The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trick of the Day/ Sensor cleaning

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Im sure Sony would never recommend this but trust me I have been cleaning these for years with swabs and eclipse. Today I was cleaning and you know that the sensor moves because of IBIS with camera off. But did you know if you turn the camera ON and there is no lens the sensor does not move . So it makes it far easier to clean a sensor with a swab when its not moving. Is this safe is your next question I can hear the thunder coming over the mountain. For me it is. Obviously the camera is on so you don't want to be pouring solution down its throat but I did not see any issues.

Now this comes from a guy that uses canned air which every manual on the planet says NO. As always proceed with caution. LOL

dmward

Im sure Sony would never recommend this but trust me I have been cleaning these for years with swabs and eclipse. Today I was cleaning and you know that the sensor moves because of IBIS with camera off. But did you know if you turn the camera ON and there is no lens the sensor does not move . So it makes it far easier to clean a sensor with a swab when its not moving. Is this safe is your next question I can hear the thunder coming over the mountain. For me it is. Obviously the camera is on so you don't want to be pouring solution down its throat but I did not see any issues.

Now this comes from a guy that uses canned air which every manual on the planet says NO. As always proceed with caution. LOL
I've noticed that for some reason the sensors on my A7RII and A7II get dirty much more easily than on other cameras. Not sure why and the moving sensor was disconcerting. I'll have to give this a try.