The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A 6300

mazor

Yes, this is the killer upgrade that many have missed or ignored. The a6300 will essentially provide the same fast PDAF with adapted A-mount, Canon EF, Contax G and soon Leica M (with the upcoming TechArt adapter) that the a7RII does today.
hmm I would like to see AF using Leica M lenses. Is it even possible, thought those lenses were pure manual lenses.

mazor

Disclaimer: Jim DE, you can skip anwering to this post. ;)

Does anyone know if the 14 bit RAW output is the usual lossy or lossless RAW?
ditto to that question. I think the a6300 could make a good alternative for those who do not like the a7 DSLR like formfactor in favor or a rangefinder formfactor with a Speed booster of course.

raist3d

Edit: Wait, where's the latest bsi tech? I was really hoping it would show up on their aps-c range.
BSI only works for high density sensors. Note that this new sensor has copper wiring for speed and better noise reduction (better S/N ratio).

- Ricardo.

raist3d

"Wow" indeed. /sarcasm

Most over-hyped release ever. $1000 for what amounts to an A6000 that adds 4K. Where's the 5-axis IBIS? BSI sensor? Touch screen?

Wake me up when Sony releases a real update to the A6000. :sleep:
You don't need a BSI sensor. BSI benefits when the sensor is high density. Note the new sensor uses copper wiring which is new (faster; better S/N noise ratio = better ISO/image quality).

IBIS won't fit in this size for APS-C and it's not an essential feature particularly when you have some zooms and even primes in the line with OIS.

Sony is adding more than "just 4k"-

- What looks to be world class leading AF in this price range and then some
- Better sensor tech/image quality
- Faster FPS including 8fps with continuous live stream - that's a first.
- Better battery life than the A6000 with the same battery - that's great. Always welcome in power hungry mirrorless (everywhere).
- Little level for MF/AF- that seems small but I really appreciate that as ergonomics go.
- EVF 2x resolution
- EVF can do a 120fps refresh rate as an option (that's also a first). I am sure that drains the battery faster but if you are shooting action this is welcome.

What I would like to know is if the 14-bit RAW files are lossy compressed or lossless compress or uncompressed.

- Ricardo

Annna T

You don't need a BSI sensor. BSI benefits when the sensor is high density. Note the new sensor uses copper wiring which is new (faster; better S/N noise ratio = better ISO/image quality).

IBIS won't fit in this size for APS-C and it's not an essential feature particularly when you have some zooms and even primes in the line with OIS.

Sony is adding more than "just 4k"-

- What looks to be world class leading AF in this price range and then some
- Better sensor tech/image quality
- Faster FPS including 8fps with continuous live stream - that's a first.
- Better battery life than the A6000 with the same battery - that's great. Always welcome in power hungry mirrorless (everywhere).
- Little level for MF/AF- that seems small but I really appreciate that as ergonomics go.
- EVF 2x resolution
- EVF can do a 120fps refresh rate as an option (that's also a first). I am sure that drains the battery faster but if you are shooting action this is welcome.

What I would like to know is if the 14-bit RAW files are lossy compressed or lossless compress or uncompressed.

- Ricardo
120fps refresh rate of the EVF will come at the cost of a lower resolution. It is made for those who wants/need much faster reaction time (decisive moment etc..) but not well suited for MF, where you want the magnifier to show all the resolution that can be had. I'm not sure about battery life .. never use that fast setting on the A7r A7rm2. But doesn't the A7rm2 have the same 120fps refresh rate ?

jim251

The new lenses are not for me but I'm starting to look seriously at this camera. I would probably permanently strap it to my FE70-200 f/4 just for the AF&FPS performance with fast-moving targets. Hummingbirds oh-yeah, runners, bikers, race cars... The 8fps w/ continuous live view could be great for my purposes.

Am still curious about buffer depth and whether silent shooting has the same 14-12 bit gotcha as the a7rm2 but we'll find that out soon enough. Form-factor remains great - I rented an A6000 twice and really liked it.

frozenbb

BSI only works for high density sensors. Note that this new sensor has copper wiring for speed and better noise reduction (better S/N ratio).

- Ricardo.
Fair enough about the new copper wiring leading to better SNR - this is of course what we're after. But where did everyone get the idea that the A7RII (with BSI) has a higher pixel density than the A6300? If the A7RII has a high enough pixel density or small enough pixel pitch to take advantage of BSI, surely the A6300 does as well!

Here's an overview of the matter:

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Sony-A6000-Sony-A7R-II.html

One way or the other, I know that all of us would like to have a unit in hand to SEE what this little cam is capable of!

