The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone use a Ice Light or one of the other LED light sticks

Jim DE

I do so little artificial light photography outside that flashes and the various other lighting solutions used today have passed this old guy by. (where's my Strobonar and bulbs ;) ). Anyway I saw these Ice Lights and the lesser priced Sunpaks and the like in daylight balanced light wands used as fill or catch lighting. Anyone use these? Are they worth a hoot for anything? Seem very portable and small enough to use for various purposes. Wish I could find a daylight balanced variable power zoomable flashlight as that is all I really would ever need for those rare time's I may need a fill light afield.

Jim DE

Glen, thanks for the suggestion. That would be bigger than zi am looking for. Currently I carry a Tovatec TOIFLWAZOOMR
IFL WA Zoom-R Video Light/Flashlight which is close to what I am looking for except the light isn't variable in strength. Zoom lighting is even and temp is 5000-6000k

Jim DE

Guess no one wants to look like Darth Vader with a light saber in one hand and a a7 in the other ;) I thought it would be a easy carry fill light source for hike in work and could strap to the opposite side of the tripod on a backpack. Seems to get some great reviews from the wedding photog's. I stopped doing weddings/events back in early 70's.

iiiNelson

I believe Frank Doorhof uses Icelights and has some write ups on his site. He likes them specifically for fill lights or to alter the looks of images for his portraiture. His results seem really good but I can say that about his pics before the ice lights came about. In either case it's worth a read for another opinion from first hand usage.

FWIW he's a Sony (and Team Phase One) shooter so some of his impressions are geared towards use with Sony cameras.