The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

V

Vivek

:facesmack:

I'd be worried (for us, as consumers) if Zeiss allowed Sony to brand a lens as Zeiss unless they had a hand in its design. It has T* coating, so Zeiss must have some involvement. I therefore very much doubt its a G Master in disguise
T* is also a brand name that can be bought. rx1R II' s EVF has T* coatings. :bugeyes:

Hulyss Bowman

I think those new Sony lenses are the first very serious and professional FE lenses (with the 35f1.4 and the 90). They put the last Leïca zoom to shame, big time. I might say they will be superior to the Leïca equivalent.

Now you guys just need a real FE pro body to match with it. Don't tell me the A7RmkII make the grade ... it don't. My little finger tell me there is maybe a new FE body soon.

Quentin_Bargate

T* is also a brand name that can be bought. rx1R II' s EVF has T* coatings. :bugeyes:
Everything is for sale. Thats not to say Zeiss would not insist on involvement.

What surprises me about the whole G Master exercise - other than the dreadful comic book hero name, that is ;) - is Zeiss now become the mid-range lens choice, not the top of the range they like to be. Imagine the conversation "gee, I'd love to buy that G Master lens, but I'm going to have to make do with the Zeiss..." !

My entirely uninformed guess about this is that Sony might have thought (rightly in my view) that some Zeiss lenses for E-mount are over priced and frankly mediocre. Sony must have felt they could do better and that the mount was being held back by Zeiss with lenses like the 24-70 F/4. Sure Zeiss could up their game but the cost would be too high.

Also, Sony as a major innovator would not want to be dependent on a third party to make its premium lens range. Still, Zeiss have been useful to Sony, adding credibilty and some breadth to their lineup.

Some Zeiss e mount lenses are excellent, of course but not enough and nor are they under Sony control.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think those new Sony lenses are the first very serious and professional FE lenses (with the 35f1.4 and the 90). They put the last Leïca zoom to shame, big time. I might say they will be superior to the Leïca equivalent.

Now you guys just need a real FE pro body to match with it. Don't tell me the A7RmkII make the grade ... it don't. My little finger tell me there is maybe a new FE body soon.
Have exactly the same feelings and finally Sony sets the right step the need. I do hope that FE-Pro body will show up soon!

Everything is for sale. Thats not to say Zeiss would not insist on involvement.

What surprises me about the whole G Master exercise - other than the dreadful comic book hero name, that is ;) - is Zeiss now become the mid-range lens choice, not the top of the range they like to be. Imagine the conversation "gee, I'd love to buy that G Master lens, but I'm going to have to make do with the Zeiss..." !

My entirely uninformed guess about this is that Sony might have thought (rightly in my view) that some Zeiss lenses for E-mount are over priced and frankly mediocre. Sony must have felt they could do better and that the mount was being held back by Zeiss with lenses like the 24-70 F/4. Sure Zeiss could up their game but the cost would be too high.

Also, Sony as a major innovator would not want to be dependent on a third party to make its premium lens range. Still, Zeiss have been useful to Sony, adding credibilty and some breadth to their lineup.

Some Zeiss e mount lenses are excellent, of course but not enough and nor are they under Sony control.
True but remember the "Mediocre Sony Zeiss" branded lenses (assume we mean the 24-70) aren't really Zeiss they're designed by Sony with support from Zeiss but made and built by Sony in their factories, the "good" Zeiss E-Mount glass like the Batis and Loxia lines are entirely Zeiss developed and built in their factory in Japan, so frankly it would appear that maybe Sony is the weak link in that partnership if the Zeiss standalone stuff is so much better.

Good article here about the Zeiss/Sony partnership Sony and ZEISS: What photographers should know about the partnership - LENSPIRE - The new ZEISS photography platform

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Sorry disagree it works for me with no real issues. Could it be better, sure everything can but I'm serving clients very well with the A7rII.

Frankly not directed at you but I am so sick of hearing I shoot a complete piece of **** system. My reply at this point and I'm the nicest guy around but people can just **** off. It's pathetic what I read anymore.

I'm not here to protect Sony or be there fan boy at all but the god damn thing gets the job done.