Rawfa

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the speedbooster and other focal reducers use contrast AF instead of phase detect AF at the moment? Well, I don't know if anyone noticed but the A6300 has 169 contrast AF points against the A6000's 25...in theory even if the current speedbooster and other focal reducers DON'T support PDAF, there should be a significant performance in AF. Is this right or am I talking non sense?

mazor

120fps refresh rate of the EVF will come at the cost of a lower resolution. It is made for those who wants/need much faster reaction time (decisive moment etc..) but not well suited for MF, where you want the magnifier to show all the resolution that can be had. I'm not sure about battery life .. never use that fast setting on the A7r A7rm2. But doesn't the A7rm2 have the same 120fps refresh rate ?
The question begs then is the 120fps evf refresh a user controlled "option" or is it permanently enabled on the a6300? It would be sad to not be able to use 120fps and 2Mp EVF simultaneously.

Also on my wishlist for the next a6000 series camera is an articulating EVF similar to the Gx8

mazor

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the speedbooster and other focal reducers use contrast AF instead of phase detect AF at the moment? Well, I don't know if anyone noticed but the A6300 has 169 contrast AF points against the A6000's 25...in theory even if the current speedbooster and other focal reducers DON'T support PDAF, there should be a significant performance in AF. Is this right or am I talking non sense?
The speedboosters to my knowledge do only support CDAF autofocus. which literally allows the camera to communicate to the focus motors on EF lenses to rack back and forth. It will be up to metabones to bring out a firmware update to allow for a more seemless PDAF experience, similar to what they did with metabones iv smart adapter when the a7ii was released with in built PDAF.

The additional CDAF points will improve the focus area and possibly precison for small focus point selection, but will not necessarily improve the AF speed as the AF speed when using CDAF is highly dependant on how fast the EF lens can rack back and forth through the focus range.

raist3d

120fps refresh rate of the EVF will come at the cost of a lower resolution.
Maybe, but we need to see when the camera is out. Not necessarily.

It is made for those who wants/need much faster reaction time (decisive moment etc..) but not well suited for MF, where you want the magnifier to show all the resolution that can be had. I'm not sure about battery life .. never use that fast setting on the A7r A7rm2. But doesn't the A7rm2 have the same 120fps refresh rate ?
Well to be clear: I am not saying the 120fps refresh rate may not have tradeoffs. I am sure battery life is one of them (there's no other way around that, or they would just leave it on all the time). My point is more about something new over the A6000 and the option. Even if the option has a tradeoff- as you said- it could be very useful for someone capturing sports.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Fair enough about the new copper wiring leading to better SNR - this is of course what we're after. But where did everyone get the idea that the A7RII (with BSI) has a higher pixel density than the A6300? If the A7RII has a high enough pixel density or small enough pixel pitch to take advantage of BSI, surely the A6300 does as well!

Here's an overview of the matter:

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Sony-A6000-Sony-A7R-II.html

One way or the other, I know that all of us would like to have a unit in hand to SEE what this little cam is capable of!
Well certainly I could get it wrong. But at least from my view Sony is a world class sensor designer, and if they didn't pick BSI for this design (given the 1'' sensors they do are now at BSI or multi-stacked) and the full frame is at the BSI level, I would think they probably know something we don't.

And the copper wiring maybe provided them the perfect balance of noise and speed they required for doing the faster AF, the faster EVF refresh, the 8fps with minimal blackout, and still better image quality.

Engineering is about tradeoffs. Maybe BSI would have helped with noise but not speed. Maybe the body size is small enough that perhaps power dissipation/heat because a concern with BSI. There could be m any reasons. Either way, this sensor is a step forward from the A6000's and most likely, the one Fuji is using as a base for their new Xpro 2 which by all accounts so far is looking pretty darn good.

- Ricardo

dmward

I didn't see anyone addressing the uncompressed raw questions.
The Sony site only says RAW without regard to compression. Other sources I've seen suggest that its uncompressed and compressed similar to the A7 series update. I even saw one source that said there was a lossless compressed option but don't remember where.

I guess this is something that we'll have to wait for a complete breakout of the menu structure to know for sure.

dmward

Looking at this camera has given me pause in evaluating my kit for weddings and events.
Most of the time large file size is not an advantage since it slows processing and increased the time required to FTP.

I was thinking about adding a second A7RII and shooting them in APS-C mode to get a smaller file. The would have the option to go FF if necessary.

The A6300 announcement suggests I could get 2 bodies for less than a used A7RII for use on jobs where file size doesn't need to be large. i.e. most work that is only going to be printed to 11x14 or used electronically. Still have the A7RII for those situations where I want the large file size.

