The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

k-hawinkler

4 Sony cameras - 9 batteries! :facesmack: :banghead:
Repeat after me:
NO NEW BATTERIES! NO NEW BATTERIES! NO NEW BATTERIES!
:LOL: :ROTFL: :LOL:

jfirneno

Jorgen:
It turns out you are right and I am wrong. GetDPI Sony forum enjoys your fascinating and and in no way repetitive posts. Unfortunately I have a defect that makes it impossible for me to enjoy this wisdom. Adios folks and enjoy the show.
Well maybe I was wrong when I said I was wrong. It seems a few folks feel about the same as I do. I guess it all depends on what you think is appropriate. But I've figured out my own solution. I've availed myself of the ignore function for a few folks. From now on you can call Sony the devil for all I care. Ignorance is bliss.

Mark K

Absolutely zero interest in large, heavy and extremely expensive 2.8 zooms. I don't care how good they are.
For too long I carried the heft of Canon and Sony Alpha A mount Cameras and lenses. My photography hasn't changed, I've just decided small and light is the way I want to go.

Portraiture is a particular area I take a lot of images in, I may compromise and take a serious look at the 85G. But it would want to be absolutely spectacular and ooze character for me to move from my MF primes. The f/1.4 is an absolute waste for this purpose, f/3.2 is the sweet spot for what I need @85mm, other than that everything else shot at wider apertures is purely for area isolation.

Others may have a need for it and I'm happy that Sony has come to the table with quality glass that meets their requirements.
I on the other hand feel neglected, the 35 f/2.8 & 55 f/1.8 showed what could be achieved in a small compact FF Lens changeable system, they seem to have shifted the goal posts.

So now the wait continues ....
To me, autofocus, and sharpness at f1.4 are essential features. Not sure how good 85 is so I have to wait until reviews come out.

dandrewk

Now you guys just need a real FE pro body to match with it. Don't tell me the A7RmkII make the grade ... it don't. My little finger tell me there is maybe a new FE body soon.
It's nice that you like the Leica, that it works for you in ways the Sony mirrorless cams do not.

However, when you claim it isn's a "real" pro body, I doubt many will agree with you. Sorry, there are WAY too many working pros who are doing quite well with Sony.

fotografz

So, I hope a professional grade A8 or A9 or whatever they call it doesn't grow too much in size and weight over the A7r2.

Now that Sony has announced their GM lens line in the way they did, it would be surprising if a new A7 type FE camera wouldn't be forth coming in relatively short order. I hope it'll beat the Leica SL in all remaining important aspects. The A7r2 already does for many features of interest to me.
What would distinguish the next A camera as "professional grade"?

Other than the viewfinder, what aspects of the Leica SL will the next Sony A camera need to exceed?

- Marc

k-hawinkler

What would distinguish the next A camera as "professional grade"?

Other than the viewfinder, what aspects of the Leica SL will the next Sony A camera need to exceed?

- Marc

Thanks Mark. I personally don't pay any significance to the term "professional grade".
I simply used that term as it was used earlier in this thread. That's all.
My A7r2 is certainly a very fine camera.

Besides a better viewfinder all the things the A7r2 already is better at.
I certainly would hope the next A* increases overall speed and IQ as well.
USB3, larger and faster buffers to match the speed of really fast memory cards.
Better tracking, a refined user interface, similar size and weight as A7r2, etc. ... . :)

Mark, what would you like to see? TIA.

fotografz

Thanks Mark. I personally don't pay any significance to the term "professional grade".
I simply used that term as it was used earlier in this thread. That's all.
My A7r2 is certainly a very fine camera.

Besides a better viewfinder all the things the A7r2 already is better at.
I certainly would hope the next A* increases overall speed and IQ as well.
USB3, larger and faster buffers to match the speed of really fast memory cards.
Better tracking, a refined user interface, similar size and weight as A7r2, etc. ... . :)

Mark, what would you like to see? TIA.
I think "Professional" is a moving target, dependent on the profession. There are some common aspects I'd like to see in a higher spec A7R-III or A8 (or whatever).

However, one disconcerting thing about Sony is the constant half-done cameras pouring out of them at a bankrupting rate. Professional implies "for profit", and I'd like to see the next A7/8 be more complete upon launch so I could use it for awhile without feeling it was short on something needed, only to have the next one address it (like the A7R and A7R-II) ... thus forcing one into the sell/buy and learn a new camera mode every 1 to 2 years or so.