Enjoy the Super Bowl. I'm out of here

I'm not referring to anyone here or even this forum. The whole industry has a stick up there butt about Sony. Frankly like to retire from all this silly stuff. It's gear and I need to work.end of story

Hulyss Bowman

Do not be sorry :) Just try a Leica SL and then you have what should be a pro Sony mirror less body. I got both in hands and damn, the Leica is a dream machine. It is just straight forward. The Sony is far from it in term of aptic. If Sony try hard to "simplify" the next body then we have a winner (imo).
And I think we all agree that it should not be that much complicated to simplify a sony camera (menu ???).

So you do not shoot a piece of garbage, at all. You just shoot something who can be improved by simplification.

Ofc I do not speak about the sensor, IQ of whatever. I just speak about the feeling in hands.

k-hawinkler

Well, I agree with some of your sentiments but consider the A7r2 so far the best camera I ever bought for my photographic interests.

I find the A7r2 excellent to use with my Leica R lenses, the Leica M WATE 16-18-21/4, and the native FE lenses I got so far, namely Batis 25/2, FE 35/2.8 (apparently a good copy), Mitakon 50/0.95 (surprisingly useful even at f/0.95 and f/1.4 and sharp, corner to corner at f/8), FE 55/1.8, and FE 90/2.8 MACRO G. The new Sony lenses certainly are of great interest to me, provided they live up to expectations. No doubt, pretty soon comparisons will be available of the new FE 85/1.4 GM with the Batis 85/1.8 and FE 90/2.8 MACRO G. I am also curious how it compares to the Summilux-R 80/1.4. :thumbs:

For AF lenses I personally prefer optical excellence over smaller size. Comparing the A7r2 to my D800E size-wise I have no problem carrying and shooting the A7r2 with one hand and steadied against my forehead. That's in contrast to handling the D800E. So, I hope a professional grade A8 or A9 or whatever they call it doesn't grow too much in size and weight over the A7r2.

Now that Sony has announced their GM lens line in the way they did, it would be surprising if a new A7 type FE camera wouldn't be forth coming in relatively short order. I hope it'll beat the Leica SL in all remaining important aspects. The A7r2 already does for many features of interest to me.

Hulyss Bowman

Now that Sony has announced their GM lens line in the way they did, it would be surprising if a new A7 type FE camera wouldn't be forth coming in relatively short order. I hope it'll beat the Leica SL in all remaining important aspects. The A7r2 already does for many features of interest to me.
I agree with you. AF, IQ and video wise, the A7 beat the SL big time. I just speak about the remaining points who are very important for me.

iiiNelson

Sorry, but things aren't so simple. Each time a product comes out, other possibilities are cancelled or delayed for later. So it isn't about not buying what you don't like. It is about not being able to buy what you would like.

How much sense does it make to produce lenses for a sensor and a body (A8 or A9) that doesn't exist yet?...
With all due respect Anna T, it's called "future proofing." It's okay to design and release lenses for unreleased cameras or sensor designs. That's not Sony exclusive... The whole industry seems to be doing that from Schneider with their Blue Ring Design lenses and Leica S lenses for Medium Format cameras to Zeiss with the Otus line or Sigma with the Art/Sports series. Everyone is preparing for the sensor revolution that began a few years back with the release of the D800/A7R and the Sony MF CMOS Sensors in the Phase/Hasselblad/Pentax/Leaf/ Rumored Fuji MF cameras.

Seriously though life's too short to remain unhappy with a camera system that doesn't offer what you desire. If speed isn't as important as size to you then there are some extremely good Micro 4/3 and Fuji cameras/lenses available. You aren't going to get around the physics issues and this is made even more true if you expect AF. For instance compare the size of a 50 Summilux M and the 50 Summilux TL that's going to come out for the Leica SL... I'd bet it'll be a similar size to the Sony FE 35/1.4 Distagon when it's released.

When you future proof and add AF you're going to get a large lens despite the body size. I usually shoot with the external grips personally and have large hands so I'm less worried about size and I think most people care most of all about optical quality and speed than size. Gone are the days where I want to own 3-50's, 2-35's, a fast medium portrait, and fast long telephoto, and a few wide primes. If I can get by with one fast character lens in each focal length I commonly shoot and fast zooms to cover the less important focal lengths I won't complain. The multiple 50's and 35's were the compact travel lens, the fast lens, and the look lens if it weren't covered in the others.

iiiNelson

Do not be sorry :) Just try a Leica SL and then you have what should be a pro Sony mirror less body. I got both in hands and damn, the Leica is a dream machine. It is just straight forward. The Sony is far from it in term of aptic. If Sony try hard to "simplify" the next body then we have a winner (imo).
And I think we all agree that it should not be that much complicated to simplify a sony camera (menu ???).

So you do not shoot a piece of garbage, at all. You just shoot something who can be improved by simplification.

Ofc I do not speak about the sensor, IQ of whatever. I just speak about the feeling in hands.
With respect and not to be a Sony apologist, but it's significantly easier to live with a Sony FE body than it is to try out in the store. How many feel about Sony menu's is how I felt about Nikon menu's when I cross shopped the D800e. This was before I bought the A7/A7R with the caveat that I never owned a Nikon and I was coming from years of shooting Leica, Panasonic, Sony, and Canon cameras. The reality is that once you setup your quick menus there's little reason to ever head into the menu when living with a Sony except to format SD cards more often than not.

I don't doubt the Leica SL is a great camera to live with. I held one in the Leica DC store on a couple of occasions but I long sold off my Leica lenses plus I really have no desire to switch systems unless it's a move to Medium Format. No other 35mm based system interests me as much as the Sony FE system and one available lens does not make a system. Yet I see many of the same people justify/applaud Leica's actions/strategy for doing what they criticized Sony for when they released the FE system with 3-5 lenses within the first few months.

The irony is that we are having this Leica system conversation in a Sony forum where people are complaining about the limited lens selection. I think a Sony FE Pro system that focuses primarily on still photography is all I really dream of. Maybe a 30MP A9 and a 50+MP A9R... Or a 30MP A9Mono. Either way I don't care about video but maximum IQ for stills would be great and some additional TTL lighting support from 3rd Party vendors (along with standard ports as fotografz mentioned in an earlier post) would be nice

Lucille

I agree with you. AF, IQ and video wise, the A7 beat the SL big time. I just speak about the remaining points who are very important for me.

And whats important for you, might not be important for me or others. Here's a clue, we are all different.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Buying a sexy feeling camera is absolutely the worst Pro purchase there is not to mention the money value proposition . No chance in hell would I even think about buying one. This is not glam. But hard work drawing the best IQ I can get.the SL at 24mpx is like shooting a iPhone to me. I can't believe as a Pro would even mention it in a ROI endeavor . Especially to me.

After 40 years as a working Pro spending enormous amount of money for a underwhelming file is not worth the costs. I like Leica but the SL is not the cam for me maybe a S. This is not about holding a instrument in my hand but a tool that is cost effective produces amazing imagery and gives me a profit.

Last edited:

Jim DE

The best thing about these transient mudslinger's and their negative comments about Sony and it's hardware is that it seems to be building a united Sony users group to tell these transients to pack sand!!!!

Nice to know I am not the only one fed up with their games!!!! One would of thought the data in DXOMark would do all the talking for us but I guess some people just enjoy arguing from bad ground and looking foolish in another persons home.

iiiNelson

The best thing about these transient mudslinger's and their negative comments about Sony and it's hardware is that it seems to be building a united Sony users group to tell these transients to pack sand!!!!

Nice to know I am not the only one fed up with their games!!!! One would of thought the data in DXOMark would do all the talking for us but I guess some people just enjoy arguing from bad ground and looking foolish in another persons home.
DXOMark tests will get thrown around again once their brand of choice has a marginal advantage again over the marginal sensor advantage that Sony enjoys over the Nikon D810 (which had a marginal advantage over the A7R.)

Don't worry that day will come again and we will be reminded of our inferior choices (in condescending tones) of how cameras are tools yet emotional connection is more important than image quality (when it suits their argument.) Technical prowess is important but only when their camera brand of choice is the most technically advanced camera. If Sony happens to have the most technically camera then it's only because they're and electronics company building gadgets... Oh and they should tap into the camera know how of the failed Konica Minolta brand that they bought at a bargain because they didn't keep up with the market direction.

I think that covers it.

iiiNelson

Tre, You missed the poor battery performance. :lecture:
You're correct sir and the recommendation for Sony to make up get rid of the compact batteries (that are on sale often) that we've used since the original NEX-5.