are replacing them not repairing them. It's what they should be doing.

V

Vivek

Does the warranty period start afresh (they can't kill 2 months out of 12 in the US, can they?) ?

Last edited:

jim251

OK, my camera was in the problem batch and, when forced, also exhibited the light leak, although not to the degree that Vivek's pics show. I never saw any problem in normal use and hated returning it but do think it's the smart thing to do. I love the camera and like to think that the replacement will have been subjected to a serious bonus-round of QA testing as I'm sure Sony doesn't want this to happen again...

Vivek does asking for a refund mean that you regret your purchase and would like to get out from under it? I think that would surprise many here...

V

Vivek

Lack of light proofing, to me is a big let down, Jim.

How can Sony be considered reliable if they are not capable of achieving this fundamental requirement for a camera? Having opened up several cameras for IR, UV or monochrome modifications, I am quite aware of what is undeneath the skin. I can overlook the missing screws, lack chassis and such in a Sony camera but a light leak in a premium camera is a bit too much. As mentioned above, if there is light leak, there is no guarantee that dust will not see the sensor.

Guy Mancuso

Vivek my opinion wjich you can ignore and please take this in the right spirit given. Your crazy get the replacement . You loved the thing shot some great images with it . Why deny yourself that pleasure and imagery because they discovered a issue . All on there own I may add and turned around and doing exactly what they should. Replace all the affected units. Honestly we should be applauding them on doing the right thing on a missed issue on production. As you can tell they caught it and stopped production until they figured out the cause.

Anyway my friend you should get the replacement . Enjoy the hell out of it and certainly love the images and pleasure you have been getting out of it. You have seemed very happy with it till now. That's my thoughts

Please take all that as just a opinion.

k-hawinkler

Hi Vivek, I think Guy's advice is spot on! My 2 cents.
Look at the bright side. After all, Sony is owning up to this particular issue.

V

Vivek

Guy, K-H, I do value good wishes and well meant advice. There is no price on that! Thank you! Just as well, no one can buy enthusiasm and trust.

Sony have not responded to my emails as of now.:thumbdown: So, no, they are not owning up to anything as far as I am concerned. :(

Guy Mancuso

Might take a day or 2 to get everything in place with returns. Certainly can have something to do with location.

Vivek, you don't happen to have owned a Leica that ended up needing UV filters, do you? Or a new sensor?? :grin:

Kirk

PS, I've admired your RX1RII work!

Last edited:

Jim DE

Vivek I can understand your frustration. It's like buying a new car, enjoying it a lot then coming out of a store to find a big door ding in it. The enthusiasm goes out the window after that and no matter what everytime you look at the car you see the door ding first.

No excuse for Sony over there not responding to your inquiries. So you are sort of double downed on a issue not of your making. This would leave a bad taste in any customers mouth.

That said as Guy pointed out you really loved that camera prior to finding out about the light leak. I think I remember you stating it appeared to be the perfect camera for you or words to that effect. If it was the perfect camera with a unknown flaw just think how good it could be if Sony replaces the one you have with a new improved version without a light leak? But I do understand how the "glow" may if left this product for you.

We try and research products that fulfill our needs and wants, spend our money, but no matter how well we do the research there is always the issue of taking our chances with new product releases. Some one at Sony lost their job with good reason for this screw up I am sure but that does little to bring back a disappointed customers enthuesiasm. All a company can do it correct the issue and offer a replacement. They can't restore a customers glow of confidence.

Vivek you will have to do what makes you feel the best.... And only you can make that decision. I am truly sorry that this has happened to you... I don't like to see this sort of issue happen to anyone who buys any kind of newly manufactured products.

Guy Mancuso

Problem really is this stuff has hit every camera company at one time or another. Nikon, Leica , canon, Sony and the list goes on but I can't remember a company stopping production and fixing a issue without a grand scale of complaints and Internet sky is falling discussions. Actually this is pretty unique but yet once again we see another round of IQ issues within these companies. Some far worse than this or let's say the best solution yet is a full replacement. Even though I don't own this or have to deal with it wish is unfortunate for those affect. But I still have to give them some credit for doing the right thing and going forward it does give me more confidence in them about there customers value. Not saying it won't happen again but I like the response. I had 2 Leica M8 besides both of them spent 6 months in Germany getting fixed , it was flawed right out of the gate and the solution was 2 filters which was **** at the end of the day.