Most Pro cameras are the flagship work-horses ... perhaps less profitable for the camera maker, but more their innovation and image leader.

Like you, I'd like to see a larger/faster buffer.

Last wedding with the A7R-II, I kept running into wait time to review my last shot. It was an accumulative issue with the buffer and clear time. Fast card didn't help.

Definitely like to see a dual SD card ability in a pro spec A7-III/A8, even if the camera gets a wee bit bigger.

SD cards make me nervous because they are harder to recover than CFs if corrupted. The Leica S and SL has dual card capacity, so did my Sony A99 and every Canon or Nikon I ever used for paying work. Dual cards saved me more than once.

Some way to increase battery life ... either a more effective battery, or better power management of the camera ... ideally both. "Is that a pocket full of batteries, or are you just happy to see me?" :ROTFL:

One idea that occurred to me was a relatively thin 1/2" or 3/4" deep accessory bottom attachment (rather than the big grip) that just housed a long thin Lithium battery for extended use. That way, the camera itself need not get bigger all the time, just a little bigger when you need it. If Sony made this I'd buy two in a New York nano second.

The biggest improvement IMO would address the interface, which in my experience is the absolute worst in the business.

Sony defenders often brush this off, but it is the elephant in the room. Almost any pro work has stress attached to it, and the focus HAS to be on what is in front of the camera, and 12" behind it, NOT the camera's demanding ergonomics and interface. Darned Sonys are like a little kid constantly demanding attention from a busy parent.

Speaking of a kid, Sony could hire a 6 year old who could design a better organized menu :banghead:

BTW, The Leica interface murders Sony.

- Marc

Oh, forgot to add addressing the lighting issues with Sony. Put a PC port on the camera please. Make a radio speed-light please. Get Profoto to make a TTL transmitter for Sony please.

Hulyss Bowman

You guys put a lot of emotions on this tool !

When I compare with the SL it is only the simplicity, button layout. The SL feel more durable (by far) than the 7RmkII. I'm sure Sony can do the same and they will. If you follow what Sony engineers say, they want to make lenses who last forever (no marketing attended lol). I trust them when I see the last lenses, when I see the 90 macro.

The 85f1.4 is a jewel.

As a Nikon shooter here is my definition of "professional" : Military grade. Same in computer components. Military grade mean simple, straight forward, simple to use without any bells and whistles, extremely resilient so no flip flop screen. Less angular shape, less heterogeneity between the grip and the body, more mono-bloc. And yes, a little bigger battery but that's extra.

Visually speaking, the new G master lenses melt perfectly with the SL body simplicity and not that much with the A7.

Ho and do not tell me a "large amount of working pros" use the Sony system. I never seen yet a working pro with a Sony system, only 5 years ago in a meeting I seen someone with an A850 and that about all.

A large amount of forumers yes, no doubts. Some working pros, yes, no doubt, but I never seen one yet and photography is my job. Maybe in US ?? ...

V

Vivek

On the Nikon D5/500 thread lot of interesting stuff was spewed out.

Hyulyss, Buy another D700 before that rare Japan made pro camera with OVF becomes unattainable.

Quentin_Bargate

You guys put a lot of emotions on this tool !

Ho and do not tell me a "large amount of working pros" use the Sony system. I never seen yet a working pro with a Sony system...

A large amount of forumers yes, no doubts. Some working pros, yes, no doubt, but I never seen one yet and photography is my job. Maybe in US ?? ...
Jason Lanier would be one example.

Slingers

I used to feel like I needed to defend Sony mirrorless cameras from the demeaning attacks/trolls when it felt like there only a few of us using them a couple of years ago before the A7 cameras.

However I've stopped as I feel the images I see people produce from all the a7 series cameras do all of the talking needed.

Hulyss Bowman

On the Nikon D5/500 thread lot of interesting stuff was spewed out.

Hulyss, Buy another D700 before that rare Japan made pro camera with OVF becomes unattainable.
The D5/D500 sensors are surprisingly good even without Sony tech ;) And my D700 have been serviced so he is ok for many more years. I'm a working pro and there is a VERY good reason why I continue to use this camera.

