The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander VM 35mm f/1.7 Ultron Lens test/ Plus comparisons to other 35

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Needless to say i have been through several 35mm lenses for the Sony A7 series cameras. Here is the latest lens I am trying now. Voigtlander VM 35mm f/1.7 Ultron Aspherical Lens which as you see this test your going to wonder why bother about this lens if your a landscape shooter and you would be correct. It has a lot of filed curvature to the point if you focused squarely on the middle of the frame your corners will not look reasonable until F8. Now I have not tried this but my belief is if you actually focused out of the center zone stopped down to F5.6 the DOF would carry until the middle zone. A test to be done. But centrally this lens is very sharp and it has a lot going for it as a environmental portrait type lens or street because it has great color, great falloff, and yes take advantage of the bokeh from the OOF areas and I will show some images later on bokeh, onion rings and such. I tested my Loxia 50 F2 at the same time so Ill just show some samples of that to compare against the VC 35 centrally and a corner so you have a reference on what your looking at but keep a open mind as this is a very nice lens but it is not your grandmas flat field lens, maybe your evil cousin. LOL

Later in this thread even though shot at different times and days i do run the same boring test on every lens at the same place the same spacing and all that and that will give us some idea how this lens and others get into our bags. This is going to take a bit as i have to find everything

But lets start with the VC 35mm 1.7 Ultron. BTW this is as small as a small lemon.

As you can see it struggles with the corners. I also ran a infinity test focused on a middle mountain and same result. I believe if you focused before infinity and stopped down you could get a sharp image over the full frame. But if you shoot landscape this maybe not the perfect lens for you IF you care about corners or are very anal about them. Again keep a open mind on usage and what you have in your hands on subject.

Now centrally its very nice, check this out against my Loxia 50

Another test in different area

Just a full image at 5.6

Okay moving on lets compare a few lenses at 5.6 which doing landscape type work maybe the minimum you would stop down. I usually use F8 and F11 if its a DOF issue but need to watch diffraction at F11

But 5.6 is a good comparison aperture. Now remember all these lenses are different test days so there could be some variable . But Im always the same framing as I move the camera depending on focal length but my frame of reference is always those two top lights. Its why i go to the same boring place all the time as i can compare lenses at different times i run the test. I know your all falling asleep. LOL

Tamron 35mm 1.8 SP lens

Now Im going to try and find similar images from other lenses . Obviously that will take some time but I will add those to this thread.

Infinity test

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Onion Rings

Booked test just the VC 35 here

Okay thats it for now. See if I can compare some more images

Comments and thoughts. Ill add more of that later

Barry Haines

Guy fantastic work yet again, that's a lot of hard work...Many thanks most appreciated...Lots for us all to digest before coming to any conclusions...Cheers Barry

V

Vivek

Guy, Thanks a bunch for doing this!

We do need a compact FE 35/2 similar to the FE 28/2 from Sony.

iiiNelson

Good test. In my opinion the Voigtlander 35/1.2 v2 is the best lens that they've released in M mount. The draw from up close to medium range is like a cross between the last two Leica M 35 Summiluxes. It lacks micro contrast at distance but for street or people shots it's special.

Luvwine

Good test. In my opinion the Voigtlander 35/1.2 v2 is the best lens that they've released in M mount. The draw from up close to medium range is like a cross between the last two Leica M 35 Summiluxes. It lacks micro contrast at distance but for street or people shots it's special.
The CV 35 1.2 is good at infinity once stopped down. It starts getting good at 5.6 but is, I think, at its best at F8. Agreed it sucks at infinity at large apertures but works great, as you indicate, at closer range from wide open.

iiiNelson

The CV 35 1.2 is good at infinity once stopped down. It starts getting good at 5.6 but is, I think, at its best at F8. Agreed it sucks at infinity at large apertures but works great, as you indicate, at closer range from wide open.
True but most lenses work well between f/5.6-8 I reality. That's why I didn't mention the performance in that range. Only the more open stuff.