The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to adapt 120mm Nikon AM Large format lens to use with Hcam Master TS Setup

nikonf

Focusing Helicoid - to -Adapt - Nikkor AM 120mm to Canon EOS Mount

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Thank you very much,
Mike

Stefan Steib

Hi Mike

The Nikon is a copal 0 lens. Rodenstock makes Helicoids for this since many years.
I even have one that I don´t use anymore. The only thing to find out is the amount of flange focal distance with the helicoid for a canon Mount so it would fit from Infinity to closeup.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Attachments

Stefan Steib

These Helicoids are rare now and expensive - see this thread here.

$900 for a 4.4 oz. Rodenstock Apo Grandagon Helical Focus Mount! [Archive] - Large Format Photography Forum

The chinese helicoids on Ebay are an alternative but are either too small to take the thickness of the back lens,
too big
(see Gaoersi Brand New Gaoersi 6x17 6x15 6x12 Multi Large Format Panorama Camera | eBay

Lens Cone For Alpa 12TC 12STC 12SWA Portable Medium Format Camera Custom Made | eBay)

or not stable enough.

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

V

Vivek

I had one S-Planar 120mm f/5.6 housed inside a Micro nikkor 105/4 focus barrel. The lens you have is similar in dimension. So, it is very doable.

However, for the purpose you want to use it, why diddle around with several adapters and focus helicoids instead of using a Cambo? You can avoid vignetting and such issues with that.

Lars

I think you also need to ask yourself why you want to use this lens on 24x36mm.

With a 210 mm image circle the Nikon AM can capture lots of detail - if you use a larger format like 4x5" or possibly even 5x7". A 24x36 mm center crop might not give you that impressive performance compared to lenses made for the smaller format - just guessing here but for example any modern 100-120 mm FF macro lens will probably outperform the Nikon AM when it comes to MTF performance. And such a lens will probably cost less than the helicoid adapter.

I could see the use for the Nikon AM in a technical camera application witch copious amounts of shift, but since you are looking for a helicoid that's not the case here? Of course, the Nikon AM is a symmetrical design so it probably is apochromatic at close focusing range - is this why you want to adapt it?

Another thought - would you be OK with using a bellows instead? There are cheap Chinese bellows available that should be possible to adapt.

V

Vivek

Lars, At one point, when Nikon stopped producing LF lenses, this lens was sold for $350 or less. Many (Nikonistas)bought them and not necessarily for LF/view camera use. Not sure the provenance of nikonf's sample.