Jason Lanier would be one example.
I said working pro not Sony sponsored "artisan" "who travelled the world ;) If only 2% of the working pros was able to travel the world ...

However I've stopped as I feel the images I see people produce from all the a7 series cameras do all of the talking needed.
Yes you are right, the photographer make the photo, whatever the tool he use :)

Ho and I'm using A7r with 24-70f4, 90 macro and so on... Can't say I'm a Sony hater.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
funny not one person here that has a opposing view of Sony owns the new A7rII but basing there comments off the A7r.

That speaks volumes. Now if we don't get back to the thread title immediately I'll close this thread. Truth be told I lost a lot of respect for some here when it's full of other brand loyalty. Frankly it's pretty sad. For the record I sold my Nikon stuff because I could not stand that piece of **** anymore but yet I have never said that in any Nikon forum, Sony forum or anywhere else. When I see these posts to me it's people running scared.

Honestly I'm about to walk away from all this pathetic posturing for good. It's so sad a brand just can't speak for itself and its own merit.

What's even more sad is to see what I helped start here with this forum turn into this stuff. Not sure what to say about that buts it's on every brand now.

Hulyss Bowman

Keep calm Guy, you miss the subject. I do not bash Sony and I do not think anybody is (really) bashing Sony here. I would be the first to invest further in Sony, especially with the new lenses. I simply say that for 3500 $ I wait more in ruggedness and simplicity than the A7rII and I'm not aggressive nor alone.

And I consider brand loyalty as a childish behaviour especially coming from ppl who have far more experience in photography than me.

pegelli

Totally off-topic with regard to the lenses, but I had to get this off my chest.

With all due respect to the people who use it I find this talk and use of the ignore list a bit over the top.

I also know members here and on other fora who's opinions I respect more (or less) but even contrary opinions are useful to sharpen your own mind.
There's no need to react to everything you don't agree with, and who knows, the next time a person you have on your ignore list posts something useful and you don't see it.
I know very few people who are always wrong or always right.

So putting people on your ignore list is in my mind is your own loss, and if certain posts are better ignored the scroll wheel is your best friend.

I hope I don't step on too many toes with this post ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
First off don't ever tell me to be calm. I'm as calm a person as anyone and I am by far not a Sony fanboy at all. Far from it I'll sell a complete system on a dime if there is something better. Ask anyone here they have seen me do it admittedly far to often. What's pissing me off though is this thread is about new release lenses and no one is talking about that in this thread for at least 50 posts. Get back on topic. You like Nikon go post there , you like Leica go post there but I see very few if any Sony users go posting on there forums and ripping there product to shreds.

That's my last comment on this thread.

It's end now. Get back on topic

V

Vivek

I am most likely to get the 85/1.4 GM. The size would be fine for a portrait lens.

CSP

what i wonder is if better and sharper lenses with more contrast wide open also improve af accuracy with the a7 cameras ? i have not done a test
but i do shoot the canon 70-200 2,8 II side by side with the sony 70-200 a lot and i got the impression that the canon zoom via metabones is slower but more accurate than
the sony lens especially at the long end.

Jim DE

HB you have you right to your opinion as we do ours but we don't go over to your house to tell you our opinions what make you think it is ok to come over and dump yours in our house. I aways was taught to be courteous and respectful when visiting someone else's home.

Do you think by telling us we are childish for defending our tools we are going to be receptive to anything you say or your opinions?

If you are only going to come to the Sony forum to state these type opinions my opinion is don't go away angry just go away..... Use whatever you or the others who come here for the same purpose want to use and I personally hope Sony never makes what you guys want and you buy it and come here permanently. We don't need the attitudes! There is a segment of people in photography who have themselves held so high up above the rest that they actually believe their own bs and think others care what their opinions are.... We don't!!!! Keep the negative crap to yourselves and we will enjoy what we decide to use without anyone else's assistance. I have been tripping shutters since the early 60's I don't need anyone's opinion on what feels right for me to use.

If you or the others don't like something or anything about a Sony product then please don't buy it... That is the only opinion that matters. We really don't care why you don't and care less to hear your reasonings as to why. The only opinion that matters is what a individual decides is best for them to use and we state that with our wallets. How about respecting that when in our house?