The one thing that moved me to Sony from Fuji was the A7RII with large file size and FF sensor. I sold the Fuji because I didn't like having two kits. Now the A6300 is giving me an attractive option for APS-C with lens compatibility with high resolution FF A7RII

And, the adapter capabilities with E3 and Metabones IV EF makes it even more versatile.

V

Vivek

Of course, keeping it simple with one mount is always advantageous. It also helps to have the same system flash options.

adamk

I am rather new to these 4/3rd cameras, I've been shooting with Canon dSLR and MF digital for the past decade and am looking for a smaller camera and the 6300 seems great. Are there any lenses for this that are similar to the Canon Pancake lenses? I mostly shoot with primes and am not looking for a zoom option.

Additionally, If i wanted to mount the canon 24mm Pancake, do the adapters allow for Autofocus? And if so, does it work realistically? or is it just better to use a SONY lens that is built for this system?

Thanks for taking time with my newbie questions!

daf

what do you expect to gain going aps-c?
If you already have an a7rII and lenses ... I would just go with A7II or A7SII

Looking at this camera has given me pause in evaluating my kit for weddings and events.
Most of the time large file size is not an advantage since it slows processing and increased the time required to FTP.

I was thinking about adding a second A7RII and shooting them in APS-C mode to get a smaller file. The would have the option to go FF if necessary.

The A6300 announcement suggests I could get 2 bodies for less than a used A7RII for use on jobs where file size doesn't need to be large. i.e. most work that is only going to be printed to 11x14 or used electronically. Still have the A7RII for those situations where I want the large file size.

The one thing that moved me to Sony from Fuji was the A7RII with large file size and FF sensor. I sold the Fuji because I didn't like having two kits. Now the A6300 is giving me an attractive option for APS-C with lens compatibility with high resolution FF A7RII

And, the adapter capabilities with E3 and Metabones IV EF makes it even more versatile.

Annna T

I am rather new to these 4/3rd cameras, I've been shooting with Canon dSLR and MF digital for the past decade and am looking for a smaller camera and the 6300 seems great. Are there any lenses for this that are similar to the Canon Pancake lenses? I mostly shoot with primes and am not looking for a zoom option.

Additionally, If i wanted to mount the canon 24mm Pancake, do the adapters allow for Autofocus? And if so, does it work realistically? or is it just better to use a SONY lens that is built for this system?

Thanks for taking time with my newbie questions!
The 4/3rd cameras are the first mirrorless cameras that were available. But the Sony 6300 is an APSC format with a bigger sensor (crop factor 1.5 instead of 2). Because of this you would get a better IQ at high ISO with the Sony 6300 than with and Olympus OMD, but the lenses will also be bigger and heavier than their MFT counterparts. Also the MFT aka micro-four-thirds cameras are produced since longer than the Sony Nex/alpha 6xxx and there are two players producing lenses for a single mount and sensor size. This means there are a lot more lenses available for MFT than for Sony Nex. There are three pancakes for the Sony E-Mount (16mm, 20mm and 16-50mm) and as far as I know they are not too well regarded (I think there is a zoom and a prime). here is a link to DPreview : Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

For MFT there are three pancakes primes : Panasonic 14mm F2.5 (equivalent 28mm on full frame), Olympus 17mm F2.8 (equivalent 34mm on FF but not really well reguarded), Panasonic 20mm F1.7 (an extremely sharp lens highly reguarded); there are also at least two pancakes zooms offering standard focal lengths, something like 14-42mm, but contrary to the primes they have somewhat slower max apertures and aren't very well reguarded). Really, if you want small lenses, the MFT/fourthirds format is better, even the normal lens remains small compared to Sony E/Nex lenses.

There is another forum dedicated to MFT bodies here. And you can choose between the bodies of two different manufacturers and cross mount the lenses if you want.

There is a Metabones Smart Adapter v. IV that allows AF for E-Mount bodies. They perform extremely well with the Canon A7rII, but it is a little early to know how they work with the new coming A6300; it will probably imply a firmware update for the adapter (the last version comes with an USB plug for this). On the A7r it was rather slow because only Contrast Detect was available. The game changed with the A7rII because it has an hybrid AF (can use both PDAF and CDAF). For my needs the Canon lenses are working perfectly and are fast. But they aren't as fast as on a Canon body, especially for Continuous AF and tracking. If you are into action or sport photography, then it isn't enough. Also in lower light, the AF performance diminish. But for landscape, architecture, slow moving subjects, portraits it is satisfying. Running children however may be a bit more challenging.

Also : what is a pancake on a Canon body is no more a pancake after you have added the adapter (the adapter is as big as the lens due to the short flange distance). My 40mm F2.8 pancake looks as big as the 35mm FE 2.8 lens once I have added the adapter.

Last edited: