The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7R 11 with Sony 24-240 opinions?

dseelig

Sony A7R 11 with Sony 24-240 opinions Was thinking of getting this as a walk around lens in nature. How does it do? thanks

Knorp

It's a big beast, slowish and perhaps not razor sharp, but for my walk-around purposes it's doing pretty good.

bradhusick

I found this lens to be a little soft at both ends, more so at 240mm. It was enough of a problem that I sold it. The 70-200 f/4 is much sharper.

Knorp

I found this lens to be a little soft at both ends, more so at 240mm. It was enough of a problem that I sold it. The 70-200 f/4 is much sharper.
With my copy the long end at or near infinity indeed seems to be soft.
Perhaps it's my technique or the AF is off, still got to sort this out one day.

Kind regards.

Knorp

A few samples from a street event - Chinese New Year celebrations in Amsterdam (Zeedijk)

24mm

98mm

240mm

ggibson

I'm using mine on an A7, but I have found it to be pretty sharp from 24-70mm and OK from 70-240mm. Good enough for my purposes, especially since I'm getting a 24MP file that can be downsized. The lens is big by my standards, but for a 240mm full frame it seems compact to me.

Here is a 100% shot with the lens at 240mm, compared with a Panasonic 45-175mm (hopefully links work, I'm on mobile):

https://flic.kr/p/xkdkyo

And an album of images with the lens:

https://flickr.com/photos/28382374@N04/sets/72157659392228712

dmward

I like the combination.
I set the lens at F8 and shutter to Av, ISO at 400. If I'm concerned about light level then I'll put it to Auto ISO.

The lens isn't perfect but its acceptable and the range makes it the walk about lens of choice. I put the 16-35 in the bag just in case I need something really wide.